The Student Room Group

any tips on how to improve in maths?

i've got 2 maths exams left for gsces and i need atleast a grade 4 in maths to be accepted in sixth form
however i haven't been getting grade 4 in mocks any advice on how i could improve in maths with the few days that is until the 2nd maths exam
Reply 1
Have you done loads of practice questions? I think with maths thats the main thing. Probably focus on your worst/ the hardest topics and try to find trickier questions on them. Once you've got those topics it should help boost your grade. You could try making a list of topics you've struggled with in the mocks to focus on. Good luck :smile:
Original post by oursgrace
i've got 2 maths exams left for gsces and i need atleast a grade 4 in maths to be accepted in sixth form
however i haven't been getting grade 4 in mocks any advice on how i could improve in maths with the few days that is until the 2nd maths exam

Here are my tips on improving in maths:
- Go through your topic lists/specification and mark all the weak topics (even the ones where you're partially confident, because the aim is to be the most confident you can be in all the topics)
- Then look up video explanations on these topics (I recommend GCSE Maths Tutor and Cognito) and make brief notes including one or two examples on a sheet of paper
- After you've understood these topics, it's time to practice! I use maths genie, corbett maths and mme revise (PMT is also good) and you can either print out questions or just answer them straight into a notebook
- Whenever you do questions, don't feel disheartened if you come across a difficult question in a topic you're confident in - it just means you need to expand your understanding, so answer the question in any way you feel is reasonable, if you get stuck
- Finally, mark your answers, if you get anything wrong, copy down all the steps of the mark scheme so you have something to refer to later on

Those are my main tips, but don't stress too much, the main things you need for maths are 1) being able to improvise when you come across a difficult question (knowing how to approach a question, even if it's something you find difficult - that comes with practice) 2) recognising when you need to pull out an equation (revise your equations!)

I hope that helps and good luck with your exam! Keep pushing through!
Reply 3
Original post by oursgrace

Heya!
With limited time remaining, focus on identifying your weak areas in maths and prioritize studying those topics. Seek last-minute assistance from your teachers or peers for clarification and practice as many past papers + go over the mark schemes to familiarise yourself with the exam format and improve your problem-solving skills! Stay organised, manage your time effectively, and maintain a positive mindset to boost your confidence for the upcoming exams!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest