The Student Room Group
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

Meet the Sheffield Hallam TSR student ambassadors

Are you thinking of applying to university this year? Whether you're deciding between universities or writing your personal statement, you might have lots of questions about the process.

We are the official Sheffield Hallam student ambassadors that manage @hallamstudents, find out more about us below and feel free to ask us anything!

Hey guys, I’m Harry! I studied Biology, Chemistry and Psychology at A-level and I applied to Sheffield Hallam through clearing to study Biology. After a year and a half of the course, I decided it really wasn’t for me and that I couldn’t see myself utilising the degree. After a meeting with the course leader to show my interest, I then switched courses to Business and Financial Management. This was the best decision I ever made - I’m now in my final year of the course and enjoy the variety of assessments and modules, my favourite being business operations and a consultancy project in final year. To inform my original decision, I visited an open day and fell in love with the city and the fact it wasn’t too far from home in Manchester. I will happily answer any questions you have about my course, changing courses, disability support services or student life in Sheffield!

Hi everyone, I'm Lucy! Alongside being a student ambassador, I'm in my final year studying Marketing Communications and Advertising. At A-Level I studied History, Classics and Politics. I chose my course because I liked the idea of doing something creative and practical at the same time, and was really keen on doing a year in industry which my course offers. I also really liked Sheffield as a city, the vibrant student life and opportunity to escape to the Peaks was definitely a pull factor for me. Last year I did a year in industry at NBCUniversal working under Universal Pictures, so if you have any questions about applying for placements or doing a virtual internship I'd be happy to help!

Hey, I’m Zaira! For my A-levels, I chose to study English language and literature, History and Religious Studies. I chose to study Law as I enjoyed debating and analysing issues and I have just graduated from the course. I chose Sheffield Hallam because I really liked the practical element of the course. For example in my third year I was able to attend placement at a law firm. I also liked the fact I could choose different modules to study. Before making my decision, I checked the university website to help me learn more about the university and course. I am originally from Sheffield and chose to stay in the city for a number of reasons, one being to save money. I also loved the layout of the uni and how it was in the city centre and close to lots of shops.

Hi, I’m Safaa! I'm from Leeds and I studied Biology and Chemistry at A-level as well as a double applied science BTEC course. I currently study Radiotherapy & Oncology at Sheffield Hallam. I didn’t know this course existed until I went to a Radiotherapy open day in the department in my local hospital where I was intrigued by the course. Having not decided on what I was going to do after my A-levels, I knew I really wanted to go to uni and on clearing I received a call from Sheffield Hallam University where I enquired about the course. Due to my course being mostly on clinical placement, I decided to commute to uni. However, I also experienced living out for a few weeks in Sheffield which I’m so glad I did.

- The Hallam student ambassador team
(edited 3 years ago)
Hi I'm Grace and I'm currently in my second year of studying the BSC Environmental Science course at Sheffield Hallam. Before this I also completed one year of the Languages and Tourism course.
I love Sheffield Hallam for so many reasons, one being that they are such a welcoming university and I always feel supported in all aspects of my life. I felt really daunted by the prospect of starting university, but the staff and students are so understanding of this and really made me feel at home. Also, the facilities are excellent. Students have accessibility to so many learning resources on and off campus.
I love Sheffield mainly because it’s so picturesque. There are so many green spaces and places to chill out, as well as some beautiful buildings in the town centre. It’s also great for shopping, with high street shops in the town centre and at Meadowhall shopping centre, as well as countless small businesses selling unique items.
If anyone has any questions about my course, uni life in general or the application process don’t be afraid to ask.
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website
Original post by hallamstudents
I love Sheffield mainly because it’s so picturesque. There are so many green spaces and places to chill out, as well as some beautiful buildings in the town centre.

Hi Grace,

Totally agree! There are some gorgeous parks close to or even in the city centre. Endcliffe Park is a great one. It has lots of nice spots to sit and study in the warmer months too! Here's some more info for anyone who wants to take a closer look: https://www.theoutdoorcity.co.uk/sheffield-city-life/attractions/endcliffe-park-p761211.
Original post by Sheffield Hallam University
Are you thinking of applying to university this year? Whether you're deciding between universities or writing your personal statement, you might have lots of questions about the process.

We are the official Sheffield Hallam student ambassadors that manage @hallamstudents, find out more about us below and feel free to ask us anything!

Hey guys, I’m Harry! I studied Biology, Chemistry and Psychology at A-level and I applied to Sheffield Hallam through clearing to study Biology. After a year and a half of the course, I decided it really wasn’t for me and that I couldn’t see myself utilising the degree. After a meeting with the course leader to show my interest, I then switched courses to Business and Financial Management. This was the best decision I ever made - I’m now in my final year of the course and enjoy the variety of assessments and modules, my favourite being business operations and a consultancy project in final year. To inform my original decision, I visited an open day and fell in love with the city and the fact it wasn’t too far from home in Manchester. I will happily answer any questions you have about my course, changing courses, disability support services or student life in Sheffield!

Hi everyone, I'm Lucy! Alongside being a student ambassador, I'm in my final year studying Marketing Communications and Advertising. At A-Level I studied History, Classics and Politics. I chose my course because I liked the idea of doing something creative and practical at the same time, and was really keen on doing a year in industry which my course offers. I also really liked Sheffield as a city, the vibrant student life and opportunity to escape to the Peaks was definitely a pull factor for me. Last year I did a year in industry at NBCUniversal working under Universal Pictures, so if you have any questions about applying for placements or doing a virtual internship I'd be happy to help!

Hey, I’m Zaira! For my A-levels, I chose to study English language and literature, History and Religious Studies. I chose to study Law as I enjoyed debating and analysing issues and I have just graduated from the course. I chose Sheffield Hallam because I really liked the practical element of the course. For example in my third year I was able to attend placement at a law firm. I also liked the fact I could choose different modules to study. Before making my decision, I checked the university website to help me learn more about the university and course. I am originally from Sheffield and chose to stay in the city for a number of reasons, one being to save money. I also loved the layout of the uni and how it was in the city centre and close to lots of shops.

Hi, I’m Safaa! I'm from Leeds and I studied Biology and Chemistry at A-level as well as a double applied science BTEC course. I currently study Radiotherapy & Oncology at Sheffield Hallam. I didn’t know this course existed until I went to a Radiotherapy open day in the department in my local hospital where I was intrigued by the course. Having not decided on what I was going to do after my A-levels, I knew I really wanted to go to uni and on clearing I received a call from Sheffield Hallam University where I enquired about the course. Due to my course being mostly on clinical placement, I decided to commute to uni. However, I also experienced living out for a few weeks in Sheffield which I’m so glad I did.

- The Hallam student ambassador team

Hey Safaa,

I will be going to shu to study radiotherapy and Oncology.

I was just wondering if the uni is good at teaching the course and supporting students in terms of jobs and getting placements?

I jave heard that shu does placements in sheffield, leeds, Leicester and other places for radiotherapy students. Which of these cities are good for radiotherapy placements? Ie, which of these cities have the latest radiotherapy related technology where u can train?

Also, one ofy main worry is the job prospect as a radiotherapist. When I searched up for jobs almost all of them were related to Diagnostic Radiography amd only a few are for therapeutic radiographer. Does this mean the career progression is not as good for therapeutic radiographers?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending