The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

transfer from sussex to Bristol (or others)?

I've just completed my second year at Sussex and, to be honest, I've been really dissatisfied with my experience there. This is actually the third year in a row that I've wanted to quit Sussex - I was reconsidering before I even went and also at this time last year, and now I wish I changed unis back then.

If I'm honest, the main reason I want to transfer to Bristol or other unis is because -- and I know this might sound stuck up -- I feel that I'm wasting my potential and my a level grades by going to sussex. I got a*aa and when choosing universities I didn't really give much thought to it. I have done quite well this year (all firsts so far) and got a 2:1 overall last year.

I will probably be too scared to make any crazy decisions like this, and to be honest in the end I will probably just stick with sussex because it's what I'm familiar with and what I know, but does anyone have any advice? I feel like if I graduate from Sussex I'll just regret it forever. I know I could do a masters at a more prestigious university, and that is something I want to do, but I also want to go to a prestigious uni for undergrad too.

Thanks in advance!
Not sure what your problem with Sussex is. Have you looked at their alumni? It is clearly a top uk university and having a degree from there will not hold you back anymore than one from Bristol. Can you be sure that you would find the course at Bristol better? Why should it be? Are there other factors affecting your experience at Sussex? No one can help you decide what to do unless you are more specific about what the problem is. Sussex does not finish much lower than Bristol in league tables and employers would be pleased to interview graduates from either. Perhaps Bristol has a better reputation wrt the subject you are taking? Even so, Sussex has a credible reputation for most subjects.
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Original post by Anonymous
I've just completed my second year at Sussex and, to be honest, I've been really dissatisfied with my experience there. This is actually the third year in a row that I've wanted to quit Sussex - I was reconsidering before I even went and also at this time last year, and now I wish I changed unis back then.

If I'm honest, the main reason I want to transfer to Bristol or other unis is because -- and I know this might sound stuck up -- I feel that I'm wasting my potential and my a level grades by going to sussex. I got a*aa and when choosing universities I didn't really give much thought to it. I have done quite well this year (all firsts so far) and got a 2:1 overall last year.

I will probably be too scared to make any crazy decisions like this, and to be honest in the end I will probably just stick with sussex because it's what I'm familiar with and what I know, but does anyone have any advice? I feel like if I graduate from Sussex I'll just regret it forever. I know I could do a masters at a more prestigious university, and that is something I want to do, but I also want to go to a prestigious uni for undergrad too.

Thanks in advance!

Hello, I am really sorry to hear that you have not enjoyed your time at Sussex as much as you have hoped to. Is there anything specific that has negatively impacted your university experience? What could have been done to better support you? Also, have you discussed your concerns with your Academic Advisor or a Student Life Centre Advisor? If not, you may find it useful to have these conversations; so that you can make the most informed decision, regarding whether or not to transfer to another institution. Ultimately this is your decision; however, it is worth acknowledging all the cons and pros of transferring, such as the additional university fees (since most likely you will have to repeat at least your 2nd year); numerous transition-related challenges (making new friends, settling into new town, etc.); in contrast to potentially (but not necessarily) a more positive university experience that meets your personal needs and wants; and an achievement of a diploma from a more prestigious university. In respect to the latter, completing an undergraduate degree at any institution will definitely not be seen in a negative light by any employer, given that you manage to secure at least a 2:1 overall degree mark; but, it is understandable that you may wish to change university, if the course is not meeting your expectations. Nonetheless, I would strongly advise you to contact you School/ Academic Advisor, or anyone else that you trust at the university, before making any final decisions. Let me know if you would like me to provide you with any specific contact or if you have any questions. I wish you all the best and hope that your university experience will be better the next academic year, regardless of whether you choose to stay at Sussex or not. :smile:

Best Wishes,
Kasia (4th Year Medical Neuroscience Student, MSci with a Year Abroad)
(edited 2 years ago)
i felt the exact same way you are feeling and although you can look into alumni or league tables if you're not feeling it you're just not feeling it! i transferred after my first year and am having the most amazing time at my new uni, maybe like me sussex just isn't for you.
i would call up other uni's admissions departments and talk to them, if you have decent grades and a reference you should be okay. i'm not sure how it works transferring into third year as i transferred into second, but you probably wont have to repeat everything. i hope it all works out!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending