The Student Room Group

AI Detection on Personal Statement

I've just finished my personal statement and ready to submit but decided to put it in an AI detector just by chance to see whether I write AI like and it came up with around like 21% AI detection? I'm not sure how to feel about this considering I genuinely wrote it all myself with a week in the making and I don't see how I could write a better version in the time I have left (Internal Deadline of 30th Oct). Is this a major problem?
Speak to your college about it and ask if they’ll be able to send your application back to you when the reference has been added to allow you to update the PS from your current draft. That’ll give you months to make changes to make it sound more personal and less like a bot!
Original post by MJK1111
I've just finished my personal statement and ready to submit but decided to put it in an AI detector just by chance to see whether I write AI like and it came up with around like 21% AI detection? I'm not sure how to feel about this considering I genuinely wrote it all myself with a week in the making and I don't see how I could write a better version in the time I have left (Internal Deadline of 30th Oct). Is this a major problem?

A 21% AI detection rate in your personal statement doesn't necessarily mean you plagiarized or used AI to write it. It might be picking up on certain common phrases or structures. However, it's essential to review your statement carefully to ensure it's original and reflects your voice and experiences genuinely.

Here's what you can do:

Review and Revise: Go through your personal statement again. Check for any unintentional similarities to online resources and rephrase sentences if needed.

Be Authentic: Personal statements are meant to reflect your unique experiences and aspirations. Make sure it genuinely represents you.

Ask for Feedback: Get feedback from teachers, friends, or family. They can help identify any areas that might need revision.

Avoid Direct Quotes: If you did research or read resources for inspiration, ensure you're not directly quoting without proper citation.

Submit with Confidence: If after careful review you're confident in the authenticity of your personal statement, submit it as is. Universities understand that applicants might seek advice or read samples online.

Remember, universities value honesty and authenticity. As long as your personal statement truly represents you and your aspirations, you should be fine. Good luck with your application!

Fatima
LSBU Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending