The Student Room Group

Sheffield and Exeter offer holder

Hi!
i’m an international student from Indonesia, I have 2 offers from Sheffield and Exeter in Psychology, but the difference is that the Sheffield one is for Psychological Research Methods, and the Exeter one is for Clinical Psychology. It’s always been a dream of mine to do clinical psychology, but upon further research, Sheffield rank higher in QS World rankings for universities and now I am torn choosing between the two unis. Is there anyone with experiences with these two unis who could give me some advice on where to go?

Thanks in advance!
Original post by miladitaputri
Hi!
i’m an international student from Indonesia, I have 2 offers from Sheffield and Exeter in Psychology, but the difference is that the Sheffield one is for Psychological Research Methods, and the Exeter one is for Clinical Psychology. It’s always been a dream of mine to do clinical psychology, but upon further research, Sheffield rank higher in QS World rankings for universities and now I am torn choosing between the two unis. Is there anyone with experiences with these two unis who could give me some advice on where to go?

Thanks in advance!

Hi @miladitaputri,

First, congratulations on receiving your offers! I hope you are looking forward to joining university!

Both Sheffield and Exeter are well respected and members of the Russell Group. For this reason, I wouldn't let rankings sway your decision too much - Exeter continues to combine world-class research with high levels of student satisfaction!

It is important to keep in mind that you will be at university for three (or more!) years. It is therefore important to consider all aspects of university life when making your decision. There are a few factors I would keep in mind:

Take a closer look at the course you have applied to. I can see that the two courses you have applied to vary slightly - does one suit you better than the other? Consider assessment types, placement opportunities, module availability, contact hours, areas of expertise, etc.

Think about the societies and clubs on offer at each university - you may have a certain hobby or take part in a sport. Does the university you are considering offer this? Are there any societies that really interest you - maybe it is offered at one university but not the other.

Consider the area you want to live in for the next few years of your life. Personally, I think Exeter is the perfect mix between city and campus. Everything is located nearby and is easy to find on campus, which is really beautiful and very green! Town is only a ten minute walk away, with plenty of pubs, restaurants, clubs, etc to keep you busy during your time here! It is also only a 20 minute train ride to the beach - perfect when the weather gets a bit warmer! Again, these are all things to keep in mind when making your decision!

Personally, I have really enjoyed my time at Exeter! The teaching quality is great and the students are really friendly and welcoming.

I hope this has helped in some way! Feel free to get back in contact with any other questions you may have!

Kitty
University of Exeter Student Ambassador
Original post by miladitaputri
Hi!

Thanks in advance!

Hello,

Congratulations on your offer!

Sheffield hosts international students from a range of diverse communities and backgrounds. To provide you a home away from home, we have an Indonesian society that can help support that initial homesickness. You can find out more about our societies here
https://su.sheffield.ac.uk/activities/find-student-groups

Our Student Union has also been the best Student Union for several years running now so supporting the students is really the forefront.

One of my favourite aspects of Sheffield is the mix between city and countryside. With just a short train/bus ride away from the Peak District, these amazing views are easily accessible from the city centre. In addition, there are plenty of activities in the city centre like food markets. As the campus and city are integrated, doing your weekly grocery shop and running errands is incredibly convenient during your day as most things are within a 10-20 minute distance from the Student Union.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have anymore questions :smile:

Jivanthika

Quick Reply

Latest