The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Credit Transfer From OU to Brick Uni

I do not have any A levels and was wondering if in place of this I could use credits that I earn from an open uni qualification to transfer to a brick uni in the second year. How would I go about this?

Also if it is possible to do this, should I start an Open uni degree, or go for the certificate/diploma if it makes a difference that is.

And would this affect anything to do with student finance etc?

Any advice welcomed :smile:
Some universities will accept OU credits in place of traditional entry requirements for Some courses, not all.
Some will accept the first level of OU study and allow you to transfer into second year of the degree, others will only accept it as entry to first year.
There are many people who have done it this way but it is not accepted everywhere and for every course.
I would suggest thinking about where and what you wanted to study and emailing those universities to see what their policy would be.

Funding is slightly complicated so it would depend on what award you were given. I think the easiest option is to register on the degree and not take an exit award in which case I believe your funding for full time would be untouched (not 100% sure on that though-it may be better for you to ask that question in the “ask SFE” forum.)
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Which degree? There are some formal transfer schemes for physics, chemistry and environmental science courses.
@ajj2000 either business studies, law or international studies
Reply 4
Original post by gemmasaurusrex
@ajj2000 either business studies, law or international studies

Ah, I dont think those work under the scheme. Wouldn't access courses be the simplest option? I think there can be an issue with funding if you do OU courses then go to a brick university.
Reply 5
Original post by GabiAbi84
Some universities will accept OU credits in place of traditional entry requirements for Some courses, not all.
Some will accept the first level of OU study and allow you to transfer into second year of the degree, others will only accept it as entry to first year.
There are many people who have done it this way but it is not accepted everywhere and for every course.
I would suggest thinking about where and what you wanted to study and emailing those universities to see what their policy would be.

Funding is slightly complicated so it would depend on what award you were given. I think the easiest option is to register on the degree and not take an exit award in which case I believe your funding for full time would be untouched (not 100% sure on that though-it may be better for you to ask that question in the “ask SFE” forum.)

Good morning,

I know I’m late to the party here but I’m in a similar situation, at the OU about to sit my second year exams which will be 240 credits completed. Will I be able to transfer to a brick uni for the start of second year. I have no A-Levels and have been studying at a rate of 120 credits a year.

Quick Reply

Latest