The Student Room Group

Should I do Economics HL or Computer Science HL

I'm not sure what I want to pursue in the future but definitely something in STEM. I have chosen HL math, HL physics, SL english, SL french and am struggling on deciding on economics and computer science. I have found that most courses for computer science don't even require it and only require math and a science. Which one is more useful at HL and/or easier?
Reply 1
Original post by senseistudent
I'm not sure what I want to pursue in the future but definitely something in STEM. I have chosen HL math, HL physics, SL english, SL french and am struggling on deciding on economics and computer science. I have found that most courses for computer science don't even require it and only require math and a science. Which one is more useful at HL and/or easier?

You're right that most universities don't require HL computer science, only maths. It's very difficult and I sunk way more time into it than any other subject, the IA in particular was absolute hell. Maths and Physics HL are also notoriously difficult subjects, so I would advise that you only take all three if you're very committed to studying computing in the future. Might have to come to terms with losing all your free time.
(edited 2 years ago)
the compsci and math IA were the most fun things I've done in school. I didn't do HL compsci but the IA is the same for SL and HL just marked differently!! I actually didn't lose any free time because im lazy and my teachers were really nice and allowed late hand ins. I think my cs IA hand in was 1 month after the deadline but it was worth it.

Original post by viennas
You're right that most universities don't require HL computer science, only maths. It's very difficult and I sunk way more time into it than any other subject, the IA in particular was absolute hell. Maths and Physics HL are also notoriously difficult subjects, so I would advise that you only take all three if you're very committed to studying computing in the future. Might have to come to terms with losing all your free time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending