The Student Room Group
BPP University
BPP University

General Experiences with BPP

Long story short I'm due to finish BPP university in August. I'm doing a now-cancelled Business Management Undergraduate course that I started in September 2017 but have had to push back finishing repeatedly due to the university's own shortcomings. My time here has been absolutely awful and I feel robbed to have taken out the loans to attend this course. The administration is a joke, and no one there cares about the students whatsoever any further than what money they can extract from them. Was wondering if anybody else has also had as bad an experience as me? Or have I truly been a one-off that's fallen through the cracks?

Some general ideas from my experience:

- The administration is a joke, your queries are chucked around like a hot potato between departments and it sometimes takes weeks to resolve basic issues.

- Students just seem to fail everything 2-3 times until they pass or drop out: BPP doesn't need to care as failure = profit.

- Some lecturers were so rude to international students to get them to behave, and often saw fit to repeatedly mention how much money their parents were paying to send them there.

- They don't teach concepts, they teach you how to pass the assessments: creativity and originality are penalised.

- Seems like they do the bare minimum to satisfy external moderators.

- Don't care about your progression at all: happy to just tell you to mitigate and try again in 4 months like you've got nothing else going on in your life.

- Interdepartmental communication is a pisstake.

- Appeals processes are shambolic and degrading.

- Operates to their bulletproof organisational code that seems to put the students at fault every step of the way.

- Incredibly high student dropout rates: my classes started with 20-30 people and by the end only 7/8 per class. Assuming not everyone came to a class sometimes there would just be 2 of us plus a lecturer.

Curious to hear other people's perspective.
Dear rbootes,

My experience has been the polar opposite of yours. I started my LPC LLM last September and have been very blessed to be the first cohort who could gain remote access full-time. I had a fair share of bumps on the road due to personal life such as relocation, house move, landlord issues and not to mention multiple COVID vaccinations during a British winter. My personal experience has been:

Queries have been dealt with promptly and efficiently both on the phone and online.

Have not met anyone in my course at BPP who failed but one older gentleman did drop out due to his work commitments and as he was always on the move and could not commit to the course demands i.e. seminar preparations.

Taking full responsibility for one's own learning is a norm at any university as this is what has been expected of me during my undergrad at Exeter Uni too.

I can not comment on International Students as I am a Home student but I can imagine the layers of challenges that an International Student might face ranging from the language barriers to cultural understanding as well as a huge shift in expectations from teachers in UK uni as opposed to teachers at schools and colleges in an international setting. All these challenges can be exacerbated by the mere fact of living away from loved ones/support systems.

BPP seminars are 100% assessment based which is definitely helpful to score well and pass exams but this is the same I experienced at Exeter seminars too.

Appeals at Universities have changed drastically due to COVID as Universities brought many measures to mitigate impacts of COVID on students education since many of these factors such as housing, loss of loved ones, losses in earnings and many others were beyond student's control.

Best
Farzana
LPC LLM student
BPP ambassador
BPP University
BPP University

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending