The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

University of Glasgow blether thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by greeneyedgirl
No, we were given slots last year by surname, and that's when you get given your student card etc :smile: all very thrilling, but be warned, look nice, my photo is horrendous cos I was hungover and had been rained on and had no idea the photo was being taken rather than us giving a photo so I look shocking, and the photo stays with you for all 4 years...

Okay so when I go to collect my student card just hand that over as well?
I've registered online, we've been thrown in the deep end this year with the new MyCampus program =P
When I was registering we uploaded a photo so they would have our ID cards prepared anyway!
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Original post by sophie4815
I've registered online, we've been thrown in the deep end this year with the new MyCampus program =P
When I was registering we uploaded a photo so they would have our ID cards prepared anyway!

Nope! :smile: There is no need to hand in anything.
Original post by sophie4815

Then they've completely changed it over to mycampus and you'll all get nice photos :frown:
Original post by NoCommentMan
Look for your named degree, and it will tell you which courses you should take.

http://www.gla.ac.uk/media/media_79569_en.pdf

Hey, any chance there's one of those breakdowns for an arts degree?
Original post by metro2610
Hey, any chance there's one of those breakdowns for an arts degree?

Never seen one for arts degree. It may be worth contacting your college.

By the way, I am managed to enrol for first and second semester level 2 courses! I am very pround of myself since the process of enroling is more difficult than passing Maths exams. :wink:
Reply 3905
Ok my next problem is that a maths class I'm supposed to take with my Computing Science degree has no tutorials left, they're all full. :confused:

Edit: Just phoned up the uni and they said the tutorials aren't full, it's a system error. And the reason my mathematics class isn't showing up is also a system error. Great :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3906
Due to missing out on a grade and being considered for a few days, before being accepted, I only got my confirmation letter two days ago. Yet this means I've not yet received any information relating to tutors/accommodation/mycampus.

Shall I wait a few days or is it vitally important that I chase this up?
Reply 3907
Oh, I feel like my beginning of a student life is really screwed up. Student halls offered were too expensive so I rejected, but I can arrive in Glasgow/Scotland only on 11th September which leaves me very little time to find some place to live.
As I learned from mighty google, the main bus service is ran by FirstGroup, right? And their Student Zone Card is the best choice to get around? Is the bus service in Glasgow sufficient? I mean, is there any need in the tube if you have a bus zone card?
And I am confused a little about Fresher's Pass, is it impossible to attend absolutely any Fresher's event without it?
Any replies very appreciated.
Reply 3908
Original post by Serge-
Oh, I feel like my beginning of a student life is really screwed up. Student halls offered were too expensive so I rejected, but I can arrive in Glasgow/Scotland only on 11th September which leaves me very little time to find some place to live.
As I learned from mighty google, the main bus service is ran by FirstGroup, right? And their Student Zone Card is the best choice to get around? Is the bus service in Glasgow sufficient? I mean, is there any need in the tube if you have a bus zone card?
And I am confused a little about Fresher's Pass, is it impossible to attend absolutely any Fresher's event without it?

Get the Zone Card that allows you to use the subway. It's quicker and easier than the bus! It's a little more expensive I think, but it's how I got to uni all last year. I suppose it depends on where you're living though - if you aren't within a shortish walk to a subway station it probably isn't as useful!

And unless they've changed it from last year, you need a pass for all evening/night events in freshers week, but not during the day.
Original post by Serge-

You have done very well by rejecting their student halls because you are right that the halls are too expensive.

The bus services are very good and their (FirstGroup) student card (1, 4 or 10 weeks) is cheap. You should not go for a SPT ZoneCard (unless you live far outside of the city of Glasgow) because it is too expensive. It allows you to use most busses, subway AND train. That's why it more convinient to buy that card if you live in Motherwell, Helensburgh etc. but not if you live in Glasgow. The price-performance ratio (not sure whether that the right word since I had to translate it from German) is not good. Again, just go for a student FirstGroup bus ticket.

This one: http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/glasgow/tickets/student_bus_travel/tickets.php

Not this one: http://www.spt.co.uk/tickets/zonecard.aspx

Go to "ZoneCard prices (valid from 6 January 2011)" and you will see what I mean. :biggrin:

If you are interested in one particular flat and you want to know more about the area, just PM me and I will try to tell you something about that area.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by sophiaclarke
hello, has anyone else had trouble enrolling in maths? I got a B at A level, so I meet the requirements, but it'd telling me I don't and not letting me enroll

either can I , I got A* in a-level math and they won't allow me to enroll on math 1X and 1Y
Reply 3911
Original post by NightKings
either can I , I got A* in a-level math and they won't allow me to enroll on math 1X and 1Y

see if you can stay in 1R/1S
it's a skive and makes no difference to anything which one you take
from what my friends told me they felt no benefit from doing 1X and 1Y, it was difficult and they hardly used anything they learned ever again
then again if you're doing maths because you want to learn maths and not because you want a degree[i/] in maths maybe you'd enjoy it
i certainly enjoyed sleeping in the back of the boyd orr more than i'd have enjoyed 1X and 1Y though...
Reply 3912
Original post by Serge-

you will find a flat near the uni no problem
if you choose to live elsewhere though, you have a choice between:

First Bus Student Zone card
about £80 for 10 weeks will get you on a bus to anywhere in glasgow really, it stretches out as far as Baillieston to the east, clydebank west, newton mearns south and bishopbriggs north, so that'll be enough

SPT Zone Card (confusing isn't it)
this is different, as it applies to basically all modes of public transport around the strathclyde area
unlike First whose zone card is just 3 zones (very centre of glasgow, outer limits, and surrounding areas), the SPT Zone Card has about a million zones (77 actually), the more zones you want the more expensive it is, for someone like me it was a necessity, as I had to get the train and then underground to get to uni (and sometimes the bus to the station because I was running late...), there's no other way. mine was 3 zones and cost £180 for 10 weeks, which sounds steep, but a return journey on the train is £4 at offpeak times, £5.50 at peak, and then the underground on top of that was £2.40 for a return, so a week with 5 9am starts would set me back around £40, as opposed to the 18 that it costs essentially with the zone card.
In addition, i used it to jump on trains and buses outside of my zones and never once got pulled up for it. You have to buy a minimum of two zones though at £140 for 10 weeks, and since First Bus services almost all of Glasgow bar my tiny little corner of it, you probably won't need to bother with this.
(edited 12 years ago)
Hey there,

I will enter my first year in September and definitely consider changing my life sciences major to economics/finance.I am not quite accustomed with the credits system and therefore I don't get how it is possible to switch courses since you have 80 compulsory credits from your "chosen" field....

Bottom line: Should I postpone choosing my courses until I meet with the adviser, have a talk about this and see if there is anything to to about it? Can you pick up more courses than those required for the 120 credits in order to change your choice completely starting with your second year? I am really unhappy with my initial choice.
Original post by unbesiegbar11
Hey there,

I will enter my first year in September and definitely consider changing my life sciences major to economics/finance.I am not quite accustomed with the credits system and therefore I don't get how it is possible to switch courses since you have 80 compulsory credits from your "chosen" field....

Bottom line: Should I postpone choosing my courses until I meet with the adviser, have a talk about this and see if there is anything to to about it? Can you pick up more courses than those required for the 120 credits in order to change your choice completely starting with your second year? I am really unhappy with my initial choice.

You don't meet your adviser, he/she only will checks your timetable and the course you enroll on......
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3915
Thank you d123, NoCommentMan, munn!
OK, now I know how to get around Glasgow :smile:

Can anybody say, how is Physics level 1 math heavy? Is it more about laws and phenomena or calculations?
Reply 3916
Guys anyone doing economics? Can't decide whether to do econ or ex cosmos... I'm doing comp sci and maths and need a 3rd subject! Opinions would be appreciated :smile:
Reply 3917
Original post by Stefanb
Guys anyone doing economics? Can't decide whether to do econ or ex cosmos... I'm doing comp sci and maths and need a 3rd subject! Opinions would be appreciated :smile:

Lol, just like me:smile: But with Physics instead of Exploring Cosmos.
Reply 3918
Original post by Serge-

ex cos was just so that I could take it a bit easy lol but I want to try keep my options open..
Reply 3919
Original post by Serge-

The only econ classes I could take were full, gutted :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending