The Student Room Group
Reply 1
littlelaura
Hi everyone!! :hello:
Im really new to this site so im sorry if i do anything wrong! i was wondering if anyone could help me....im really struggling with my french AS, the listening, reading, speaking and esp. the oral topic! i was just wondering whether anyone had the same or a similar problem who could prehaps help me!?
thanks alot!
laura xx :smile:

im also doing german AS and having the same problem!

Definitely me also! Don't know what oral topic to pick! If you're doing aqa i was advised to pick something similar to the pre release material:smile: Hmm well what specifically is your problem? Reading-wise, i'd visit www.lemonde.fr and read an article daily, seriously it has helped me loads and especially being french news it helps you with everything.
Other things such as listening are www.funradio.fr, or other websites, listen to french radio it programmes your mind to think :smile:
Don't panic like i do, just go with the flow and read ahead in your book or practise a little bit of vocab every night, and find fun things to read liek stories, sounds kiddyish but i got a french story off the teacher and i learnt so much just because it was fun:smile:

Best advice for topic is to pick something you can say alot about and express your opinion about, something not too fancy, but something you are interested in and something which is very central to france's problems beliefs etc

Good luck pm me with any problems:smile: :smile:
Reply 2
Hi gemma! thanks alot for ure message, ill take what you said and try my best with it! to be honest its bits and pieces for example one lesson ill be on top of everything and understand everything and then their are others which are completly the opposite!! im just sooo amazed at the huge jump from gsce to as level! i always thought languages were my strong point being able to speak 4 but im not soo sure anymore!
With the oral im finding it difficult to find an interesting topic due to the fact that im not aware of the issues in france which we have in england, for example binge drinking!
Reply 3
littlelaura
Hi gemma! thanks alot for ure message, ill take what you said and try my best with it! to be honest its bits and pieces for example one lesson ill be on top of everything and understand everything and then their are others which are completly the opposite!! im just sooo amazed at the huge jump from gsce to as level! i always thought languages were my strong point being able to speak 4 but im not soo sure anymore!
With the oral im finding it difficult to find an interesting topic due to the fact that im not aware of the issues in france which we have in england, for example binge drinking!

Ahh, don't lose confidence! I was told by someone that got an A in my class, that Languages sure are hard work and you have to put a lot of extra work into it outside the lesson. Im amazed too, the grammer aspect can be hard and i sometimes forget to even do sutpid things like reflexives!
Don't worry just practise a lot each day and Elan grammar book is brilliant invest in that!
Afterall examiners don't expect us to sound like perfect native speakers, but you say you're not aware of french issues so that is a ringing bell to just go over some class notes, cause you should know a few, such as curfews etc, their education system....:smile:
Thing is with a language is that you have to do it everyday or else its easy to forget, but i'm sure you are brill at languages!
Tu es forte en francais! :smile:
Reply 4
gemma.....
Ahh, don't lose confidence! I was told by someone that got an A in my class, that Languages sure are hard work and you have to put a lot of extra work into it outside the lesson. Im amazed too, the grammer aspect can be hard and i sometimes forget to even do sutpid things like reflexives!
Don't worry just practise a lot each day and Elan grammar book is brilliant invest in that!
Afterall examiners don't expect us to sound like perfect native speakers, but you say you're not aware of french issues so that is a ringing bell to just go over some class notes, cause you should know a few, such as curfews etc, their education system....:smile:
Thing is with a language is that you have to do it everyday or else its easy to forget, but i'm sure you are brill at languages!
Tu es forte en francais! :smile:

awwww bless ya! thats very sweet of you to say! i still have confidence but not as much as i used to have! i just dont feel like i know half as much as i thought i knew! i just find i cant think of simple french in lessons and homework ie. how to structure a sentence let alone start using the complex language!!! how are you coping with it? everyone in my class are totally on top of it all and understand everything!! :hmpf:
Reply 5
littlelaura
awwww bless ya! thats very sweet of you to say! i still have confidence but not as much as i used to have! i just dont feel like i know half as much as i thought i knew! i just find i cant think of simple french in lessons and homework ie. how to structure a sentence let alone start using the complex language!!! how are you coping with it? everyone in my class are totally on top of it all and understand everything!! :hmpf:

Sorry if im writing essays just ive finally found someone who is a bit like me!
#1 Haven't even started oral or not informed of anything oral/speaking i took it upon myself to research what i have to do!
#2 i sometimes forget how to even say sutpid things like i haven't seen her..haha
#3 we have an objectif bac book - scaring me because we are only on unit 5 and there's 11...and i can't see it being finished and i forget what's in it!
#4 we have a trainee teacher who doesn't stretch me!

Plus sides are french interests me, love learning it, just always worried iim forgetting basic, oh and aqa unit 2 scares me so much so detailed:O:O:O :eek: Oh well roll on work work and more work! Hehe, let's make the A grade pact?: :hello:
Reply 6
ok i sounds like a bimbo....wats an a pact then?? just to check are u in year 12 or year 13!?? my teacher wont STOP going on about the oral!!!!!! i also have the same problem in german as well which really doesnt help! to be honest my class makes me soooo much worse too!!!!
Reply 7
Haha, sorry im in year 12.
No i was joking me and my friend make jokey pacts like "B grade pact" yeah lame, just makes us focus!
OMG my teacher doesnt mention speaking at all yet it seems the hardest!
What other subjects do you do?
Reply 8
gemma.....
Haha, sorry im in year 12.
No i was joking me and my friend make jokey pacts like "B grade pact" yeah lame, just makes us focus!
OMG my teacher doesnt mention speaking at all yet it seems the hardest!
What other subjects do you do?

ure lucky!!! my teacher started in december talking about them! and to make matters worst shes one of those teachers that doesnt help you in the slighest!!! :frown: im in year 12 2! (ok i think u new that! ) u sound very much like u no ure stuff tho!!! not like me at all! i do media studies, german and french :eek:
Reply 9
littlelaura
ure lucky!!! my teacher started in december talking about them! and to make matters worst shes one of those teachers that doesnt help you in the slighest!!! :frown: im in year 12 2! (ok i think u new that! ) u sound very much like u no ure stuff tho!!! not like me at all! i do media studies, german and french :eek:

Hehe, don't worry my teachers don't help me either, i actually had to go out and buy books etc, well my teacher gave me 3 REVISION guides thats it. I have two proper teachers but the trainee teacher is teaching us and she makes me yawn..:smile: Keep at It :0 anyway is it only me and you on this thread? :idea:
Reply 10
seems like it! im soooo new to this im kinda confused about some things!!!!
Reply 11
Hey guyz My name is Matt. I am in YR 13 and I am studying French and German at A2 level. Yes it is very difficult we are all in the same boat lol!!!!!!!! I am doing Edexcel for both languages and gained two B grades last year in my AS level. Hey Laura what exam board are you with? If you need any advice please do not hesitate to contact me. I have my AS exam on monday for German as a Re-sit so I will tell you peeps how it went. I did the German education system and the French education system for my oral topics at AS both very interesting! BYEEEEEEEEEEE
Reply 12
mattyboy27
Hey guyz My name is Matt. I am in YR 13 and I am studying French and German at A2 level. Yes it is very difficult we are all in the same boat lol!!!!!!!! I am doing Edexcel for both languages and gained two B grades last year in my AS level. Hey Laura what exam board are you with? If you need any advice please do not hesitate to contact me. I have my AS exam on monday for German as a Re-sit so I will tell you peeps how it went. I did the German education system and the French education system for my oral topics at AS both very interesting! BYEEEEEEEEEEE

hey matt! :hello: im with edexcel! i was hoping you wouldnt say that...im dreading next year. as i am only doing 3 as's i have to continue them all three to A2!!! im sure ull do find in your exam....are u resitting because you did badly then ? :hello:
Reply 13
mattyboy27

Hey bonne chance avec tes examens? Not sure:smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending