The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Is £3500 enough to live on for a year of uni?

Quick info, I'm going to Edinburgh uni, live with family still, get free tuition since I'm Scottish. Don't know if this is enough to last the year, don't want to get a job if I already have enough cash.
It's unclear, are you going to be living with your family during term time? If so then the assumption by the funding bodies is usually that you aren't going to be paying rent, and £3500 is more than enough to buy any needed materials for your course and do some food shopping etc now and then. If your parents are expecting you to pay rent you should discuss how much is feasible in view of the (presumably reduced due to living at home with the assumption by them you won't be paying rent) loan you are getting from SAAS.
(edited 2 years ago)
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
with any rent, no; with only reasonable living costs, yes
Original post by Waxhousepop
Quick info, I'm going to Edinburgh uni, live with family still, get free tuition since I'm Scottish. Don't know if this is enough to last the year, don't want to get a job if I already have enough cash.

No.
I dont know Edinburgh well but ballpark accommodation at £100pw which is roughly £5000 per year.
Bills £20pw thats another £1000 ish
Food £30-£50 per week £2000 ish
+
Entertainment/lifestyle costs
Travel
Holidays/birthdays
miscellaneous costs (think personal hygiene/cleaning/course costs/computer/phone...)
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
I'm not going to be renting I'm going to be living with my family.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending