The Student Room Group

Intensive driving course

Is the worth it?
I’m nearly 23 and can’t drive lol and now want to asap
I had different reasons for putting it off, including that I was lazy, but also because of Covid and stuff
Reply 1
Well it can be but good but only if you have the right aptitude.... and it depends what you call intensive. Getting to grips with a manual gearbox takes about 10 to 12 hours for reasonable control. If you have an automatic less so as its just point and press and - stop.

Do not part with any money until you have spent at least a couple of hours with your anticipated instructor. Watch out for the trap that some of the driving schools hook you in with? Cheaper intensive course (ie discount), pay up front and then you find your instructor is someone you don't gel with or you find is a nightmare, then there is little comeback. Remember you will be sitting in with them for 8 hours at a time. If you then cancel you lose all of your money. You will be tired, stressed and driving should be an enjoyable experience.

You see how this works?

Starting to drive is very concentration intensive. After an hour your brain is fried. You need a break. If you can do one hour on, one hour off you might get some rest, but it is heavy going.

The DVSA recommend you drive for at least 67 hours driving experience (Professional instruction and private practice) before your practical test. So you can work out roughly the time you need. It depends how much hand eye co-ordination you have and how well you understand the highway code and be able to apply it. I wouldn't like to do it as driving hour after hour it is too stressful. If you get to the end of the intensive course and you are not test ready the Instructor won't put you in for a test. More aggravation and you will probably feel cheated.

See if you can find a local independent Instructor who has any spare capacity and try 2 or 3 in a day if they can (a lesson then plan a long gap before the next lesson etc) and look for about 2 weeks intensive practice and re-evaluate?

Don't forget you will need to pass your theory test before you can take your practical driving test - so get that booked up first. Its a good idea to have a working knowledge of the highway code before you start driving particularly if you do an intensive course.

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest