The Student Room Group

Physics help...features of the design...i have the otehr parts in the post..

hello okay i want your views on what i have proposed to do, i have missed out section a, i wil do this now...also how many diagrams wd u reccomend? etc..here goes :

b) how a stream of air will be produced

The stream of air will be produced by an electrical fan that will be connected to a power supply. The fan will not have its own speed adjustments as these are usually limited to only a few speeds, so i will adjust the voltage supplied to change the speed of the fan, thus producing a greater stream of air or lower stream of air, depending on the voltage.

c) How the speed of the air would be measured

The method that i will se to measure the speed of the air would be to use a device called a digital anometer, this will give me a reading in m/s. The device is placed in front of the card and the fan is turned on. this will spin the fan on the digital anometer, hence creating an electric current, the electric current is proportional to the wind speed. The wind speed will be displayed on the digital anometer lcd.

d) How the speed of the air will be changed

The speed of the air will be changed by having the fan connecetd to a powersupply with an adjustablevoltage. This should allow the speed of the air to be adjusted in constant steps as the rotations of the fan is proportional to the speed of the air and the rotations of the fan is proportional to the voltage supplied.

e) The method that i will use to measure the angle will be setup with the apparatus, there will be a protractor setup directly behind the card at eye level to avoid large parralex readings. To insure that the protractor is not setup in a slaunt, i will put a plum line frn the top of the clamp stand to make sure that the angle is at 0 degrees.

f) Features of the design that would ensure the accuracy and reliability of your results.

What shall i put ehere...hope i have helpeed many of you plz dont copy this directly tho... thanks people
Hi, yeah that looks fine.
How have you laid your plan out?

For reliability, simply repeat experiments, draw a graph etc.
For accuracy, you already mentioned one. Use a plumb line. This ensures that the board is vertical reducing the uncertainty in the angles you measure.
Widowmaker
Hi, yeah that looks fine.
How have you laid your plan out?

For reliability, simply repeat experiments, draw a graph etc.
For accuracy, you already mentioned one. Use a plumb line. This ensures that the board is vertical reducing the uncertainty in the angles you measure.

also, talk about random errors and systematic errors. Look in a book and you should be able to relate them to this experiment. Reducing these errors increases accuracy.
Reply 3
oh okay thankyou very much :biggrin: i will post more of what i have done and then i shall add those parts that u mentioned:

my english isnt the best btw. plz forgive my bad grammar.

I have to investigate how the angle (theta) for a board hanging on hinges depends on the speed of the horizontally moving air.

a) The procedure to be followed

I willsetup the apparatus so that the angle the board is hanging at is at 0 degrees from the vertical, the wind will hit the board, so that the board moves in the anti clockwise motion.

Apparatus Diagram
(DIAGRAM)

to adjust the fan speed it will be connected to a mains powersupply, with varying voltage i will be able to adjust the voltage at constant steps so that it will adjust the rotations of the fan.

The appartus will be setup as show in the diagram above. and more precisely the circuit diagram as below:

Circuit Diagram

The results wil be written down, the observatiosn that we wil make are in the following diagram:

Diagram of angle

This angle will be compared to the wind speeds and will the finally conclude if the wind speeds and the angle of theta are proportional

b) how a stream of air will be produced

The stream of air will be produced by an electrical fan that will be connected to a power supply. The fan will not have its own speed adjustments as these are usually limited to only a few speeds, so i will adjust the voltage supplied to change the speed of the fan, thus producing a greater stream of air or lower stream of air, depending on the voltage.

c) How the speed of the air would be measured

The method that i will se to measure the speed of the air would be to use a device called a digital anometer, this will give me a reading in m/s. The device is placed in front of the card and the fan is turned on. this will spin the fan on the digital anometer, hence creating an electric current, the electric current is proportional to the wind speed. The wind speed will be displayed on the digital anometer lcd.

d) How the speed of the air will be changed

The speed of the air will be changed by having the fan connecetd to a powersupply with an adjustablevoltage. This should allow the speed of the air to be adjusted in constant steps as the rotations of the fan is proportional to the speed of the air and the rotations of the fan is proportional to the voltage supplied.

e) The method that i will use to measure the angle will be setup with the apparatus, there will be a protractor setup directly behind the card at eye level to avoid large parralex readings. To insure that the protractor is not setup in a slaunt, i will put a plum line frn the top of the clamp stand to make sure that the angle is at 0 degrees.

f) Features of the design that would ensure the accuracy and reliability of your results.

The features in the design of my experiment that will ensure accuracy and reliabilty of my results consists of a number of issues, firstly the plum line that will be attached to the clamp will insure that the angle is not distorted and will be at 0 degrees. Also the protractor will be setup at eye level to ensure that there is small parallax readings and preferably the readings be taken parralel from the side of the card. The adjustments of the voltage via the power supply will ensure that the speed of the air is kept at constant and they are able to increase at constant steps when the voltage is varried, i would also record the speed of the air whenever the voltage is adjusted, using the digital anometer to make sure that the speed is changed in the correct steps.

Fianlly having the speed of the wind from the digital anometer, and the angle readings from the results and observations of the experiment, i will be able to show if the two are proportional, thus completing the task.

I havent put the diagrams in yet...the graph, i didnt think of showing one, but i giuess ill do that now
Reply 4
i am not sure how to layout the plan...you mean like the writeup that i will submit...lol i thought how i sent it like this is fine except with diagram...i havent done a word count yet, i do not have word on this systems
Have you used a lot of tables diagrams etc?
That way you don't have to include those words in your word count.
Reply 6
no not many, i think my word count is nearly on dot but i am not sure, the written verion i had was approximately 260 words and this was lacking the section f, and i have jstu added a few bits heres and there...i will be able to say in a few hrs, iwll transfer to anotehr computer and do the word count
...hope this has helped people that where stuck
Aeroman
no not many, i think my word count is nearly on dot but i am not sure, the written verion i had was approximately 260 words and this was lacking the section f, and i have jstu added a few bits heres and there...i will be able to say in a few hrs, iwll transfer to anotehr computer and do the word count
...hope this has helped people that where stuck

practical tomorrow
could you give me pointers on evaluations?
Reply 8
sorry not to sure about that..i was jsut about to browse the forum for some...found nething yet?

Latest

Trending

Trending