The Student Room Group
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames

Did you know that you could learn a language for free at Kingston University?

Kingston University offers a wide range of student societies, sport clubs and interesting events. During my first year there I have to admit that one of the hardest things I had to do was to control myself to be realistic and join only a few clubs and not to all of them (as I wanted). In the end I joined boxing, Italian and the psychology society. So, today I want to tell you a bit about my experience learning Italian at Kingston University and the language scheme.

The language scheme at Kingston University offers a choice of 10 languages including: Arabic, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Mandarin (Chinese), Portuguese. Russian, Spanish. Each language is taught for 2 hours a week. This is completely free, so if you are interested just keep in mind that the terms commence in October and then there is another chance to join in January.

If you are not too sure yet, I will leave you here a few reason why you should give it a go:

It is a great way to meet new people :beer:: Let’s be honest, during the first year the majority of us want to meet new people. Learning a language will help you to meet people that you would have not met otherwise. Thanks to the language scheme I met Venezuelan guy and a Chinese girl that could speak 5 languages already.

Becoming more employable :cyber:: If you are going to uni, you are probably looking for things that look great on your CV. Speaking a second or third language is one of those things that employers love.

It is good for your brain :thumbsup:✨: I am a psychology student, of course I had to casually drop something about the brain here. According to a study done by Dr. Thomas Bak, young adults proficient in two languages performed better on attention tests and had better concentration than those who spoke only one language.

It will probably force you to organise yourself better 📖: I don’t know about you, but I am the queen of procrastination and if I don't have a thousand things to do I tend to put them off until the last minute. Please do not get me wrong, I am not recommending you sign up to more than you can handle, but having a manageable amount of things to do sometimes can help you to force yourself to organise yourself better and get things done.

Prepare yourself for a year abroad, maybe? ✈️: Loads of courses at Kingston University offer you the opportunity to do a year abroad, so if you are planning to go to a country where you know they speak Spanish for example, maybe it is time to start practising your “r” and how to order tacos and burritos in Spanish.

IT IS FUN 😂: It will allow you to sound like a 5 year old child again and nobody can judge you because you are learning a new language. When I was learning English I used to tell everyone that my country was full of beautiful “*****es” (trying to say beaches, of course) but it was absolutely fine because English is not my first language.

If all these was not enough to convince you or you would like to learn a bit more about the language scheme, here is the link with all the information you need https://www.kingston.ac.uk/kingston-language-scheme

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending