The Student Room Group

Is it stupid to choose my lower offer?

So I have offers from both Sheffield Hallam and the University of Reading for Psychology. Sheffield Hallam is fairly low on the psych league table, whereas Reading is high up. I like both unis, they both have pros and cons, but for me it comes down to the fact that people say there's barely anything to do in Reading, and I was looking for a more enriching lifestyle... every time I've imagined uni, I've imagined living in a city with lots to immerse myself in.

I'm less keen on the Sheffield Hallam psych department and its modules... but I'm just so in love with the city of Sheffield itself, and so put off by Reading that it's tempting to sacrifice league tables, and teaching quality etc for the better lifestyle. I've had a very rough six years, have never experienced city life or anything close, and I really want uni to be a new, better, exciting start for me.

Then again, if I went to Hallam and my course seemed disjointed and lacking, I would probably regret going. It is 9k a year for education, after all. It's such a hard decision to make.

I also have an offer from Nottingham Trent, which is much higher than Hallam on the psych league table, but I've heard bad things about the university.

Thoughts? I'm going insane over this.
Not daft at all. Higher grade requirements doesn’t mean a better course, only that they probably have more applicants per place.

If you’ve done your research and prefer the vibe of the uni with the lower requirements, go for it.
I've studied at Trent and although I did drop out and it was a new course so had teething issues, I did enjoy my time there. I only dropped out because of personal/health issues. You can also travel from Notts to Sheffield quite easily. Give them a visit and see what you think before jumping into a decision.
It’s stupid to put any decisions on UCAS this early. April at the earliest.
Reply 4
Just check that the course you want to do is accredited - Accreditation | BPS - then pick the course/Uni that feels right for you.
Reply 5
Original post by kiremio
So I have offers from both Sheffield Hallam and the University of Reading for Psychology. Sheffield Hallam is fairly low on the psych league table, whereas Reading is high up. I like both unis, they both have pros and cons, but for me it comes down to the fact that people say there's barely anything to do in Reading, and I was looking for a more enriching lifestyle... every time I've imagined uni, I've imagined living in a city with lots to immerse myself in.

I'm less keen on the Sheffield Hallam psych department and its modules... but I'm just so in love with the city of Sheffield itself, and so put off by Reading that it's tempting to sacrifice league tables, and teaching quality etc for the better lifestyle. I've had a very rough six years, have never experienced city life or anything close, and I really want uni to be a new, better, exciting start for me.

Then again, if I went to Hallam and my course seemed disjointed and lacking, I would probably regret going. It is 9k a year for education, after all. It's such a hard decision to make.

I also have an offer from Nottingham Trent, which is much higher than Hallam on the psych league table, but I've heard bad things about the university.

Thoughts? I'm going insane over this.

Have you visited Reading? I've never heard it described as 'barely anything to do'.

Go for the best accredited course that you feel is interesting.

No need to firm anything yet and pick your favourite when you do ignoring the grades.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Muttley79
Have you visited Reading? I've never heard it described as 'barely anything to do'.

Go for the best accredited course that you feel is interesting.

No need to firm anything yet and pick yoy favourite when ou do ignoring the grades.

I haven't visited the actual town, only the uni. I just hear everyone who attends Reading saying there's barely anything to do during the day - just a few shops, not even a place to go bowling... compared to a city that's quite barren. Correct me if I'm wrong though; I'm just going by what I've heard.
I used to be a lecturer in psychology. Reading's psychology department has an excellent and well-deserved reputation within the field. I don't know much about Hallam, only that all their staff were offered voluntary redundancy in December, which means there are likely to be some big cuts happening there.

After you graduate you can apply for jobs wherever you like, but with restrictions on student funding as they are, this will probably be your only chance to get a good undergraduate degree. Personally I would prioritise the quality of the course over every other consideration. Reading is a big town (it has a bigger population than some cities) and it's only 25 minutes on the train from London, so I'd be puzzled if you couldn't find things to do!
Reply 8
Original post by TheMedicOwl
I used to be a lecturer in psychology. Reading's psychology department has an excellent and well-deserved reputation within the field. I don't know much about Hallam, only that all their staff were offered voluntary redundancy in December, which means there are likely to be some big cuts happening there.

After you graduate you can apply for jobs wherever you like, but with restrictions on student funding as they are, this will probably be your only chance to get a good undergraduate degree. Personally I would prioritise the quality of the course over every other consideration. Reading is a big town (it has a bigger population than some cities) and it's only 25 minutes on the train from London, so I'd be puzzled if you couldn't find things to do!

This is actually really helpful, thank you so much! The staff being offered voluntary redundancy definitely would explain things... there's only one person listed on the psychology staff page now too, which backs this up. Definitely feel like I might dodge a bullet here by choosing Reading. It's surprising though as Hallam currently has plans for a whole new psychology building? Perhaps their department will recover in a few years when that's all settled in.
Reply 9
Original post by kiremio
I haven't visited the actual town, only the uni. I just hear everyone who attends Reading saying there's barely anything to do during the day - just a few shops, not even a place to go bowling... compared to a city that's quite barren. Correct me if I'm wrong though; I'm just going by what I've heard.

A few shops?? I've been there a few times and there are several massive shopping centres. A quick google found places to bowl. As I said I think you need to listen to a few more people!
Reply 11
Original post by PQ
It’s stupid to put any decisions on UCAS this early. April at the earliest.

accom opens early feb though and sells out incredibly fast, so i cant rly wait
Just noting that SH guarantees accommodation to all 1st years who apply through their service.

Applying early gives some weighting to your preference, but they don’t guarantee what you’ll get.

From what I can tell, you’ll only get a room offer once you go unconditional.

https://www.shu.ac.uk/study-here/accommodation/support-and-useful-information/frequently-asked-questions
Reply 13
As above - be wary of any rumours or claims by Unis about 'apply for accom early or you will miss out'.
Its pressure selling and usually total nonsense.
Original post by kiremio
accom opens early feb though and sells out incredibly fast, so i cant rly wait

That would break UCAS rules. You can report any communication that implies or states this to [email protected]

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending