The Student Room Group

What should I do about my dad who I keep falling out with?

Since 2 years ago, me and my dad have had 2 major fallings out where it has led me to live with my mum full time (my parents are divorced.) Each time we fall out, we never really talk about what happened and treat things as if they are normal again.
The issue now started off lots of minor things building up. I currently work on Saturdays for a long period of time which effects the time when I seem my dad. I normally only see him every fortnight weekend but due to me working it means I only see him for a day every fortnight. It also means I have to get a train late at night in order to get to his as he is currently living with his girlfriend. The bit that annoys me about this is having to get the train there which means I spend less time with him but also that his gfs kids are driven to their clubs that are the same distance away.
Another thing that happened was him and his gf falling out big time for the 3rd time in the past 2 months. I personally dont mind his gf but whenever I go there it is always them together doing something so I dont actually get any time with my dad. He doesnt seem to want to see it from my point of view though as we usually go on a morning cycle ride for an hour on the sunday. Almost every weekend for the past few weeks I have been over there, he has been consitantly 1 or 2 hours later than discussed which means that I lose out on time revising. The bit that makes it a whole load worse though is he never messages me to say he will be late. He also is a very early bird so its never like he is sleeping in.
I really dont know what to do as I have tried talking to him but he doesnt seem to listen. I have recently been really stressed with exams which he isnt that encouraging about. Like I said, he has recently fallen out with his gf so I was supporting him for the whole of this week but I was having a really bad yesterday and he said nothing to me except asking me if I wanted to go home. I understand he has alot on at the moment but so do I and that doesnt prevent me from supporting him.
What should I do?
Aw love I'm sorry to hear you're struggling, I have a very rocky relationship with my dad too so I see where you're coming from. I think you need to set clear boundaries with him and I know as the child this is hard to do but make sure you get him to meet you at the time you agree. Even if you just jokingly mention how he's always late or tell him you really need him there at that time because you have plans later. Maybe even cancelling if he arrives too late.. this way at least he understands that you to have a schedule to keep to. As for the train, is there a reason they can't pick you up? It doesn't seem fair and it sounds slightly lazy on their behalf to simply make you take the train instead of picking you up and spending time with you in the car. Could you ask for them to change the way you currently do things so that you can spend more time with him?
Reply 2
Original post by sofiavxx
Aw love I'm sorry to hear you're struggling, I have a very rocky relationship with my dad too so I see where you're coming from. I think you need to set clear boundaries with him and I know as the child this is hard to do but make sure you get him to meet you at the time you agree. Even if you just jokingly mention how he's always late or tell him you really need him there at that time because you have plans later. Maybe even cancelling if he arrives too late.. this way at least he understands that you to have a schedule to keep to. As for the train, is there a reason they can't pick you up? It doesn't seem fair and it sounds slightly lazy on their behalf to simply make you take the train instead of picking you up and spending time with you in the car. Could you ask for them to change the way you currently do things so that you can spend more time with him?

thank you for your reply! The weird thing is he understands that being roughly on time is important. When I used to live with him, I had to be home by a set time and if we were even 5 minutes late, he would have a massive go at us. As for the trains, there is literally no reason. Its a half hour car journey to pick me up which although isnt a lot, means that I get to have that bit extra time with him. I have asked him multiple times to change and it never actually happens. He just ends up getting more and more distant each time I ask. I really don't know what to do now as I dont want to lose him as a parent but I also want a parent who is actually going to be here for me and not just on their own terms
Original post by Anonymous
thank you for your reply! The weird thing is he understands that being roughly on time is important. When I used to live with him, I had to be home by a set time and if we were even 5 minutes late, he would have a massive go at us. As for the trains, there is literally no reason. Its a half hour car journey to pick me up which although isn't a lot, means that I get to have that bit extra time with him. I have asked him multiple times to change and it never actually happens. He just ends up getting more and more distant each time I ask. I really don't know what to do now as I dont want to lose him as a parent but I also want a parent who is actually going to be here for me and not just on their own terms

I think communication is your only option, what else could you do? I think you need to explain everything you just explained above to him in the calmest and most non- accusatory tone possible (to avoid him getting defensive and stop listening) Would bringing your mum into it help at all? Could she talk to him or would that make matters worse? You won't lose him as a parent as long as both of you want to make the relationship work and it sounds like he needs to step up in order for that to work :frown:
Original post by Anonymous
Since 2 years ago, me and my dad have had 2 major fallings out where it has led me to live with my mum full time (my parents are divorced.) Each time we fall out, we never really talk about what happened and treat things as if they are normal again.
The issue now started off lots of minor things building up. I currently work on Saturdays for a long period of time which effects the time when I seem my dad. I normally only see him every fortnight weekend but due to me working it means I only see him for a day every fortnight. It also means I have to get a train late at night in order to get to his as he is currently living with his girlfriend. The bit that annoys me about this is having to get the train there which means I spend less time with him but also that his gfs kids are driven to their clubs that are the same distance away.
Another thing that happened was him and his gf falling out big time for the 3rd time in the past 2 months. I personally dont mind his gf but whenever I go there it is always them together doing something so I dont actually get any time with my dad. He doesnt seem to want to see it from my point of view though as we usually go on a morning cycle ride for an hour on the sunday. Almost every weekend for the past few weeks I have been over there, he has been consitantly 1 or 2 hours later than discussed which means that I lose out on time revising. The bit that makes it a whole load worse though is he never messages me to say he will be late. He also is a very early bird so its never like he is sleeping in.
I really dont know what to do as I have tried talking to him but he doesnt seem to listen. I have recently been really stressed with exams which he isnt that encouraging about. Like I said, he has recently fallen out with his gf so I was supporting him for the whole of this week but I was having a really bad yesterday and he said nothing to me except asking me if I wanted to go home. I understand he has alot on at the moment but so do I and that doesnt prevent me from supporting him.
What should I do?

I don't know if you are still receiving replies from here.. But a lot of things you said about your dad resonate with me and my relationship with my dad. I read that this post was 2 years ago.. I'd love to know if you sorted it out and if so... How??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending