The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Getting into Warwick via an access course

I’m 17 & intend on doing an access course to progress on to university. I want to get into the finance industry (most likely accounting or financial management) and one of the the schools I have my eyes on is Warwick. Warwick (Business School) do say that they accept access to higher education courses on their website but I’m just making this post to see how that process has been for people who have gotten in or haven’t gotten in with an access course. I pretty much wanna know what I should do or look out for to improve my chances of being made an offer. Thank you
Original post by j25_8
I’m 17 & intend on doing an access course

Why?
Access courses are not designed those who can still go to 6th Form.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Original post by McGinger
Why?
Access courses are not designed those who can still go to 6th Form.

I’ve been pretty unsuccessful in trying to get into one. It would be ideal obviously and I do have the grades for it (B average grade, 7s highest) but most sixth forms are looking for someone who will be 16 or 17 at the start of their course. And I will be 18 in about 3 months.

But if you have any tips on how I could break into one, or have any names for me to try, please feel free to give them to me! Truthfully I did only make this post under the premise that I’d never be able to step into a sixth form again (amicably left my first one after my ASs due to personal issues) but if I could get into one more, I know I’d get the A level grades necessary to make me a stronger candidate
(edited 2 years ago)
Access courses are designed for people who have been out of study for a few years, so I agree at 17/18 you would be better off looking at AL’s, either as a private candidate or at a sixth form that will take you.

Whilst uni’s may state that they accept access courses, the reality is that they may not accept the specific one that you are looking at for ACCYFIN or whatever similar course you want elsewhere. The only way to be sure is to contact her Uni in question with specific details. Otherwise their websites tend to keep things vague. AL’s may keep more doors open.
Reply 4
Original post by Admit-One
Access courses are designed for people who have been out of study for a few years, so I agree at 17/18 you would be better off looking at AL’s, either as a private candidate or at a sixth form that will take you.

Whilst uni’s may state that they accept access courses, the reality is that they may not accept the specific one that you are looking at for ACCYFIN or whatever similar course you want elsewhere. The only way to be sure is to contact her Uni in question with specific details. Otherwise their websites tend to keep things vague. AL’s may keep more doors open.

Thank you vm. Warwick do explicitly say for the course I’m looking at (management bsc) that they can accept relevant access courses at a high enough grade. I would still much prefer to do A levels but my problem is that pretty much none of them want to enlist me because…I’m too old (that sounds crazy to say at 17)!

I also don’t have any money to pay to do them as a private candidate either. It costs upwards of thousands of pounds for the exams alone, let alone for the school terms which often come at a cost in the range of 20k+ for full time, in-person learning. Unless I can find a sixth form which can accept me without paying out the nose this way, I don’t think I’ll have a choice but do do an access course in business & accounting. Is there anywhere you could recommend me looking for a sixth form which will enlist someone my age?
Reply 5
Original post by j25_8
Thank you vm. Warwick do explicitly say for the course I’m looking at (management bsc) that they can accept relevant access courses at a high enough grade. I would still much prefer to do A levels but my problem is that pretty much none of them want to enlist me because…I’m too old (that sounds crazy to say at 17)!

I also don’t have any money to pay to do them as a private candidate either. It costs upwards of thousands of pounds for the exams alone, let alone for the school terms which often come at a cost in the range of 20k+ for full time, in-person learning. Unless I can find a sixth form which can accept me without paying out the nose this way, I don’t think I’ll have a choice but do do an access course in business & accounting. Is there anywhere you could recommend me looking for a sixth form which will enlist someone my age?

hey, just wondering what you ended up doing?

Quick Reply

Latest