The Student Room Group

CS entry requirements

I dont have the grades to apply to queen's mary and royal holloway so i just wanted to ask is it possible for me to go through clearing and get in? Are these two universities usually in clearing? (If not, would it be better to do foundation year at these uni or directly do CS at brunel with placement? I don't want to do foundation year but if it esseantial to get into these good uni's I'm willing to do it.)

I would like to do computer science bsc

My BTEC predicted grades are:
IT (certificate): D (We did the following units: Database, data modelling, IT Systems and Social media)
Business (diploma): D*D
(For maths GCSE, I got a 5. When can I retake it and will it be hard as I have other work to do as well?)

Plus:
During the lockdown, I've learnt Java(including OOP), Python 2, HTML 5 (kind now CSS), discrete maths, JavaScript and C# using Codecademy.
I've also taken part in the YE and NCS programme and attended a few webinars about CS.
Would this make me stand out and increase the chance of getting accepted?

Would there be a chance?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by f3iz
I dont have the grades to apply to brunel and royal holloway so i just wanted to ask is it possible for me to go through clearing and get in? Are these two universities usually in clearing?

No-one has a clue what will be in Clearing each year.
With 'covid risk' making grades more unpredictable, this is even more difficult to guess.

Yes, its 'possible' - but using this as an application strategy is very risky and not recomended.
Reply 2
Original post by McGinger
No-one has a clue what will be in Clearing each year.
With 'covid risk' making grades more unpredictable, this is even more difficult to guess.

Yes, its 'possible' - but using this as an application strategy is very risky and not recomended.

I've seen that due to the pandemic they are accepting lower grades for a levels. (Im talking about royal holloway)
Reply 3
Original post by f3iz
I dont have the grades to apply to queen's mary and royal holloway so i just wanted to ask is it possible for me to go through clearing and get in? Are these two universities usually in clearing? (If not, would it be better to do foundation year at these uni or directly do CS at brunel with placement? I don't want to do foundation year but if it esseantial to get into these good uni's I'm willing to do it.)

I would like to do computer science bsc

My BTEC predicted grades are:
IT (certificate): D (We did the following units: Database, data modelling, IT Systems and Social media)
Business (diploma): D*D
(For maths GCSE, I got a 5. When can I retake it and will it be hard as I have other work to do as well?)

Plus:
During the lockdown, I've learnt Java(including OOP), Python 2, HTML 5 (kind now CSS), discrete maths, JavaScript and C# using Codecademy.
I've also taken part in the YE and NCS programme and attended a few webinars about CS.
Would this make me stand out and increase the chance of getting accepted?

Would there be a chance?

Hi,

I am doing the same BTEC as you. I also want to do Com Sci at Uni.

Which University did you apply for and get it to?

Did Queen Mary give you an offer?

Thanks.
Original post by QueenOla
Hi,

I am doing the same BTEC as you. I also want to do Com Sci at Uni.

Which University did you apply for and get it to?

Did Queen Mary give you an offer?

Thanks.

Their decision would have been 2 years ago and under COVID, not likely to be much guide as to what would happen currently.
Reply 5
Original post by Admit-One
Their decision would have been 2 years ago and under COVID, not likely to be much guide as to what would happen currently.

I need help.
Finding a Uni that would take me for Computer Science with BTEC Business Diploma and BTEC Information Technology Certificate.
Original post by QueenOla
I need help.
Finding a Uni that would take me for Computer Science with BTEC Business Diploma and BTEC Information Technology Certificate.

Unis list their BTEC requirements so I am guessing you don't meet their subject requirements? You'd usually need 3 AL worth of BTEC's and in a related subject area:

New RQF BTEC Nationals (Pearson BTEC Level 3)

National Certificate (graded P, M, D, D*) = 0.5 x A level

National Extended Certificate (graded P, M, D, D*) = 1.0 x A level

National Foundation Diploma (graded P, M, D, D*) = 1.5 x A levels

National Diploma (graded from PP to D*D*) = 2.0 x A levels

National Extended Diploma (graded from PPP to D*D*D*) = 3.0 x A levels

Old QCF BTEC Level 3 qualifications

Certificate (graded P, M, D, D*) = 0.5 x A level

Subsidiary Diploma (graded P, M, D, D*) = 1.0 x A level

90-credit Diploma (graded from PP to D*D*) = 1.5 x A levels

Diploma (graded from PP to D*D*) = 2.0 x A levels

Extended Diploma (graded from PPP to D*D*D*) = 3.0 x A levels

If websites aren't clear, your best bet is to email unis that you are thinking about and ask whether they'd consider your qualifications. You have 4 months to research your options.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending