The Student Room Group

Poor TMUA with interview

Context: Computing Cambridge, Taking a gap year with A* A* A B in hand.

Okay, so I've received my TMUA and i've quite frankly done horrendous. I've scored a 3.3 on average. I'm not sure what came over me in during the test but I'm really not an idiot. Perhaps it was the time pressure, not sure.

Regardless, I've received an interview. NOT SURE HOW! But I have, perhaps it was my personal statement?

My question is in two parts:
1. If I am invited to an interview and do relatively amazing will they overlook my poor scores and I have a decent chance?

2. Did they invite me to an interview already knowing my scores or will they look at this after?

I understand they look at the application holistically but some posters on TSR have said that's just something people to say to ease people who don't have a chance. So please be honest if that's the case.

Thanks in advance for your responses!
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
Im wondering this as well. Pretty much nothing of what I revised came up and like over half the questions had some extreme integration thrown in just to make everything more complex - a topic I haven't even fully covered in school. I don't take Further either. Got a 4.5 in both and overall, so wondering the exact same things.
Original post by vbsc_
Im wondering this as well. Pretty much nothing of what I revised came up and like over half the questions had some extreme integration thrown in just to make everything more complex - a topic I haven't even fully covered in school. I don't take Further either. Got a 4.5 in both and overall, so wondering the exact same things.

If you don't mind me asking, what college has invited you to an interview?
Reply 3
Hi, Cambridge usually give out interviews to people who they believe have a chance of getting in; those who get rejected before interview wouldn't have been offered a place even with an outstanding interview, which is why they don't get a chance. I think colleges receive admission test scores before they allocate interviews, so the fact that you have an interview shows that they see potential in your application as a whole, so don't worry about it and do your best in the interview! Good luck :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by PotatoPeeler88
If you don't mind me asking, what college has invited you to an interview?

Don't want to publicise everything but it's a popular one around the centre :smile:

Okay, so I've received my TMUA and i've quite frankly done horrendous. I've scored a 3.3 on average. I'm not sure what came over me in during the test but I'm really not an idiot. Perhaps it was the time pressure, not sure.

Regardless, I've received an interview. NOT SURE HOW! But I have, perhaps it was my personal statement?

1. If I am invited to an interview and do relatively amazing will they overlook my poor scores and I have a decent chance?

2. Did they invite me to an interview already knowing my scores or will they look at this after?

I understand they look at the application holistically but some posters on TSR have said that's just something people to say to ease people who don't have a chance. So please be honest if that's the case.

Hi, I know that this I a year old but just wondering if you got in? I’ve sat my TMUA too but I don’t feel great abt it. Just wondering if I’ll even get an interview? Too stressed tbh can’t stop thinking abt it
Reply 6
Original post by Fndjdidisjb
Hi, I know that this I a year old but just wondering if you got in? I’ve sat my TMUA too but I don’t feel great abt it. Just wondering if I’ll even get an interview? Too stressed tbh can’t stop thinking abt it

This year's TMUA was harder than usual (especially paper 2) so the grade boundaries would hopefully be lower than usual. Dw about it, I think most applicants do get an interview. What college are you applying to?
Original post by ab487
This year's TMUA was harder than usual (especially paper 2) so the grade boundaries would hopefully be lower than usual. Dw about it, I think most applicants do get an interview. What college are you applying to?

Newnham. And u?
Reply 8
Original post by Fndjdidisjb
Newnham. And u?

Queens
Reply 9

i know its been a while but did you end up getting an offer in the end?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending