The Student Room Group

Friend constantly brags about drinking

I have a friend (15 years old) who drinks - spirits, cocktails, vodka you name it. Personally, I think we're still really young but it's not my place to judge. I notice she always brags about drinking even in the smallest most subtlest ways. She'll say she hurt her fingers (another friend's response: oh no what happened) and she says it'd be opening a beer can.
She'd brag about how she drank too much at the beach and how she has a high tolerance.

I don't really see the appeal of alcohol (follow-up question what is the appeal of alcohol) but sometimes she makes me feel self-conscious for not drinking. But I'm happy and satisfied with my life - I'm around great people (friends and family), I'm happy with my grades, been trying to develop my passions and hobbies. But I still feel self-conscious and how could I try to push her towards not talking about alcohol to me.
Don't be self concious. She is most likely self-conscious about something or has some form of social anxiety so she tries to talk about the one 'cool' thing she does, which in this case she thinks is drinking.

Been there, done that. It comes from a place of anxiety on her side, and you shouldn't start doubting yourself.
Hi:h:

I'm 18 and can legally drink and still don't understand the appeal of alcohol. The fact that you've got your head on your shoulders and are passionate about finding your own interests, as well as being concerned over your friend's view of alcohol (and how it is impacting yourself), shows how mature you are. Not liking alcohol isn't the be-all and end-all. Sometimes the best thing to do with friends like yours is fade into the background when they start to talk about alcohol, hopefully, they'll get the picture that you don't like hearing about it and stop talking about it to you.

This most likely won't happen though and it might be a good idea to ask her why she feels that she needs to drink alcohol. I agree with a previous comment with the fact that drinking alcohol young usually stems from self-consciousness and people wanting to put up a facade in front of others. Maybe help your friend find better coping mechanisms? Or if your friend is only drinking to look cool then maybe re-evaluate your friendship and whether she is having a harmful impact on your life. I'm not saying to cast her out and not be her friend anymore but a bit of distance may help her to evaluate in herself whether your friendship or alcohol are more important to her

Hope this helps xx
your friend has issues. there are much better things to do at your age than drink ethanol.
That's really childish.

Ngl even alot of adults are like that. Some people never grow out of it. Weird tbh.

Also having a high tolerance is a bad thing. Means you have to waste loads of money if you want to get drunk. And you end up drinking so much you spend the entire night going to the toilet every 10 mins lol.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
Don't be self concious. She is most likely self-conscious about something or has some form of social anxiety so she tries to talk about the one 'cool' thing she does, which in this case she thinks is drinking.

Been there, done that. It comes from a place of anxiety on her side, and you shouldn't start doubting yourself.

Thanks! She hasn't always been the most social person, it's actually this year when she's started hanging out with more people and going out, drinking etc.
Reply 6
Original post by SneezyPanda
Hi:h:

I'm 18 and can legally drink and still don't understand the appeal of alcohol. The fact that you've got your head on your shoulders and are passionate about finding your own interests, as well as being concerned over your friend's view of alcohol (and how it is impacting yourself), shows how mature you are. Not liking alcohol isn't the be-all and end-all. Sometimes the best thing to do with friends like yours is fade into the background when they start to talk about alcohol, hopefully, they'll get the picture that you don't like hearing about it and stop talking about it to you.

This most likely won't happen though and it might be a good idea to ask her why she feels that she needs to drink alcohol. I agree with a previous comment with the fact that drinking alcohol young usually stems from self-consciousness and people wanting to put up a facade in front of others. Maybe help your friend find better coping mechanisms? Or if your friend is only drinking to look cool then maybe re-evaluate your friendship and whether she is having a harmful impact on your life. I'm not saying to cast her out and not be her friend anymore but a bit of distance may help her to evaluate in herself whether your friendship or alcohol are more important to her

Hope this helps xx

Thank you so much! Wow that was actually reassuring. I asked her once why she drinks and she says it's a social / community thing. I'm not sure because no one in my own circle drinks or brags but I guess her circle does. I don't think it's having a harmful impact on my life per se, as I have other friends around me who I think are similar to me. It might be for the "look cool" facade since she regards it as a social thing.
Reply 7

Been there, done that. It comes from a place of anxiety on her side, and you shouldn't start doubting yourself

If you don't mind me asking, what were your habits like?
Reply 8
L

Original post by Chicken.M.
That's really childish.

Ngl even alot of adults are like that. Some people never grow out of it. Weird tbh.

Also having a high tolerance is a bad thing. Means you have to waste loads of money if you want to get drunk. And you end up drinking so much you spend the entire night going to the toilet every 10 mins lol.

LOL gotcha, why is drinking social capital, like it is but why
Thank you so much! Wow that was actually reassuring. I asked her once why she drinks and she says it's a social / community thing. I'm not sure because no one in my own circle drinks or brags but I guess her circle does. I don't think it's having a harmful impact on my life per se, as I have other friends around me who I think are similar to me. It might be for the "look cool" facade since she regards it as a social thing.

I'm glad that I could help! And yeah its usually a social thing, people thinking that drinking gives them a cool rep. The fact that your friend group doesn't drink is great, continue to surround yourself with likeminded people! Has anyone else in your circle mentioned this girl and her drinking habits? xx:h:
Original post by SneezyPanda
I'm glad that I could help! And yeah its usually a social thing, people thinking that drinking gives them a cool rep. The fact that your friend group doesn't drink is great, continue to surround yourself with likeminded people! Has anyone else in your circle mentioned this girl and her drinking habits? xx:h:

Ahhh yeah probably. No one's really mentioned because I guess she doesn't brag in front of them but yeah definitely I've been focusing on being around likeminded people.
Ahhh yeah probably. No one's really mentioned because I guess she doesn't brag in front of them but yeah definitely I've been focusing on being around likeminded people.

That's great! I'm glad your helping yourself out like that:h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending