The Student Room Group

The "Am I good enough for Investment Banking/Consultancy?" Thread

As well as university and course comparisons, we seem to be getting a lot of threads asking "Am I good enough for IB/C" with something about someone's grades, university, extra curriculars, work experience, etc. This thread is for all those questions.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
expected grades:

maths-A*
Core science-B
additional science-B
Business studies-A*
r.e-A/B
history-A/B
french-C
d.t-C
english language-B
english language-B

do you think these are gd grades or not and isit possible for me to still perue my dream of becoming an investment banker if i work hard for my A levels? i really want to become an investment banker:biggrin:
What A-Levels are you going to do?
Reply 3
i am thinking of doing:
maths and f-maths
history
english lit
physics

thanks for the help :biggrin:
Sure, why not? Just make sure you get at least As in A levels, so you go to a really good uni. GCSEs matter little, I got into oxford with 2 Ds :biggrin:
I might as well start. Do I have a chance at middle office in a BB, or front office/corporate role at a second/third/high street bank?

A levels: A maths A Chem A Biology
Degree: Bsc Economics
University: Nottingham
I really doubt we are able to forseee what banks are going to do next year. Of course, someone studying a mathematical subject at Oxford, imperial or Cambridge will get in, just like people doing economics at lse and quite a few other subjects at oxbridge. But with an uncertain future, and the investement banks not really doing splendid, I doubt we can be certain about borderline cases.
Reply 7
Yes. Would need more info to suggest how much of a chance.
Reply 8
Donald Duck
I really doubt we are able to forseee what banks are going to do next year. Of course, someone studying a mathematical subject at Oxford, imperial or Cambridge will get in, just like people doing economics at lse and quite a few other subjects at oxbridge. But with an uncertain future, and the investement banks not really doing splendid, I doubt we can be certain about borderline cases.

Nah, you can say a hell of a great chance, but how do you know they will get in?
Reply 9
Lol personally I don't think this thread has any significance. Might be fun though. You're good enough if the employers think you'll be a profitable hire. It's not like uni applications where if you tick certain boxes you're highly likely to get in.

If the interviewer's not feeling it, he's not feeling it! Doesn't matter who you are...
Get AAAA ---> Oxbridge, LSE, Warwick, UCL, Imperial ---> Pick up work experience in banks ie. back office roles/spring weeks (network well here; make the right contacts) ----> at uni: do a few extra curriculars i.e. positions of responsibility, student journalism, Model U.N, AIESEC, start up a business and turn a profit (the hardest, but most respected), part time job, finance/investment/entrepreneur society, Traders society etc (just some example, there are better ones I am sure.) -- join it and do something credible and tangible, maintain a 60% minimum average, of course a 1st ALWAYS looks better than hitting the minimum 2.1 ----> 2nd year apply for internships ---> hopefully land an internship with a BB/2nd tier firm ---> convert internship into an offer/otherwise leverage the experience and apply to all other banks which will surely yield an offer in investment banking. Graduate with a 1st/2.1

Note: investment banking is a very broad field, you need to find out which role you think is the best fit for you i.e. sales/trading, research, IBD, private wealth, operations, risk management, finance, technology etc

Just something I threw together based on observation and successful candidates I personally know or on TSR.
nnnnl
Lol personally I don't think this thread has any significance. Might be fun though. You're good enough if the employers think you'll be a profitable hire. It's not like uni applications where if you tick certain boxes you're highly likely to get in.

If the interviewer's not feeling it, he's not feeling it! Doesn't matter who you are...

I thought thats what the Big 4 did :cool:
Reply 12
e-lover
Just a quick question of IB&C, just how 'targeted' is LSE? I hear people saying that the IB's literally take over LSE in the Autumn! What sort of events do they hold?! Cheers x

What does that have to do with this thread?
unknown demon
Get AAAA ---> Oxbridge, LSE, Warwick, UCL, Imperial --->

isnt it still hard regardless getting into IB from one of these institutions
Reply 14
Drogue
What does that have to do with this thread?

:unsure:
trance addict
isnt it still hard regardless getting into IB from one of these institutions

Yes, but we are talking about boosting the OPs chances.
nothing
Degree: MEng/Beng Civil Engineering
University: Edinburgh
Year of study: 1st, going into 2nd
ECs: Trading and investment club, 1st Football team, run my own successful internet business which makes xxxx pounds a month
Work experience: hardly anything noteworthy so far. currently working in Barclays as a cashier over the summer and will be applying to IBs for spring insight weeks this year and hopefully the summer internships next year.

what do you think then? any chance?
Reply 18
just speculating, as anyone will be in this thread. I'd say you'll get an interview (or maybe numberical and verbal testing first) at most or all 2nd tiers you apply to, and some BBs. Based on your info alone...
Mos Def
Nah, you can say a hell of a great chance, but how do you know they will get in?

True, but for the point of these threads, as we really can't be certain of anything, I used 'will'.

Quick Reply

Latest