The Student Room Group

Architecture Applicants 2022

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Annannapurna
I didn't have an interview, just submitted a PDF of my portfolio & offer was a few days later. Have you sent your portfolio yet?

i sent my portfolio in almost 2 months ago and I still dont have an offer...
Original post by Guedcuuuv
Have applied to UCL, Cambridge and Bath, for bottom two I am choosing between Edinburgh, Cardiff, Sheffield, and Manchester. Which 2 should I pick?

Predicted grades are 3A* and 1A for maths, further maths, physics and art.

Sheffield and Manchester's architecture programs are really good and the cities have incredible sights, I'd pick those two if I were you!
Original post by jayydah
i sent my portfolio in almost 2 months ago and I still dont have an offer...

Hmm, wonder if they're sending them out in batches? I hope you get your offer soon.
I got one from Newcastle at the same time, it's good to know that people looked at my portfolio & still want me hahaha
Reply 23
Has anyone heard back from MSA or Sheffield yet?
Original post by hk493

I haven't heard back from Sheffield but I got an offer from MSA !
Original post by Annannapurna
I got an offer about a month ago, 2 days after submitting portfolio. They want AAB & my predicted grades are A*A*A

May I ask what type of things did you include in your portfolio? And did you add a lot of text to elaborate on your ideas and process? (eg why did you make it, how did you come up with it, challenges you faced etc) thank you :smile:
Hardly any text, 2 of the images had short explanations that they were responses to work by artists (Le Witt & Boullé) the rest were pretty self explanatory life drawings of local buildings that I like. I had a Cambridge interview where I was able to show them some of my 3D card & paper work which I didn't include in any of the portfolios I sent out because I didn't think that it photographed well.
I would say just include what you're happiest with & don't overthink it :smile:
Original post by hk493

haven't heard back from MSA at all... Sheffield I submitted my portfolio a month ago but haven't heard anything either.
I'm thinking of applying for architecture at Edinburgh, Glasgow, Liverpool, Bath and Leeds.

I'm studying the Spanish bachillerato and hoping to get an 8,5 out of 10 overall, yet my predictive grades are slightly lower.

I'm just finishing creating my portfolio and my personal statement. I'm wondering if people send their UCAS application with their portfolio or separately. When do applicants usually send their portfolio?

Cheers

@StrawberryDreams
Original post by Sam__Cook
I'm thinking of applying for architecture at Edinburgh, Glasgow, Liverpool, Bath and Leeds.

I'm studying the Spanish bachillerato and hoping to get an 8,5 out of 10 overall, yet my predictive grades are slightly lower.

I'm just finishing creating my portfolio and my personal statement. I'm wondering if people send their UCAS application with their portfolio or separately. When do applicants usually send their portfolio?

Cheers

@StrawberryDreams

The process is to send in your UCAS application first. If a university is interested in you, then they will ask for your portfolio. This can happen within a couple of weeks of submitting your application

Please note that portfolio requirements differ by university - some send specific tasks, some request that specific formats are included (eg photography), some require a written section, and some will require submission on a specific platform, eg carbonmade or blogspot. You will be given, on average, two to four works to submit your portfolio.
Did anyone get their Bartlett tasks due with their portfolio? Eg have to submit the task and the portfolio on the same day? Because I got this but then some other people didn’t even get asked for their portfolio, and only for their task

Does anyone know what this means? eg should I be worried
Have you done a creative subject for A level? If not, that might be the reason why you have been asked for your portfolio now.

I think that UCL applicants are often asked to share their portfolios if they make it to the interview stage.
Original post by normaw
Have you done a creative subject for A level? If not, that might be the reason why you have been asked for your portfolio now.

I think that UCL applicants are often asked to share their portfolios if they make it to the interview stage.

I personally don't take a creative subject, but some of my friend do and they also got the portfolio requirement. And we are all a mix of A levels and IB
Reply 33
Original post by aashleypng
Did anyone get their Bartlett tasks due with their portfolio? Eg have to submit the task and the portfolio on the same day? Because I got this but then some other people didn’t even get asked for their portfolio, and only for their task

I am an early applicant so I had the task submitted at the end of October and after submitting it one day after I got an invitation for an interview at the beginning of November. It was very short notice (2 weeks apart only) and I was told to send my portfolio to my interviewer one day before the actual interview day. Then I have just received an offer from UCL a few days ago. It may vary for people as usually people would bring their physical portfolios to interviews in person and it's been switched to online, maybe they would decide whether to invite you to an interview based on your portfolio? I think it is nothing to worry about, just show them your best works!
Original post by miu :)
I am an early applicant so I had the task submitted at the end of October and after submitting it one day after I got an invitation for an interview at the beginning of November. It was very short notice (2 weeks apart only) and I was told to send my portfolio to my interviewer one day before the actual interview day. Then I have just received an offer from UCL a few days ago. It may vary for people as usually people would bring their physical portfolios to interviews in person and it's been switched to online, maybe they would decide whether to invite you to an interview based on your portfolio? I think it is nothing to worry about, just show them your best works!

Ah I see hmm thank you! Congrats on your offer by the way :smile: any tips you can give with regards to the portfolio? ahah
the email specified that they will only look at our portfolio if we get to the interview stage so i dont think its a deciding factor unfortunately :/
applying for ba arch at sheffield, edinburgh, huddersfield and leeds beckett, and ba landscape at sheffield also.
a levels in geography, art & maths predicted A*A*A, and i got an A* in epq (not fully confirmed but based on last years grade boundaries i’m pretty certain it will be)
had 2 interview offers from huddersfield and leeds beckett, and a portfolio request from sheffield. edinburgh are notorious for responding at the last possible minute so i’m not too bothered, especially as they don’t ask for interview or portfolio.
no offers yet tho :frown:
Reply 36

Maybe they’re doing this with applicants now (rather than people who applied early in oct) to speed up the process if they decide invite you to interview? Just speculating
Reply 37
Ah I see hmm thank you! Congrats on your offer by the way :smile: any tips you can give with regards to the portfolio? ahah
the email specified that they will only look at our portfolio if we get to the interview stage so i dont think its a deciding factor unfortunately :/

Thank youuu <3
For portfolio, try to include as many mediums to show your ability. I have personally included the followings: watercolour, pencil, charcoal, digital, a 3D piece (not necessary but could help), photography and acrylic. Really just put anything you are proud of or pieces that you can talk about in detail. My interviewer liked my what I would consider as the most unusual / out of the box piece and I have shown the process of development on one page. Show them the process how you think or how you come up with the idea as they love that. Good luck xx
Original post by normaw
If you're applying to uni for Architecture for autumn 2022 entry, introduce yourself and share as much detail as you're comfortable with:

What universities are you thinking of:
A level / BTEC/ IB / Higher predicted grades:
GCSE grades:
Extra curriculars:

@StrawberryDreams

Hi I want to become an architect and I want to make some friends who are also interested within this field. I have been accepted into Newcastle university with a distinction A-level in graphic design I received, for my GCSE’s, a 4/5 in English 6 in Maths and a 6/5 in science.
Original post by 806644
Applied to UCL, Cardiff, Sheffield, Liverpool and Newcastle. A level predicted: A*BB in geography, maths and art respectivelyGCSE: 9999999999 in DT, geography, PE, Spanish and core subjects inc triple science.

Have you heard anything from Newcastle?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending