The Student Room Group

Accredited or normal degree

Is an accredited degree in mechanical engineering that much more different to a normal mechanical engineering degree. And if so how much?
Original post by Baacil
Is an accredited degree in mechanical engineering that much more different to a normal mechanical engineering degree. And if so how much?

I think this varies between universities and also what your aspirations are. For example, if you want to pursue Professional Registration (Incorporated Engineer, Chartered Engineer, etc.) then an accredited course will make that easier as it's recognised by the Professional Institutes, however, studying a non-accredited course will not prevent you from gaining registration, it will just be a slightly different process.

Are there specific mechanical engineering courses that you are trying to decide between?
Reply 2
Original post by brainzistheword
I think this varies between universities and also what your aspirations are. For example, if you want to pursue Professional Registration (Incorporated Engineer, Chartered Engineer, etc.) then an accredited course will make that easier as it's recognised by the Professional Institutes, however, studying a non-accredited course will not prevent you from gaining registration, it will just be a slightly different process.

Are there specific mechanical engineering courses that you are trying to decide between?

At Brighton their course is non accredited. And at Sussex I would have to do a foundation year to get in but it's accredited
Original post by Baacil
At Brighton their course is non accredited. And at Sussex I would have to do a foundation year to get in but it's accredited

Do you know what they cover in the course? Does one course appeal more to you than the other?
Original post by Baacil

Why is their course not accredited? If it's because it's new it doesn't matter, but an established course that is not accredited is maybe a little suspect.

Quick Reply

Latest