The Student Room Group
City-centre campus surrounded by parks
Solent University
Southampton

Need any advice on writing your personal statement?

We’ve all been there, and we know how daunting writing a personal statement can be. It can be difficult to know what is relevant to include, how to get started, how to write about yourself etc. We’re here to help though!

Do you have any questions or need some advice on how to write your personal statement? What are you finding most challenging about the process? Let us know in this thread we’ll do our best to support you 😊

Chloe & Isaac :smile:
I've completed a draft of my personal statement, but so far it seems really bland. I've written about my extra curriculars, hobbies, education etc, but still feel it's not comparable to others, content and grammar wise. Is there anything I can include that can make my personal statement stand out? Also, what do universities look for in a personal statement?
City-centre campus surrounded by parks
Solent University
Southampton
Have you talked about your super-curricular activities? I think unis are interested in your wider reading and engagement with the subject, and less with hobbies
Original post by Anonymous
Have you talked about your super-curricular activities? I think unis are interested in your wider reading and engagement with the subject, and less with hobbies

I've talked about an online course I did, and an essay competition I entered, both on the basis of my course. Would this be enough?
Original post by anonxasian
I've talked about an online course I did, and an essay competition I entered, both on the basis of my course. Would this be enough?

I would probably add in a book? I think the ratio I did for academic stuff : extra-curricular was like 85:15, but my course was not interested in personal stuff. It is different if you are doing something like medicine or nursing, when they want you to be more well-rounded. But the online course and essay competition sound great.
What do teachers at your school think? They will be best placed to judge the balance of things in your personal statement.
Original post by booklover1313
I would probably add in a book? I think the ratio I did for academic stuff : extra-curricular was like 85:15, but my course was not interested in personal stuff. It is different if you are doing something like medicine or nursing, when they want you to be more well-rounded. But the online course and essay competition sound great.
What do teachers at your school think? They will be best placed to judge the balance of things in your personal statement.

Thanks! My teachers think it's okay, since I'm applying for a business degree, although I might add a book- thanks again.
Original post by anonxasian
I've completed a draft of my personal statement, but so far it seems really bland. I've written about my extra curriculars, hobbies, education etc, but still feel it's not comparable to others, content and grammar wise. Is there anything I can include that can make my personal statement stand out? Also, what do universities look for in a personal statement?

Hi @anonxasian, sorry about the late reply. Personal statements are a tricky one to pinpoint what is exactly right. Look to list key skills and then elaborate on them explaining how these points make you a stronger candidate. Look to have a one to one tutoring session with an English language tutor to work on grammar. I did this as it was a weak area of mine and I feel much more confident in my writing abilities now. Hobbies or interests that can link to the degree you are looking to study are a great way to enhance a personal statement. Universities look for passion around the subject you are going to study, an example of this can be your studies at school or college. Another strength for a personal statement is through short and long term goals, these can be what you want to achieve at university and more long term.

Again I'm sorry for the late reply, hope this helps. Feel free to reply to this for any other questions.
Isaac:smile:
Original post by Solent University, Southampton
Hi @anonxasian, sorry about the late reply. Personal statements are a tricky one to pinpoint what is exactly right. Look to list key skills and then elaborate on them explaining how these points make you a stronger candidate. Look to have a one to one tutoring session with an English language tutor to work on grammar. I did this as it was a weak area of mine and I feel much more confident in my writing abilities now. Hobbies or interests that can link to the degree you are looking to study are a great way to enhance a personal statement. Universities look for passion around the subject you are going to study, an example of this can be your studies at school or college. Another strength for a personal statement is through short and long term goals, these can be what you want to achieve at university and more long term.

Again I'm sorry for the late reply, hope this helps. Feel free to reply to this for any other questions.
Isaac:smile:

thank you!!
read books to improve your grammar and also you can look into essay tutor who assist people in writing superb essays .:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending