The Student Room Group

Should I see a GP?

Hi everyone,

I'd appreciate some advice on my situation.

I was wondering if my symptoms seem serious enough to visit a GP, but honestly, I would see this as a last case scenario as I'm not particularly fond of having to go see a GP, and especially because I am so busy as a student, it'll be difficult to find time to do this.

Over this past year, I have been feeling so dehydrated every single day, and even after drinking water, I still feel dehydrated. I have to drink water every two minutes or ill start feeling very very dehydrated, which consequently makes me feel dizzy and faint. This never used to happen before. I also constantly have headaches everyday and migraines often. I am also always so tired - I don't remember a day where I felt energised, even when getting solid 8/9/10 hrs of sleep.

Thanks guys
Reply 1
Definitely go and see a GP. Abnormal levels of thirst should be investigated asap.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if my symptoms seem serious enough to visit a GP, but honestly, I would see this as a last case scenario as I'm not particularly fond of having to go see a GP, and especially because I am so busy as a student, it'll be difficult to find time to do this.

Over this past year, I have been feeling so dehydrated every single day, and even after drinking water, I still feel dehydrated. I have to drink water every two minutes or ill start feeling very very dehydrated, which consequently makes me feel dizzy and faint. This never used to happen before. I also constantly have headaches everyday and migraines often. I am also always so tired - I don't remember a day where I felt energised, even when getting solid 8/9/10 hrs of sleep.

Thanks guys

I honestly think that you should see your GP. They would be the best person to advise you rather than people on the internet
Hi everyone,

Thanks guys

GP ASAP
Definitely go and see your GP , unless there is any obvious reason as to why you would be dehydrated?
Reply 5
Definitely go and see your GP , unless there is any obvious reason as to why you would be dehydrated?

No, cant think of any reasons, unless stress would be, as I have been much more stressed this year?
GO TO THE GP!

I understand the GP can be intimidating, time consuming and scary but above all else your health comes first otherwise everything else is pointless. If you need some support bring a friend! I really hope you get well soon!! :smile:
Dehydration can be down to a number of reasons from diabetes or drinking alcohol. Also if you are sick or have diarrhoea this can also lead to be being dehydrated definitely worth visiting gp .
Reply 8
Original post by Sneezing_Dragon
GO TO THE GP!

I understand the GP can be intimidating, time consuming and scary but above all else your health comes first otherwise everything else is pointless. If you need some support bring a friend! I really hope you get well soon!! :smile:

Thank you so much, I really appreciate your kind comment :smile:

I definitely will after seeing everyone's comments. Seems stupid I didn't go earlier now
No problem! get well soon!
Thank you so much, I really appreciate your kind comment :smile:

I definitely will after seeing everyone's comments. Seems stupid I didn't go earlier now
Reply 10
Dehydration can be down to a number of reasons from diabetes or drinking alcohol. Also if you are sick or have diarrhoea this can also lead to be being dehydrated definitely worth visiting gp .

Original post by Golf24
No stress shouldn't have anything to do with it have you been sick alot or suffering from diarrhoea you can lose alot of fluids this way

Not suffering from diarrhoea and I don’t drink
Reply 11
Not suffering from diarrhoea and I don’t drink

Just book an appointment with your GP. Speculating on here will not give you the answer and is more likely to cause you anxiety.
Wishing you all the best
Reply 12
Original post by Euapp
Just book an appointment with your GP. Speculating on here will not give you the answer and is more likely to cause you anxiety.
Wishing you all the best

I will, thank you for your advice :smile:
Reply 13
Hey guys. Not sure if anyone will read this. But a little update. I did end up going to the GP who initially suspected ‘diabetes insipidus’ but after performing bloods and other tests, it came back negative and she kind of just told me to drink more water. Ngl I feel kinda hopeless because my symptoms are still consistent and it’s really affecting my day to day life with being constantly dehydrated :/
Hey guys. Not sure if anyone will read this. But a little update. I did end up going to the GP who initially suspected ‘diabetes insipidus’ but after performing bloods and other tests, it came back negative and she kind of just told me to drink more water. Ngl I feel kinda hopeless because my symptoms are still consistent and it’s really affecting my day to day life with being constantly dehydrated :/

Well, try following the advice for a while and if it still persists go back and say "I followed your recommendation but I'm still having these symptoms" and they may do further tests. And if anything gets worse in the meantime go back as soon as you notice things getting worse and tell them that.
Reply 15
Original post by artful_lounger
Well, try following the advice for a while and if it still persists go back and say "I followed your recommendation but I'm still having these symptoms" and they may do further tests. And if anything gets worse in the meantime go back as soon as you notice things getting worse and tell them that.

The thing is I’ve been feeling like this since around January, so I really don’t see anything changing (and I have told her this) so it’s quite difficult. I drink quite a lot water a day (almost 4 litres) as well. Oh well, I get where you’re coming from - it’s just something I have to get used to 😂 thankyou
Reply 16
Original post by Anonymous #1
The thing is I’ve been feeling like this since around January, so I really don’t see anything changing (and I have told her this) so it’s quite difficult. I drink quite a lot water a day (almost 4 litres) as well. Oh well, I get where you’re coming from - it’s just something I have to get used to 😂 thankyou

You know what? I kept going back to the doctor about the same issue, accident and emergency twice, they told me there was no problem, nothing wrong, all in your head, 'anxiety' etc. And there was in fact something wrong, well a couple of things really, one of my airways is blocked and I have scars on the tip of my lungs. If you think something is wrong, push for further investigation.
(edited 4 months ago)

I didn't say you need to get used to it - I said you need to follow their instruction and then if (or when) it doesn't help, go back. Because then you can push the issue again and make a point that you did do what they said and still have the issue - so they can't chalk it up to you not following their directions or something, and that it is a continuing issue. The point is by doing it that way you make it so they realistically they may need to reconsider that treatment plan and possibly whether further investigations are needed.

Quick Reply

Latest