The Student Room Group

A levels at 17/18

Hi everyone. I’ll just cut to the chase: my situation is that I’m 17 and I was just dropped by my sixth form (amicably) due to me having some familial issues. I was doing 3 a levels whilst there but now I’m doing nothing. Im not going to keep doing nothing forever though, and I’ve taken the appropriate amount of time to sort my mind out, so I’m now fully prepared to get back into education, do 3 a levels and continue with university. The issue starts with me finding a place that won’t ask me to go away once I tell them my age (or at least how old I’ll be in sept 2022, which will be 18). Is there anywhere within the m25 (and surrey; i will make it work) that will realistically allow someone with my circumstances to complete 3 AL courses? I also would find it helpful if i wasn’t referred to places that would take me on the condition that i pay them 10s of thousands of pounds (which I don’t have) on the spot. Thank you all in advance, and I’ll consider all the advice I can get
hi - i joined 6th form a year out (went to college, dropped out and then went to 6th form - restarting year 12). Email every place you can think of!! Colleges that do a-levels will accept you and sixth forms are a bit more uncertain. Because I'm a summer baby (July) when I restarted I was 17 in that September but i've heard joining a 6th form at 18 can be harder. Colleges are your best chance but it doesn't hurt to ask a sixth form because you don't know what they'll say. I was turned down by everywhere but one place which is honestly the only reason I have a chance of going to vet school next year. Keep persevering - giving up isn't allowed.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by s.norman182
hi - i joined 6th form a year out (went to college, dropped out and then went to 6th form - restarting year 12). Email every place you can think of!! Colleges that do a-levels will accept you and sixth forms are a bit more uncertain. Because I'm a summer baby (July) when I restarted I was 17 in that September but i've heard joining a 6th form at 18 can be harder. Colleges are your best chance but it doesn't hurt to ask a sixth form because you don't know what they'll say. I was turned down by everywhere but one place which is honestly the only reason I have a chance of going to vet school next year. Keep persevering - giving up isn't allowed.

Thank you sm for responding to this. I will consider anywhere that will allow me to complete the courses I want just as long as they allow me to do so. The problem with that is that the colleges around my area aren’t particularly good ones (in my borough alone, 3/4 of them are at ‘Require Improvement’ stats on ofsted) and the ones nearby my borough are of a similar calibre. The sixth forms however are either good or outstanding in fact even beyond my borough I’ve yet to see one that isn’t of a good standard. That’s why I’m willing to go so far out of my area. I seriously, seriously do not mind how far i have to travel so long as I recieve what I travel for tbh. I don’t wanna pry but would you say your college was comparable to your sixth form? How helpful were your teachers in both?
Original post by j25_8
Thank you sm for responding to this. I will consider anywhere that will allow me to complete the courses I want just as long as they allow me to do so. The problem with that is that the colleges around my area aren’t particularly good ones (in my borough alone, 3/4 of them are at ‘Require Improvement’ stats on ofsted) and the ones nearby my borough are of a similar calibre. The sixth forms however are either good or outstanding in fact even beyond my borough I’ve yet to see one that isn’t of a good standard. That’s why I’m willing to go so far out of my area. I seriously, seriously do not mind how far i have to travel so long as I recieve what I travel for tbh. I don’t wanna pry but would you say your college was comparable to your sixth form? How helpful were your teachers in both?

'Requires Improvement' is the renamed 'satisfactory' - it is not a category of concern - that would be special measures.
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79
'Requires Improvement' is the renamed 'satisfactory' - it is not a category of concern - that would be special measures.

Fair enough, but it’s been a category of concern to me personally based on what I’ve seen each time I’ve read the detailed reports of the school they’ve left that remark on. In my experience they sound like places that frankly aren’t ideal to get your A levels at but here’s an example of what I’ve read of schools that have that ofsted rating which have lead me to be averse to applying to them: https://reports.ofsted.gov.uk/provider/31/130425

https://files.ofsted.gov.uk/v1/file/50051184
Original post by j25_8
Fair enough, but it’s been a category of concern to me personally based on what I’ve seen each time I’ve read the detailed reports of the school they’ve left that remark on. In my experience they sound like places that frankly aren’t ideal to get your A levels at but here’s an example of what I’ve read of schools that have that ofsted rating which have lead me to be averse to applying to them: https://reports.ofsted.gov.uk/provider/31/130425

https://files.ofsted.gov.uk/v1/file/50051184

The monitoring report is positive if you read that.

Also go on the DfE website and compare Sixth form progress. https://www.gov.uk/school-performance-tables

[If you PM me the rough geographical area then I can do this and PM the results]
Reply 6
Original post by Muttley79
The monitoring report is positive if you read that.

Also go on the DfE website and compare Sixth form progress. https://www.gov.uk/school-performance-tables

[If you PM me the rough geographical area then I can do this and PM the results]

Thank you very much for that website link mate. Super useful. I’ll use this to hopefully get in touch with some places
Original post by j25_8

I studied a BTEC at college so cannot really speak for them in terms of A-levels but you can most likely look at the pass rates for colleges you want to go to. My sixth form is outstanding and has really helped me get on track for a terrifyingly academic career. Teachers are lovely but that doesn't speak for all schools. As for travel, I drive about 30/40 minutes to my sixth form.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending