The Student Room Group

University Attendance

I've got an email, saying that I've missed two teaching sessions at University. One of these was a practical, on a day which I was genuinely ill and unable to attend University. The other however was a plagiarism lecture, which a lot of people , including myself missed due to thinking it was not important.

The lecturer who has sent this email has asked me to state why I missed these days. Should I just to the truth and say it won't happen again, or will it look bad that I deliberately missed a session?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Why would you think a plagiarism lecture isn't important? At most universities, every year there's a couple (at least) cases of plagiarism and it's a serious issue, which could even lead to expulsion.

It's very important, for example, that you know how to reference works properly because a lot of the time when people don't know how to do it, it could end up looking like they had plagiarised and tried to be snide about.

I don't think it was wise missing the lecture, thinking you know it all, but I don't think telling that to your lecturer is going to do you much good either.
if i were u id just say something that SOUNDS relatively honest (teachers hate excuses).

such as; i apologise i missed the two sessions; i know its not a great start and doesnt give me a great first impression. the first was due to illness, i had a cold thats forunately cleared up now, the second im afraid i dont have a valid excuse for, except to say it wont happen again, and il catch up with anything i missed. sorry for any inconvenience.

or something? :smile:
Reply 3
Of course it will look bad, but he will know you are lying if you say anything else. Just talk to him, and promise it won't happen again.
Reply 4
"With regards to the practical session on Monday 6th October, I had fallen ill with a cold at the weekend, and still hadn't recovered by this date, which unfortunately led to me having to miss all this day. I also failed to attend the "How to avoid plagiarism lecture", for which I do not have a valid reason, except to say it won't happen again. I apologise for my absences so far and the inconvenience caused ,will find out what I missed , and will ensure it does not happen again."

How is this for a reply?
Like the others have said just tell him "Sorry it won't happen again". Fact is your incharge of your learning now that your at uni. The tutors only get in contact if they think there's something wrong or like in your case you missed a couple of lectures. They only do it to make sure your ok, it's not like the school system.
Reply 6
What university is this? I never thought they chased people up on general lectures and things...
Reply 7
Birmingham Uni. In terms of general lectures, I think this plagiarism one is the only one that they have done a register in, the only other times they take registers are in lab practicals and tutorials.
Reply 8
Depends what course you are on.
If we dont attend lectures, no biggie. If a nurse never attends a lecture, lower then 95% attendence.... you are of the course.
At the Atrium in the first session of each module this year and last year they had to get everyone to write their names and student numbers on a piece of paper so they knew where everyone was! The organisation of the faculty is really flawed.
The_Sphere
Birmingham Uni. In terms of general lectures, I think this plagiarism one is the only one that they have done a register in, the only other times they take registers are in lab practicals and tutorials.

Crikey! I get a register sent round in most of my lectures!
In my film studies module last year we never had a register mind you there were usually about 200 of us.
Reply 12
wow! they record your presence, they dont do that at my uni
We get sheets sent around at Aston Business School for us to write our names on ... Ive missed a couple of lectures though and they've done the register in them but never followed up on it with an email. :p:
Reply 14
caaakeeey
Of course it will look bad, but he will know you are lying if you say anything else. Just talk to him, and promise it won't happen again.

They're not psychic.

Just say you were ill.
The first year is all about adjusting. These mistakes are common. Any degree course that is getting anal about attendance probably isnt worth continuing.
Nu Ordah!!!!!!!!!!!!
The first year is all about adjusting. These mistakes are common. Any degree course that is getting anal about attendance probably isnt worth continuing.

Actually most of the better unis will register attendance because they want every student to excel to their maximum potential and all lectures and tutorials are compulsory.
Reply 17
IanDangerously
Actually most of the better unis will register attendance because they want every student to excel to their maximum potential and all lectures and tutorials are compulsory.

That would be a very narrow minded approach to take, I should think.

In my experience, it's not the better unis or even the better courses that take attendance. Quite the opposite in fact.
Reply 18
I suspect that where universities are checking attendance they're doing it at least in part to protect themselves if students later turn around and claim the uni has failed them in some way.

Take the plagiarism lecture example. If a student plagiarises something in one of their essays, the uni can legitimately say "we told you, very clearly, what plagiarism is, what we expect from you, and what the consequences would be if you did plagiarise" and the student doesn't really have any comeback from that - otherwise, they may argue that they weren't clearly informed and didn't understand their responsibilities.

Equally, in terms of general attendance, if a student's attendance is poor and they then fail, they (or more likely their parents, who although their child is an adult may well still try to be heavily involved and who have in many cases made significant financial contributions) may turn around and say that the uni never indicated that there was a problem, and that they should have stepped in to prevent the student from failing in that way.

Equally, not attending lectures can be an indication of deeper problems. It may be that a student just can't be bothered, and to be honest, that's their choice. But it could also be a sign that the student is suffering from some significant problems - a developing mental illness, a medical condition, a major family issue, something like that - and, if so, the uni would be failing those students pretty badly if they never pick up on the fact that the student needed help and support because they just assumed their not turning up was due to a heavy night down the pub the night before, or whatever.
Persipan
I suspect that where universities are checking attendance they're doing it at least in part to protect themselves if students later turn around and claim the uni has failed them in some way.

A flatmate of mine last year had lectures (they were doing forensic science) which had an attendance of something like 150-200. She told me that several times they only got about 20-30 students attending and for one specific lecture they only got 4!!!

Take the plagiarism lecture example. If a student plagiarises something in one of their essays, the uni can legitimately say "we told you, very clearly, what plagiarism is, what we expect from you, and what the consequences would be if you did plagiarise" and the student doesn't really have any comeback from that - otherwise, they may argue that they weren't clearly informed and didn't understand their responsibilities.

I don't know whether this happens at other uni's but at Glamorgan before any work is handed in students have to add a cover sheet (printed from the Glamorgan Glamlife Blackboard site) which has a large paragraph warning about plagarism. Plus last year in one of the modules after an essay was handed in they held some back to be rechecked by an external examiner because they thought that plagiarism had occured. In all about 10 people (out of a class of 20) had they work withheld for this reason.

Equally, in terms of general attendance, if a student's attendance is poor and they then fail, they (or more likely their parents, who although their child is an adult may well still try to be heavily involved and who have in many cases made significant financial contributions) may turn around and say that the uni never indicated that there was a problem, and that they should have stepped in to prevent the student from failing in that way.

If you have failed though the uni allows you to retake either the year, if you failed everything or just the modules you failed. Our uni told us that if you do this though you have to pay to do it. One guy is having to redo his New Media module (he went to the first one and thought it was crap so didn't turn up to any more) and it's costing him £300 to redo.

Equally, not attending lectures can be an indication of deeper problems. It may be that a student just can't be bothered, and to be honest, that's their choice. But it could also be a sign that the student is suffering from some significant problems - a developing mental illness, a medical condition, a major family issue, something like that - and, if so, the uni would be failing those students pretty badly if they never pick up on the fact that the student needed help and support because they just assumed their not turning up was due to a heavy night down the pub the night before, or whatever.

The problem here at Glamorgan is that they put all the notes up on the Blackboard site meaning students can get them later. There are only a handful of reasons for not turning up to class: genuine illness (broken limb, flu etc hangovers don't count), family problems (funeral etc) or if your dropping out (as long as your not going to change your mind before you hand the form in).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending