The Student Room Group

Am I allowed to bring a mini fridge into my uni accom?

I checked the rules for the accom I applied for and it doesn't say anything about having a mini fridge in your room
Check your accomodation contract and your uni's rules about prohibited items.
Many english unis don't allow mini-fridges or portable heaters because of the risks of overheating and becoming a fire hazard.
If you have a medical need for a fridge, most unis will either provide one or give written permission for you to bring an approved make&model which they will inspect within the first week of moving in.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I checked the rules for the accom I applied for and it doesn't say anything about having a mini fridge in your room

Even if the rules do not explicitly state that you cannot have a mini-fridge in your room, you still need to check with your uni accommodation team. If you have a medical need for a mini-fridge, most uni accommodation teams will either provide one or give written permission for you to bring one - again best to liaise with them directly about your needs. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by londonmyst
Check your accomodation contract and your uni's rules about prohibited items.
Many english unis don't allow mini-fridges or portable heaters because of the risks of overheating and becoming a fire hazard.
If you have a medical need for a fridge, most unis will either provide one or give written permission for you to bring an approved make&model which they will inspect within the first week of moving in.

Original post by JT_888
Even if the rules do not explicitly state that you cannot have a mini-fridge in your room, you still need to check with your uni accommodation team. If you have a medical need for a mini-fridge, most uni accommodation teams will either provide one or give written permission for you to bring one - again best to liaise with them directly about your needs. :smile:

Alright thanks :smile: :smile:
In my halls at university of Southampton the fridge in our communal kitchen is full up and other people have filled up the only shelf i put my things in. I have only just started living out in uni so this is quite inconvenient and also I have soooo much anxiety even using the kitchen coz the other flatmates are in there all the time to the point where I have now gone for abt a week without a proper meal because of this.
I want to get a mini fridge for my room; I wont need to keep it on all the time and I dont really buy groceries in bulk. Im also vegetarian so the only crucial thing i need to keep refridgerated is eggs, everything else i need to refridgerate would be in short intervals.
My accommodation contract doesnt say anything about having a mini fridge, and I am scared that if i ask and they say no I'll be screwed.
My question is should I just go ahead and get it? Forgiveness is better than permission and all that jazz
OR do you think if I explain my situation they might allow me?
Reply 5
Original post by marilynnn
In my halls at university of Southampton the fridge in our communal kitchen is full up and other people have filled up the only shelf i put my things in. I have only just started living out in uni so this is quite inconvenient and also I have soooo much anxiety even using the kitchen coz the other flatmates are in there all the time to the point where I have now gone for abt a week without a proper meal because of this.
I want to get a mini fridge for my room; I wont need to keep it on all the time and I dont really buy groceries in bulk. Im also vegetarian so the only crucial thing i need to keep refridgerated is eggs, everything else i need to refridgerate would be in short intervals.
My accommodation contract doesnt say anything about having a mini fridge, and I am scared that if i ask and they say no I'll be screwed.
My question is should I just go ahead and get it? Forgiveness is better than permission and all that jazz

idk if they'll allow you but for the first week of uni i had some anxiety about going to the kitchen cos my fltmates were there but then i just thought about it like... i'm literally paying for this room AND the kitchen so lemme get my moneys worth. you might as well ask them though
yeah, thats true. Update: me and my flatmate who feels a similar way have decided to cook our meals at the same time so its not as awkward with the others. But apart from that ive decided that later on if i still need fridge space then ill get a battery powered very mini fridge so the fire hazard thing wont even be a problem. Thank you mwah mwah
I'd ask the university about it. I know mine prohibits them because of fire risks.
You need to ask permission for any appliances. It’s not about whether you can get away with it, it’s a safety issue.
But my uni says that fairy lights are okay as long as they are battery powered instead of mains powered, similarly isnt it ok if a mini fridge is battery powered? surely that removes minimises the fire hazard?
Signing off on fairy lights isn’t the same as signing off on a fridge. Just ask them, they say it’s fine, you’re in the clear.

Whilst I agree having a mini fridge would be convenient just in general, you do realise that eggs don't need to be refrigerated, right?
I keep mine in a kitchen cupboard.

I mean sure, don't have them next to a heat source, but you absolutely don't need to put eggs in a fridge. At least not in this country.

https://www.businessinsider.com/why-europeans-dont-refrigerate-eggs-2014-12?r=US&IR=T
(edited 2 years ago)
Eggs don’t need to and shouldn’t be kept in a fridge think how supermarkets sell them not refrigerated. It does say in rules no fridges in room
touché

Did you do it? I’m thinking of doing the same

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending