The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

cursed painting in royal holloway?

Apologise for the exceeding randomness but I was just looking at an article on the "worlds creepiest places" on msn.com and Royal Holloway was mentioned as no 9:

" Royal Holloway, London
On the outskirts of London, the university of Royal Holloway houses many mysteries. Rumours of a cursed painting still linger after a student was so disturbed by the black eyes of the pictured bears that he committed suicide in front of it. Every year, when students take their examinations in the hall where it hangs, the painting is covered by a Union Jack. The university is also said to be haunted by its founder—Thomas Holloway—who appears in the building every night in the form of a black cat."

I just wondered if any of this was true, especially the bit about the painting being covered by a Union Jack? Oh and Happy Halloween everyone!

heres the article:
http://uk.encarta.msn.com/encnet/features/lists/Default.aspx?article=CreepiestPlaces

Scroll to see replies

Well, when my Dad went there in the 70s the painting was definitely still being covered up. He always tells me that story!
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
carnivorous_fridge
Well, when my Dad went there in the 70s the painting was definitely still being covered up. He always tells me that story!

so msn wasnt talking complete rubbish then!
I dont think I could concentrate if I was taking an exam in that hall, I'd just keep imagining what was underneath the flag...
Reply 4
No, it's called "Man proposes - God deposes". It's a picture of a couple of polar bears tucking in to a hearty feast of "foolish polar explorer"...or at least they're in amongst a wrecked camp and I think you can just about make out some human remains... Certainly not the most cheery of paintings regardless.

As for Thomas, he doesn't haunt the campus as a cat. He is re-incarnated as a real life cat and can be seen wandering around campus at any point during the day. Probably enjoys being stroked and having scritches behind the ear if he comes over to you.

However, his wife (whose name escapes me at the moment) does haunt Founders and can be seen walking the halls late at night. She is one of the many ghosts the campus boasts and there are many other spooky stories that searching these forums should turn up.
Reply 5
This is it:
Reply 6
Makes me want to commit suicide..

Looks like we're in for a fun night in Founders :biggrin:
Reply 7
In the version I heard the poor student put pencils up her nose and smashed her face into the desk. Pretty grim.
freaky, how old is the university?
Reply 9
Started admitting women in 1886? Sometime around then.
Reply 10
One thing that gets me, if she died, then how do they know it was the painting that "caused" it, and also why the black eyes? How could they know?
she wrote on her exam paper "the polar bears made me do it"...
Reply 12
Ahh yeah I remember that bit now. Freaky.
You guys are freaking me out!! I'm really easily scared by the paranormal... and it doesnt help that I'd like to stay in Founders!!
Reply 14
there are many stories about royal holloway!..but its not haunted..ive been there for 2 years and i hvnt come accross anything scary!..but the polar bear story is true!

and theres to many cats in egham they cant all be thomas holloway!
Reply 15
Ever explored the depths of founders at night? thats always goodfun

especially the roof, with the one way door
I've been in the tunnel in Founders, but being a wuss I got scared and left lol. Where's the one way door?
Reply 17
pinks
there are many stories about royal holloway!..but its not haunted..ive been there for 2 years and i hvnt come accross anything scary!

That's not entirely surprising. I imagine the vast majority of students don't see anything scary whilst they're here. It's not like the scary stuff is happening all the time across campus. You have to be at the right place at the right time.

pinks
and theres to many cats in egham they cant all be thomas holloway!

They're not all Thomas...just one of them is :yep:
s*** this sounds scary... was already at a boarding house for two years that was used as a hospital in the world wars and was scared out of my head (esp. because i heard weird noises the same night another girl had a dream about this dead solider staring at her)...

prob is about RHUL is that if it's haunted, knowing my luck i'll probably see something that would really frighten me and get way too paranoid... :/
I still haven't found the tunnel - where is it?!
I also want to see the room with the black ceiling.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending