The Student Room Group

DVSA backs down on change to working hours; strike action cancelled.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by BlackLab
Simple? :biggrin: Not quite, from the top of my head - finding and adapting suitable premises would take months. Recruiting/training people with the required aptitude and attitude to become new examiners for a temporary job just to clear the back log knowing they will be laid off eventually when demand returns to normal is not an easy task. Then take into account this has to be done nationally for the hundreds of test centers in the UK that have backlogs. That is even before thinking where does the money for all this come from? Then the already backlogged DVLA needs to be able to process even more theory tests and full license applications.....................

@TheDE has already summed this up very well.

I work within the DWP and they have met the demand with mass recruitment and temporary JCPs popping up. I do not agree with FTA contracts but it is what it is, a temporary measure to alleviate service pressure.

You say it would take months? It has taken 10~ months for our local popup job centre to go live and I assure you the logistical costs are far higher then running a practical/theory test centre.

The money is there, it's post pandemic recovery. Look at HGV demand, investing now will reap rewards but it all starts with getting this backlog cleared.
Original post by TheDE
From PCS Union;

18 October to 19 October 2021 two days’ national strike action This includes everyone

28 October to 29 October two days’ regional strike action covering the following regions as defined by PCS: Wales, South West and North West England This includes members who work in these areas

4 November to 5 November 2021 two days’ regional strike action covering the following regions as defined by PCS: Yorkshire & Humber, Scotland and Northern England

11 November to 12 November 2021 two days’ regional strike action covering the following regions as defined by PCS: London & South East England, Eastern England, East and West Midlands.

Has the 18th and 19th been confirmed I have my test on the 18th
Hi, please can I ask where you found the above dates for strike action?. I only ask because my test is on 4th November and I’m in the North West😳. The latest I can find on the PCS website dated 4th October is that they are balloting 12th October - 10th November to ascertain wether union members are prepared to strike.
Reply 23
Original post by Hughez09
Hi, please can I ask where you found the above dates for strike action?. I only ask because my test is on 4th November and I’m in the North West😳. The latest I can find on the PCS website dated 4th October is that they are balloting 12th October - 10th November to ascertain wether union members are prepared to strike.

From a briefing PCS sent on October 12th to all driving examiners in the union. The ballot you're referring to is for the DVLA not DVSA.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 24
The DVSA have backed down in the face of widespread strikes. They have agreed to postpone the increase in working hours, perform a full timing and occupational health study also. As a result the union have agreed to postpone any strike action until further notice.
Original post by TheDE
The DVSA have backed down in the face of widespread strikes. They have agreed to postpone the increase in working hours, perform a full timing and occupational health study also. As a result the union have agreed to postpone any strike action until further notice.

Good news. Would rep you but have already done so recently :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending