The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

University of sussex- Engineering foundation level

For previous or current students studying this course.

I can’t find much information in terms of modules taught. I am interested in sustainable engineering. Is this something that is touched upon in this course?

Thanks in advance
Original post by KingRich

I can’t find much information in terms of modules taught. I am interested in sustainable engineering. Is this something that is touched upon in this course?

Thanks in advance

Sussex isn't that well known for Engineering .. are you looking at other unis too?
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
Sussex isn't that well known for Engineering .. are you looking at other unis too?

I’m a mature student, so in reality I’m grounded in terms of location. University of Surrey my other choice.

I have a friend who studied the same course, at Sussex who is also a mature student but this was a while ago now, however he had great things to say about the course.
I’m a mature student, so in reality I’m grounded in terms of location. University of Surrey my other choice.

I have a friend who studied the same course, at Sussex who is also a mature student but this was a while ago now, however he had great things to say about the course.

I would say Surrey is stronger ... but not if it means lots of time spent travelling. Why noy contact the uni and ask? :smile:
Reply 4
I would say Surrey is stronger ... but not if it means lots of time spent travelling. Why noy contact the uni and ask? :smile:

I have been invited to attend a virtual interview, this is one of the questions I will be asking. Attending Surrey would be downside in terms of travelling. There’s a train station that practically drops me outside of sussex which is a five minute walk from my house.
I have been invited to attend a virtual interview, this is one of the questions I will be asking. Attending Surrey would be downside in terms of travelling. There’s a train station that practically drops me outside of sussex which is a five minute walk from my house.

Stick with Sussex then - long commutes are not a good idea :smile:
Reply 6
Stick with Sussex then - long commutes are not a good idea :smile:

Thank you for the advice

To introduce myself I’m Joao, starting next semester I will be in my final year studying BSc Economics at Surrey University. I recently finished my one-year industrial placement as an Economist for the British Government’s Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra). I also had the opportunity to work as a Private Secretary of the Minister for Rural Affairs and Biosecurity Lord Benyon.

It's a very difficult decision choosing what university to attend, however some tips I have is to look closer into each course, the modules etc. From there, have a general idea of what course you like better, what modules appeal to you more. You can also look at the university itself, compare the universities based on facilities, support or literally anything you think is important to you for a university to have. That way you are taking into account many factors that may help you decide. I would also suggest speaking to your family and friends about each university and see which one you're more passionate about when speaking to them

I hope this helps, and if you do have any questions specific to Surrey or uni in general, please let me know! :smile:

Joao
Economics

Thanks in advance

Hello, thank you for your question.

Unfortunately, myself I have also not studied engineering. However, as a current Sussex University undergraduate student, overall, I have definitely been pleased with the quality of the tuition and the support that I have received throughout my neuroscience degree. Furthermore, Brighton is a lovely place to live; both in terms of the culturally diverse and welcoming environment, as well as, the attractive scenery. For instance, myself I very much enjoy the long distance walks around the South Downs Park and along the beach - a potentially great way to relax and clear your head after a long day of studies! Furthermore, I have had so many opportunities to meet and get to know a vast number of students from all over the world and from a range of different cultural and socio-economic backgrounds. I do feel this has considerably boosted my awareness of the social issues and most definitely boosted my communication and networking skills. Moreover, the huge range of clubs and societies on offer and the availability of the numerous social events throughout the year; on campus and off-campus certainly do add to the university experience! Lastly, throughout my university journey, I have been fortunate to benefit from a fairly easy access to a vast number of employment options - something which I do believe has really boosted my career prospects, as well as, focussed my professional aspirations and ambitions; beyond what I have initially expected.

Please do let me know if you would like any more details about anything I have mentioned above. Also, to find out a bit more about the engineering courses specifically I would recommend making the best use out of the following resources/contacts available:

1. Engineering School Open Day Videos
2. Department of Engineering - Videos providing examples of Student Achievements
3. School of Engineering - key contacts
4. Chat to student ambassadors on Unibuddy (Aaron may be especially a useful person to talk to about the details of the module content since he currently studies Mechanical Engineering with Robotics BEng)

Lastly, given that you are interested in sustainable engineering, you may find it beneficial to read a bit more about the Sussex Sustainability and Research Programme (SSRP). In summary, SSRP is a collaboration between the four schools at the University (Business Management and Economics, including the Science Policy Research Unit; Global Studies; Law Politics and Sociology; and Life Sciences) and the Institute of Development Studies. Furthermore, SSRP is also working with a number of other schools, including Engineering and Informatics; Brighton and Sussex Medical School; and have external partners across more than 20 countries globally.

Overall, I would say it is crucial to think carefully about which university will fit your academic style and successfully accommodate all of your personal needs. I wish you the best of luck, regardless of where you choose to study! All and all, please do let me know if you have any questions that I might be able to answer .

Best Wishes,
Kasia (4th Year Medical Neuroscience Student MSci with a Year Abroad)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending