The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

does Edinburgh uni look down on people who have dropped out of uni previously?

Planning on applying to Edinburgh for 2022 entry whilst still on my current course at a different uni with the intention to drop out if I am accepted. Prior to my current course I also dropped out of a different uni. So basically I've been on two courses already. Will this ruin my chances?
Why are you starting a course if you plan to drop out? That’s a very expensive (and silly) choice to make.

Just take a gap year and do something else for a year.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Why are you starting a course if you plan to drop out? That’s a very expensive (and silly) choice to make.

Just take a gap year and do something else for a year.

I am already on the course. Completed first year and currently on a leave of absence so about to go into second year, I'm staying on this course just incase Edinburgh doesn't accept me
Original post by Jinx_
I am already on the course. Completed first year and currently on a leave of absence so about to go into second year, I'm staying on this course just incase Edinburgh doesn't accept me

How are you planning to pay for this? You only get 1 gift year of funding to repeat or restart from student finance and it sounds like you already used that up before starting your current course.
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
How are you planning to pay for this? You only get 1 gift year of funding to repeat or restart from student finance and it sounds like you already used that up before starting your current course.

I didn't post a question about how am I going to finance my studies I posted a question about whether or not Edinburgh looks down on drop outs so idk why you're trying to have a nosey about someone's financial situation. If you're not going to actually answer the question then don't bother commenting 🙄
Original post by Jinx_
I didn't post a question about how am I going to finance my studies I posted a question about whether or not Edinburgh looks down on drop outs so idk why you're trying to have a nosey about someone's financial situation. If you're not going to actually answer the question then don't bother commenting 🙄

You’ll need to ask Edinburgh directly but to be frank I think an application from someone who has already started 2 other degrees in the last few years is going to raise red flags.

Unless you’re applying for a very unpopular course and have a very compelling explanation for why your 3rd degree choice is the right one and won’t lead to you leaving again then I wouldn’t rate your chances very high. I’d be happy to be proved wrong if Edinburgh tell you differently but IMO it’s an extremely long shot.

And I asked about funding because often students aren’t aware that they’ve used their gift year. Or if you’re self funding and an international and on a student visa you might not be aware of the requirements for academic progress and the time limitations on undergraduate study for student route visas.
I’m not sure look down is the right term. They will certainly want to know the reason that you’ve dropped out of two courses and had a leave of absence. You may of course have very good reasons for this. Are you trying to move to a course that is similar to the one you’re on now or completely different? Is the reason you’re leaving the course you’re now the same as the reason you left the first course you were on? If it is how would you convince Edinburgh that it won’t happen again? Do you have any evidence if it’s a medical reason or some other event that caused you to leave the first course? Do you have a reference who can say why you’re suitable to the new course?

Your academic record while on your current course will also be relevant. What sort of marks are you getting? Are you planning to apply to start course at the beginning or are you hoping to transfer into year two?

Your best bet as the post above says is to talk to Edinburgh directly. If the course you want to get on is very competitive I think your chances would be very small if however it’s a less demand course they might consider you. You have not given us nothing information to really be of any use to you.

However given how competitive Edinburgh is, unless you are an outstanding student I would see your chances were quite low. Paragraph
Original post by Jinx_

I’m not sure that responding in such a passive aggressive attitude to someone who asked a perfectly reasonable question is going to help you very much.
They were hardly poking about in your finances they were asking a question I’m trying to be helpful.
Reply 8
I applied (and got in) to Edinburgh whilst in my second year of a degree I was hating at another university. I had studied accounting and finance in my first year of uni, then switched to economics and marketing in second year, and then applied to Edinburgh to study Psychology.

I just explained in my personal statement why I wanted to study the new degree, and what I had learnt from my old degree that led me there. I took a consumer psychology approach in my personal statement, highlighting that studying business related courses in those two years made me realise I was more interested in the psychological side rather than the economic side. It worked out and I got a place. Just try to justify things in your personal statement! Also highlight the skills you will have developed in your time at university currently, and how that will help you on the programme you are applying to!

It's okay to not get it right the first time or the second time, as long as you are dedicated and are able to demonstrate why this is the right choice in your application then I don't see why they wouldn't take you as seriously as anyone else! I can't speak for every department, and I can't say they'll accept you because that is never guaranteed, but it worked out for me so there is nothing stopping you! Apply and see what happens, just really put time into getting that personal statement absolutely amazing and clear about why you've made the decision to change courses!

Good luck with everything!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending