The Student Room Group

Sixth Form/Colleges Recommendations (NW London)

I'm currently in Y10, and I'm considering which 6th form centres or colleges to go to for my A-levels in Northwest London (I live in Colindale).
The courses I want to do the most are history and politics, so it would be best if they were offered (although I'm sure they always are offered...)
I would like some recommendations please so I know which places to research.

I heard Mill Hill's 6th form and Woodhouse are good, can I have some insight on that too?
Reply 1
harrow
Reply 2
Woodhouse is actually a really good school. It’s a 6th form college so you get a lot more independence than you would do at a Normal 6th form. Also don’t worry about 6th forms etc rn!! Enjoy y10, worry about your early year11 mocks as you’ll most likely be applying to 6th forms with those mock grades as your “predicted grades”.
I’ll be honest, Woodhouse isn’t all that it seems
The only thing making it better than other sixth forms is their connections and equipment for things like practicals, which don’t really provide much help to you individually, and all sixth forms are to perform required practicals anyways so thats not all that significant either. It’s all the name and the college in itself is just a publicity stunt. Applying to Woodhouse, I was promised kind, helpful teachers who can tutor you and informative lessons. Well, the teachers are horrible, both personality wise and teaching wise. You do 80% of the work yourself, half the teachers actually don’t let you make notes in class as they would rather you just sit in silence and listen to them, and then stress yourself out later. They are constantly threatening you with behaviour, grade and attendance reports, and the teachers belittle you for “not studying enough” despite making you do everything yourself. In addition to this, most of the students are either stuck up, arrogant and annoying, or are drug addicts who literally smoke right outside the school during free periods. It’s so difficult to fit in as both teachers and students are horrible. The only reason Woodhouse is an “overachieving” college is because they trample on those who “underperform”, then either make them extremely unhappy and get the grades, or they kick them out. Despite all this, they preach “good mental health” but even that is done with minimal effort. They do not care if you have health issues, they yell at you for taking sick leave, it’s absolutely ridiculous. Please, for your own good, don’t let them trick you with their “80% A*-B pass rate” and “amazing resources” and “highly educated teachers”, you could go elsewhere and probably get better grades and still maintain your happiness
Reply 4
Original post by user928392829
I’ll be honest, Woodhouse isn’t all that it seems
The only thing making it better than other sixth forms is their connections and equipment for things like practicals, which don’t really provide much help to you individually, and all sixth forms are to perform required practicals anyways so thats not all that significant either. It’s all the name and the college in itself is just a publicity stunt. Applying to Woodhouse, I was promised kind, helpful teachers who can tutor you and informative lessons. Well, the teachers are horrible, both personality wise and teaching wise. You do 80% of the work yourself, half the teachers actually don’t let you make notes in class as they would rather you just sit in silence and listen to them, and then stress yourself out later. They are constantly threatening you with behaviour, grade and attendance reports, and the teachers belittle you for “not studying enough” despite making you do everything yourself. In addition to this, most of the students are either stuck up, arrogant and annoying, or are drug addicts who literally smoke right outside the school during free periods. It’s so difficult to fit in as both teachers and students are horrible. The only reason Woodhouse is an “overachieving” college is because they trample on those who “underperform”, then either make them extremely unhappy and get the grades, or they kick them out. Despite all this, they preach “good mental health” but even that is done with minimal effort. They do not care if you have health issues, they yell at you for taking sick leave, it’s absolutely ridiculous. Please, for your own good, don’t let them trick you with their “80% A*-B pass rate” and “amazing resources” and “highly educated teachers”, you could go elsewhere and probably get better grades and still maintain your happiness

You’re making me not wanna go woodhouse now 😭😭
Original post by xspyderzx
You’re making me not wanna go woodhouse now 😭😭

It’s still good, but it has gone so downhill recently. They’re not even a College anymore, but an Academy ://

They just put insane pressure on you, constantly bombard you with emails and homework even after school, on weekends and in holidays. No matter what time it is, or where you are, you can’t escape school. Each teacher either gives you insane amounts of homework that doesn’t help, or doesn’t give you work at all. A lot of students are really standoffish and brag about their grades… it’s just overall not the best environment and is so bad for your physical and mental health… also they’re constantly threatening you with reports, if you’re off sick too much then they put you on attendance contracts, if you fail ONE test then they put you on a grade contract. Instead of helping you, they put more pressure on you and they expect it to help… some teachers are such sweethearts but unfortunately the way the school is designed just still puts u under pressure… being at Woodhouse after wanting it for so long… now it just feels like its all a name and its not really all it says it is
That sounds awful. I'm shocked. I was considering going as well. Do you have any information on Alexandra Park Sixthform?
Original post by user928392829
It’s still good, but it has gone so downhill recently. They’re not even a College anymore, but an Academy ://

They just put insane pressure on you, constantly bombard you with emails and homework even after school, on weekends and in holidays. No matter what time it is, or where you are, you can’t escape school. Each teacher either gives you insane amounts of homework that doesn’t help, or doesn’t give you work at all. A lot of students are really standoffish and brag about their grades… it’s just overall not the best environment and is so bad for your physical and mental health… also they’re constantly threatening you with reports, if you’re off sick too much then they put you on attendance contracts, if you fail ONE test then they put you on a grade contract. Instead of helping you, they put more pressure on you and they expect it to help… some teachers are such sweethearts but unfortunately the way the school is designed just still puts u under pressure… being at Woodhouse after wanting it for so long… now it just feels like its all a name and its not really all it says it is
Original post by kahramanmaras
I'm currently in Y10, and I'm considering which 6th form centres or colleges to go to for my A-levels in Northwest London (I live in Colindale).
The courses I want to do the most are history and politics, so it would be best if they were offered (although I'm sure they always are offered...)
I would like some recommendations please so I know which places to research.

I heard Mill Hill's 6th form and Woodhouse are good, can I have some insight on that too?

I go to Mill Hill (private) and it's amazing for history and politics! I did history GCSE and easily got a 9 because of the teachers. Some of my friends do history+politics A level and are really happy with their teachers because we have a really good department. We also have model UN if that's something you'd be interested in, and looks very good for uni

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending