The Student Room Group

Moving into the UK : Questions about Sixth Form College

I'm planning to move into the UK in the coming months. I'm 17, so it'll be straight up sixth form for me. What's school life like here?
How would you suggest I find friends (taking note that i have strict asian parents haha) How do i get to know people? How do I catch up with the syllabuses? I'm brown, is there any serious racism involved in schools? any bullying? Do people really date and party all that much as mentioned in books? Any homophobia? idk... the questions are endless. Would be lovely if any of you could help me out on this matter <3
Reply 1
Original post by SinaliB
I'm planning to move into the UK in the coming months. I'm 17, so it'll be straight up sixth form for me. What's school life like here?
How would you suggest I find friends (taking note that i have strict asian parents haha) How do i get to know people? How do I catch up with the syllabuses? I'm brown, is there any serious racism involved in schools? any bullying? Do people really date and party all that much as mentioned in books? Any homophobia? idk... the questions are endless. Would be lovely if any of you could help me out on this matter <3

When are you 18? Normally students are 16 when thy start at college. Do you have the equivalent of our GCSEs?
Original post by Muttley79
When are you 18? Normally students are 16 when thy start at college. Do you have the equivalent of our GCSEs?

i'm 18 next year June... in our country we complete GCSE by 16+ and start ALs by 17... and yes i do have an equivalent of GCSE
Reply 3
Original post by SinaliB
i'm 18 next year June... in our country we complete GCSE by 16+ and start ALs by 17... and yes i do have an equivalent of GCSE

So have you started A levels? Normally you'd take them here next summer after two years study - in England A levels are linear.
Original post by Muttley79
So have you started A levels? Normally you'd take them here next summer after two years study - in England A levels are linear.

i'm aware of that : ))) i just want a general overview how school life might be different here.
Reply 5
Original post by SinaliB
i'm aware of that : ))) i just want a general overview how school life might be different here.

Why might it be different - it will depend on 'roughly' where you are moving to. School or college? State or private?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending