The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

i messed up my uni degree

self explanatory, I didn't think I would do that well in my A levels and have realised that I want to do law at royal holloway. Problem is, I'm scared that they won't accept me through clearing. what should I do?
The only way to guarantee that you won't get in is by not applying. You have nothing to lose by trying, so ring Royal Holloway and apply :smile:
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Original post by onlinegyaah
self explanatory, I didn't think I would do that well in my A levels and have realised that I want to do law at royal holloway. Problem is, I'm scared that they won't accept me through clearing. what should I do?

There are quite a few details missing here. You say, you've "realised that I want to do law at royal holloway". This implies that you didn't apply to study Law at Royal Holloway. Did you apply for a different course at Royal Hollloway? Or did you apply for Law elsewhere? If so, what is it's status? Did you get an offer which has now been confirmed (following results day)? Or do you bot have a uni place right now?

You say, "I didn't think I would do that well". Does that mean you did do well? Better than expected?

It would appear that Law is in Clearing at Royal Hollloway. What makes you think they wouldn't accept you? Subjects? Grades? Something else?

It terms of "what should I do", that's simple. Call their Clearing hotline when it re-opens at 9am on Monday. Good luck. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by DataVenia
There are quite a few details missing here. You say, you've "realised that I want to do law at royal holloway". This implies that you didn't apply to study Law at Royal Holloway. Did you apply for a different course at Royal Hollloway? Or did you apply for Law elsewhere? If so, what is it's status? Did you get an offer which has now been confirmed (following results day)? Or do you bot have a uni place right now?

You say, "I didn't think I would do that well". Does that mean you did do well? Better than expected?

It would appear that Law is in Clearing at Royal Hollloway. What makes you think they wouldn't accept you? Subjects? Grades? Something else?

It terms of "what should I do", that's simple. Call their Clearing hotline when it re-opens at 9am on Monday. Good luck. :smile:

I plan on calling them on monday. I always knew I wanted to do Law but I had a rough two years with my grades which meant I didn't think I would get in so I didn't really apply out of insecurity. But after receiving my grades, I had a long think about the course I applied for at a different university and realised it wasn't for me. I don't really have a reason as to why they wouldn't accept me; my self confidence in academics has depleted rapidly, but I will try because I rather apply than be stuck on a course at a different uni I didn't really want to apply to.
I plan on calling them on monday. I always knew I wanted to do Law but I had a rough two years with my grades which meant I didn't think I would get in so I didn't really apply out of insecurity. But after receiving my grades, I had a long think about the course I applied for at a different university and realised it wasn't for me. I don't really have a reason as to why they wouldn't accept me; my self confidence in academics has depleted rapidly, but I will try because I rather apply than be stuck on a course at a different uni I didn't really want to apply to.

Excellent. So call them on Monday and see what they say. :smile:

You say that you "applied for at a different university and realised it wasn't for me". Did you get an offer? Was that place confirmed? The reason I'm asking that question (and the reason I asked it in my first reply) is that you cannot formally apply via Clearing in UCAS Hub whilst holding either an offer or a confirmed place.

It fine to talk with Royal Holloway and establish whether they'd accept you via Clearing if you were to apply. But you'd need to decline your existing place (if you have one) before you can formally apply via Clearing. So try to establish from Royal Holloway where their verbal offer (should they make one) is guaranteed to turn into an actual offer should you formally apply.

I say this because some universities will encourage many more students to apply through UCAS Clearing than they can accept. These people think they have a place, only for their Clearing application to be turned down a few days later. Most universities don't do this. But as I don't know you current status (with regards to an existing offer / place), I thought it worth mentioning.
Reply 5
Excellent. So call them on Monday and see what they say. :smile:

You say that you "applied for at a different university and realised it wasn't for me". Did you get an offer? Was that place confirmed? The reason I'm asking that question (and the reason I asked it in my first reply) is that you cannot formally apply via Clearing in UCAS Hub whilst holding either an offer or a confirmed place.

It fine to talk with Royal Holloway and establish whether they'd accept you via Clearing if you were to apply. But you'd need to decline your existing place (if you have one) before you can formally apply via Clearing. So try to establish from Royal Holloway where their verbal offer (should they make one) is guaranteed to turn into an actual offer should you formally apply.

I say this because some universities will encourage many more students to apply through UCAS Clearing than they can accept. These people think they have a place, only for their Clearing application to be turned down a few days later. Most universities don't do this. But as I don't know you current status (with regards to an existing offer / place), I thought it worth mentioning.

really? See, I have the offer from a different university but I don't want to reject it in case royal holloway reject me. Do you think it would be wise mentioning to the admissions team that I didn't feel like the university was right for me before rejecting my firm? I would rather make sure the offer was there and know whether royal holloway will accept before rejecting it.
really? See, I have the offer from a different university but I don't want to reject it in case royal holloway reject me. Do you think it would be wise mentioning to the admissions team that I didn't feel like the university was right for me before rejecting my firm? I would rather make sure the offer was there and know whether royal holloway will accept before rejecting it.

Well, step one is to call the hotline and see what the situation is with regards to them offering you a place via Clearing. They'll want to know your grades / subjects / etc. They might say, "No thanks" at that point in which case everything else is moot.

However, if they give you the green light to apply via UCAS, I'd tell them that you're currently holding an offer/place at a different university, which you'd have to decline in order to formally apply for the Clearing place at Royal Holloway. Then ask them how likely it is that when you did this, that the Clearing place would at Royal Holloway would fail to materialise.

Hopefully they'll tell you that as long as you have offer of a place verbally (over the phone) from them, and that you apply formally via UCAS with the next 24 hours (or whatever timeline they specify) then your place will be confirmed when you formally apply.

However, if they hesitate and say they'll need to review your application, and these things can take time, etc. then I'd be more skeptical.
Reply 7
Well, step one is to call the hotline and see what the situation is with regards to them offering you a place via Clearing. They'll want to know your grades / subjects / etc. They might say, "No thanks" at that point in which case everything else is moot.

However, if they give you the green light to apply via UCAS, I'd tell them that you're currently holding an offer/place at a different university, which you'd have to decline in order to formally apply for the Clearing place at Royal Holloway. Then ask them how likely it is that when you did this, that the Clearing place would at Royal Holloway would fail to materialise.

Hopefully they'll tell you that as long as you have offer of a place verbally (over the phone) from them, and that you apply formally via UCAS with the next 24 hours (or whatever timeline they specify) then your place will be confirmed when you formally apply.

However, if they hesitate and say they'll need to review your application, and these things can take time, etc. then I'd be more skeptical.

alright, thank you so much! This really helped

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending