The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Are sheffield lenient in clearing?

Im looking to apply to Sheffield in clearing for Physics/Theoretical Physics/Maths, the grades for these courses on the website are around AAB but i think i might get something more like ABB/ABC, do I have any chance of getting accepted in clearing?
Ring them up and ask them directly
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
HI @turkeytown4,

Great to hear you are considering Sheffield for university!

I have just graduated from Sheffield after studying Psychology there for the past three years. When I was picking between my universities I was a little apprehensive like you, wondering what grades I would actually come out with and wether or not they would meet the requirements for Sheffield. Overall, I did meet my requirements so clearing was not something I went through. However, many of my friends did not meet their requirements and did go through clearing so I thought I might be able to give a little bit of information.

After firming Sheffield, people often withdraw applications, or change their mind so there are often places available at Sheffield through clearing. Every course will differ depending on how many places they have initially, how many students they accept and how many clearing places they have on offer so it is hard to give a definitive answer.

In my experience - one of my friends applied for the psychology course at Sheffield, she needed AAB to meet the requirements, but came out with ABC and was still accepted through clearing. Obviously this might differ year to year, but I wanted to show that if you dont meet the requirements initially you will still have a chance at getting into Sheffield through clearing.

If when you get your results you do not meet the requirements, I would advise getting in touch with Sheffield as soon as possible to enquire about clearing options as places can be filled extremely quickly.

I hope this helps, if you do have any other questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Ella
BSc Psychology
University of Sheffield
An old thread but are you saying Sheffield advertised AAB in clearing, but she phoned up anyway on results day with ABC and they accepted her?
Original post by jimmybonds007
An old thread but are you saying Sheffield advertised AAB in clearing, but she phoned up anyway on results day with ABC and they accepted her?

It sounds like the rep above is talking about someone who had Sheffield as their firm choice and was still accepted despite dropping 2 grades. It's fairly common for applicants to be accepted with 1 or 2 grades below their offer.
That’s what I thought. But they wrote ‘accepted through clearing’.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending