The Student Room Group

i’m 17 can i still do a he access course?

hi i’m 17 and for personal reasons can’t go to in person sixth form and collage i was looking into he access courses but realised you can only apply if you’re 19 or over i was wondering if it’s possible to get around this or if there are other options?
Hi,
Each college has different rules in relation to Access courses, so you would need to enquire with the colleges you are interested to check what their requirements are.

Your age can affect funding as the Access courses are not free.

At my college they would let you start the course as long as you were 19 by the end of the course.
Original post by cursedshoto
hi i’m 17 and for personal reasons can’t go to in person sixth form and collage i was looking into he access courses but realised you can only apply if you’re 19 or over i was wondering if it’s possible to get around this or if there are other options?

I left sixth form/college at 17 and wanted to do online learning. I waiting until I was 18 and enrolled into the Open University to do a Certificate of Higher Education (equivalent of first year uni). Make sure to check the university you want to go to accepts this qualification first. I hope this helps😊
Reply 3
Original post by DAVE_CHUNKY
Hi,
Each college has different rules in relation to Access courses, so you would need to enquire with the colleges you are interested to check what their requirements are.
Your age can affect funding as the Access courses are not free.
At my college they would let you start the course as long as you were 19 by the end of the course.

Hi Dave please I would like to know which school that is, I'm 18 by May and would love to do the Access course.
Reply 4
Original post by cursedshoto

Hi I would like to know if you eventually got a college to do the access course at that age and the name of the college. Thank you
Access to HE programs are designed for 'mature' learners who are 19 plus, which is why you can get an advanced learner loan for them if you have used up your level 3 allocation. There is a quirk in the funding though which means you can enrol on the program at 18; however, most of the best providers do not allow this as there is a very high drop out rate of 18 year olds - it is effectively 3 a levels squashed into 1 year instead of 2.

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Reply 6
Original post by Arden University
Access to HE programs are designed for 'mature' learners who are 19 plus, which is why you can get an advanced learner loan for them if you have used up your level 3 allocation. There is a quirk in the funding though which means you can enrol on the program at 18; however, most of the best providers do not allow this as there is a very high drop out rate of 18 year olds - it is effectively 3 a levels squashed into 1 year instead of 2.
Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador

Hello, I have one question as well. I will turn 19 on September 1 which is after August 31 which most colleges expect you to turn 19. Am i still able to learn access to medicine course in college because some colleges refuse to accept me, they said to be able to them to accept me, I must be 19 on August 31 and before. I am currently living in London. Anyone who knows please reply me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending