The Student Room Group
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website

Official Dietetics Applicants Thread 2022

Are you applying to study Dietetics at University in 2022?
Then this is the place for you!
:tsr:

Creating this thread to introduce the next cohort of potential students interested in studying Dietetics and / Nutrition at University!

Feel free to share details:

Course

Which universities you're applying to

This space will invite everyone to share their views, support each other's journey from applying to starting uni, as well as helping to connect with other students. So, include as many details as you want the more you ask the more you know :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm doing an Access to Science and hoping to go to Surrey to study Nutrition and Dietetics BSc
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website
Original post by Calibann
I’m about to start Biology and Chem pathway as well as an A Level which I’m going currently because I’m a martyr lmao.
I am used to A Level format, but am wondering how the coursework is for Access, I’m struggling to see what to expect from the sciences?

I know that I won’t have any exams and it’s all coursework.

How are you getting on?

Was your A level a necessary part of your academic application then?

Access courses have a lot of coursework, often with some back-to-back deadlines. Most (?all) Access courses worth anything have some sort of examination as well as coursework to assess your learning and grade you, so are you sure that your Access course is 100% coursework (and that the universities you're interested in applying to will accept it)?
Original post by Reality Check
Was your A level a necessary part of your academic application then?

Access courses have a lot of coursework, often with some back-to-back deadlines. Most (?all) Access courses worth anything have some sort of examination as well as coursework to assess your learning and grade you, so are you sure that your Access course is 100% coursework (and that the universities you're interested in applying to will accept it)?

Hi there.

Long story short, exam centres don't exist in my region for private candidates (ireland) to sit the A Level so I have to take an Access to make sure I hit requirements.
It is with AOLL and they are with a legit awarding body approved by QQA. I asked if there are exams like with Distance Learning Centre where they use skype, but they said it's all coursework based. I did wonder like you TBH. I am waiting to hear back from my uni's, and then I will know for sure which one to go forward with.
(edited 2 years ago)
Hi there.

Long story short, exam centres don't exist in my region for private candidates (ireland) to sit the A Level so I have to take an Access to make sure I hit requirements.
It is with AOLL and they are with a legit awarding body approved by QQA. I asked if there are exams like with Distance Learning Centre where they use skype, but they said it's all coursework based. I did wonder like you TBH. I am waiting to hear back from my uni's, and then I will know for sure which one to go forward with.

Aah, that makes much more sense then :smile: You will be in good company as an Irish student studying Dietetics in the UK - as you probably know, there are a large number (and they're always great fun as well). I speak as someone who has taught on Access courses, and several of my students have gone on to do dietetics.
Reply 5
I’m starting a Science Access Course on Monday and will be applying to Chester and Leeds Beckett to study Dietetics. I’ve even already booked on to their Open Days in the next few months!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Reality Check
Aah, that makes much more sense then :smile: You will be in good company as an Irish student studying Dietetics in the UK - as you probably know, there are a large number (and they're always great fun as well). I speak as someone who has taught on Access courses, and several of my students have gone on to do dietetics.

Awwww that's great to hear! Thanks. :biggrin:
Reply 7
I’m about to start Biology and Chem pathway as well as an A Level which I’m going currently because I’m a martyr lmao.
I am used to A Level format, but am wondering how the coursework is for Access, I’m struggling to see what to expect from the sciences?

I know that I won’t have any exams and it’s all coursework.

How are you getting on?

For dietetics you need definitely need biology and chemistry, my Access course is apparently equivalent to 3 A levels and my understanding is that it will cover what's needed for the degree. The format is very simple and it's very clear what you need to learn! I decided it was a better option to doing the 2 A levels in one year (I already have 4 A level in non-science subjects!)
Original post by LDY
For dietetics you need definitely need biology and chemistry, my Access course is apparently equivalent to 3 A levels and my understanding is that it will cover what's needed for the degree. The format is very simple and it's very clear what you need to learn! I decided it was a better option to doing the 2 A levels in one year (I already have 4 A level in non-science subjects!)

That's awesome @LDY I hope you get on greatl with your course! I hate to live with regrets but I am in the same boat, if only I did some Sciences and actually listened to teachers lmao.
I hope I do fine, I will put in the work for sure. If I need help, I have all of you guys! :tongue:
Original post by LDY

I'd say the majority of mature students to dietetics apply with an Access course, so definitely a good option. I'd make sure you're really clear on the chemistry, as the one thing that students seem to consistently struggle with at dietetics (or other AHP degrees) is the biochemistry - you'll probably have a biochem module in your first and second year of uni, so it really pays to understand the underpinnings of it during your Access course :smile:
Original post by LDY
I'm doing an Access to Science and hoping to go to Surrey to study Nutrition and Dietetics BSc

Hey there!

It's great to hear that you're hoping to come to Surrey to study Nutrition & Dietetics! If you have any questions please let me know and I can help :smile:

Becca
Reply 11
Can someone please translate what this means.

Course requirements: Access to Higher Education Diploma: to include 15 Distinctions in both Biology and Chemistry credits, and Merits from the remaining level 3 credits.

My course has 16 units: Are there many assignments in one unit? Does this mean I have to get 30 credits Distinction in Bio and Chem units? There are three units in Chem = 15 credits altogther so I need to get Distinction in them all. Goodie! Haha.

Each Access course is slightly different, and entry requirements also differ for individual Unis. So assignments differ too, but there are more than 15 per subject. But basically yes, you'll need to get mostly distinctions!
Hi all,Is anyone looking to apply to Winchester Uni 2022 entry to study Nutrition and Dietetics? I am currently half way through my access course (which I’m really enjoying), I’m also doing maths functional skills alongside. Would be lovely to hear if anyone’s going to the same Uni. I’ll be applying as a mature student at 38.
Reply 13
Original post by emsterbones
Hi all,Is anyone looking to apply to Winchester Uni 2022 entry to study Nutrition and Dietetics? I am currently half way through my access course (which I’m really enjoying), I’m also doing maths functional skills alongside. Would be lovely to hear if anyone’s going to the same Uni. I’ll be applying as a mature student at 38.

I’m not applying to Winchester but I’m a mature student too (31)and just started my Access course this week :smile:. Have you found it doable to get the distinctions required to apply for Dietetics?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Ariel C
I’m not applying to Winchester but I’m a mature student too (32)and just started my Access course this week :smile:. Have you found it doable to get the distinctions required to apply for Dietetics?

Hi. That’s great to hear your applying as a mature student as well. I have 4 merits and 2 distinctions so far. My course only requires passes for the access course so I don’t have too much pressure. If I knew I needed distinctions I’m sure I would try even harder but I’m just trying to go with the flow, it’s definitely achievable. My advice is make use of the extended reading recommendations and find your own as well. Another tip which I’m terrible at is submit work to your tutor for feedback before final submission, I have been given this advice and that’s when I started getting the distinctions! Good luck 😊
Reply 15
Original post by emsterbones
Hi. That’s great to hear your applying as a mature student as well. I have 4 merits and 2 distinctions so far. My course only requires passes for the access course so I don’t have too much pressure. If I knew I needed distinctions I’m sure I would try even harder but I’m just trying to go with the flow, it’s definitely achievable. My advice is make use of the extended reading recommendations and find your own as well. Another tip which I’m terrible at is submit work to your tutor for feedback before final submission, I have been given this advice and that’s when I started getting the distinctions! Good luck 😊

Ah ok, that’s good to know. Thank you for the advice! 😊
I've just started my access course and I'm only applying the Chester so the pressure is definitely on! Has anyone managed to find any shadowing or dietetics awareness events? Chester states that the student must: Ideally visit a dietetic department, obtain similar relevant work shadowing experience or attend dietetic awareness events prior to submitting an application.

I have called the affiliated dietetics departments from the Chester dietetics course page and they advised they have huge waiting lists and may not be putting events on this year due to Covid.
Reply 17
Original post by SarahJean92
I've just started my access course and I'm only applying the Chester so the pressure is definitely on! Has anyone managed to find any shadowing or dietetics awareness events? Chester states that the student must: Ideally visit a dietetic department, obtain similar relevant work shadowing experience or attend dietetic awareness events prior to submitting an application.

I have called the affiliated dietetics departments from the Chester dietetics course page and they advised they have huge waiting lists and may not be putting events on this year due to Covid.

Hey! I’ve also just started an Access Course and also applying to Chester.I went on the BDA website and looked at any Webinars that I could attend and found a few which were helpful.I also had the same issue with trying to shadow a Dietitian so I emailed/called anywhere that had a Dietitian, eventually a really lovely Dietitian from a local Hospice got back to me and arranged to video call me so that she could run through any questions I had. I’m hoping in light of COVID this will be enough for Chester:smile: . Hope this helps!
Reply 18
Original post by Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Are you applying to study Dietetics at University in 2022?
Then this is the place for you!
:tsr:

Creating this thread to introduce the next cohort of potential students interested in studying Dietetics and / Nutrition at University!

Feel free to share details:

Course

Which universities you're applying to

This space will invite everyone to share their views, support each other's journey from applying to starting uni, as well as helping to connect with other students. So, include as many details as you want the more you ask the more you know :smile:

Hey, I’ve decided to also apply to Coventry for Dietetics but was going to apply for the Nutrition course as a back up as well. Would this look bad if I applied for both courses?
Original post by Ariel C
Hey, I’ve decided to also apply to Coventry for Dietetics but was going to apply for the Nutrition course as a back up as well. Would this look bad if I applied for both courses?

Hey @Ariel C,

That's great to hear! If you'd like any help or want more information about studying at Coventry let me know! No, it doesn't look bad. If anything, it shows you're aware and proactive about having a backup plan. :smile:

Veronica
Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest