University College London
London

Will it affect my application?

I'll make it short so it'll be easier to read lol! :smile:

anyways, i do A2 :Biology, Business studies, Economics, Chinese and Chemistry

I got these grades at AS:

Business A (not a respected subject)
Economics A
Chinese A (Im not sure if UCL accepts this because im a British born chinese and started learning mandarin through schooling, family speaks Cantonese)
Chemistry B (I know that if i work hard, ill be able to get an A)
Biology C (dont really like this subject, know i wont be able to get an A)

Im applying to do Law at UCL, SOAS, City (doing business studies), Warwick and Southampton

I got : 2 A*, 5 A , 5 B , 3 C for gcse's (went to a state school with 47% A-C pass rate) im not sure if should get this mentioned in my reference because i hear unis want richer students who go private school?

I want to drop biology at A2 (gives me more time to get an A in Chemistry, Economics, Business and Chinese and i dont really enjoy it anymore)

so..... do you think ill have a chance of getting in with:

Business, Economics, Chinese and Chemistry A2?

OR

Business, Economics, Chinese, Chemistry and Biology at A2?

will dropping Biology have any effect on my application?

thnx :smile:
Reply 1
... you only need 3 A2's

so no it makes no difference if you drop bio or not
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
You've got some good grades there; I wouldn't worry too much about them.

I would definitely drop biology though, just to make sure that you can achieve the A in chemistry.
Reply 3
bean87
... you only need 3 A2's

so no it makes no difference if you drop bio or not

thnak god for saying that! :smile: it would be really good drpping biology becaus eig et to finish early wed -fri! :smile: Are you at UCL btw? does it look like i will have a chnace with my grades or subjects? (im scared UCL may view business and economics as one :frown:)
tokyorose888
I'll make it short so it'll be easier to read lol! :smile:

anyways, i do A2 :Biology, Business studies, Economics, Chinese and Chemistry

I got these grades at AS:

Business A (not a respected subject)
Economics A
Chinese A (Im not sure if UCL accepts this because im a British born chinese and started learning mandarin through schooling, family speaks Cantonese)
Chemistry B (I know that if i work hard, ill be able to get an A)
Biology C (dont really like this subject, know i wont be able to get an A)

Im applying to do Law at UCL, SOAS, City (doing business studies), Warwick and Southampton

I got : 2 A*, 5 A , 5 B , 3 C for gcse's (went to a state school with 47% A-C pass rate) im not sure if should get this mentioned in my reference because i hear unis want richer students who go private school?

I want to drop biology at A2 (gives me more time to get an A in Chemistry, Economics, Business and Chinese and i dont really enjoy it anymore)

so..... do you think ill have a chance of getting in with:

Business, Economics, Chinese and Chemistry A2?

OR

Business, Economics, Chinese, Chemistry and Biology at A2?

will dropping Biology have any effect on my application?

thnx :smile:

That couldn't be much further from the truth; it is a complete myth that universities give preference to those students of what I can only describe as a "higher social class". Yes, there are still universities that have a somewhat skewed ratio of private-school students to comprehensive, but this is usually as a result of them having this bias in the past. Even universities like Oxbridge, amongst others, are trying to get rid of their public/private school connotations by taking into account the circumstances in which a prospective student studied, ie. whether they came from a school/college that has little history of sending students to university.

I really wouldn't worry about dropping Biology, it doesn't seem relevant at all to the course you want to study, Law, and as said previously, you only need three A levels to get into just about any university. Assuming "Business" is one A level and "Economics" is another, no one, not even UCL, should view the two as just one subject.
Reply 5
thnx thnx everyone for the replies :smile: ive only asked in the UCL thread because the other unis seem lower down in status (warwick, southampton, city and SOAS) so if i get a response saying that it wont affect my application then ill assume its the same for the others.

anyone tell me if Business and economics will be frowned upon heavily by UCL? and counted as one subject?

really made my day everyone! :biggrin:
Reply 6
I'd email the admissions tutors regarding the acceptability of business + economics. Some regard the two as having too much overlapping content to count as separate A levels. I'd also enquire about their attitude to Chinese since you speak Cantonese at home.

Although you only need 3 A2s (and offers will be expressed in those terms), for a highly competitive subject like law, having 4 may work to your advantage at UCL and Warwick.

I also wonder if your lack of a traditional essay subject like english or history might be a problem, though not at Warwick apparently:

What subjects should I take at AS/A level?
We have no preference. We believe that legal skills have to be taught to all new undergraduates, and that no pre-University subject gives you any better preparation than any other. Analytical skills learnt in science based subjects are as valuable as those learnt in discussion based subjects such as English or History. We would much rather you chose subjects you enjoy doing, rather than forcing you to do prescribed subjects. In particular, do not be put off doing science or mathematics at A2/AS level. Some of the best lawyers have scientific backgrounds.

good luck
Reply 7
Reply 8
Only the admissions tutors can give you a definitive answer. Try emailing to named admissions tutors again with very specific questions.

Worst case scenario would be:
they don't accepts chinese
count business & economics as one

I wouldn't drop biology until you've heard.

If you get a more positive response, I'd drop it like a stone. There is no need to take 5 subjects to A2.
Reply 9
peachmelba
Only the admissions tutors can give you a definitive answer. Try emailing to named admissions tutors again with very specific questions.

Worst case scenario would be:
they don't accepts chinese
count business & economics as one

I wouldn't drop biology until you've heard.

If you get a more positive response, I'd drop it like a stone. There is no need to take 5 subjects to A2.

ok thnx :smile:

has anyone been in the same scenario? ie has got in with business studies and economics?

:frown: just found out they dont accept A level Chinese if your a native speaker.

Latest

Trending

Trending