The Student Room Group

Official Veterinary Medicine Applicants thread 2024 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anna.joy.charles)Feel free to introduce yourselves everyone! I'm a year 12 student doing biology, chemistry, maths and an EPQ. I'll be applying for the d100 5 year vet med course.
Work experience wise, I have a placement at an equine vets next week, lambing in Easter holidays, small animal vets in July and I volunteer at a mixed animal rescue for 3 hours every Saturday.
Hi I saw you got work experience at an equine vets was wondering whether it is an ambulatory practice or at a set hospital? I only ask as I've asked a few for work experience but wasn't allowed due to insurance reasons and was presuming this was down to them being ambulatory. so thought I'd ask to see whether it was worth emailing
more
:smile:
Original post by Kat_jan17
Hi all, switching to this thread as I have received 4/4 rejections for 2023 entry, so I’m taking a gap year and reapplying for 2024 entry. I’m currently a year 13 A-Level student studying biology, chemistry and maths, and I did an EPQ in year 12 (A*) and I’m predicted A*AA.
In terms of work experience: I have 2 weeks clinical practice, 8 weeks at a small farm, I did some online experience too, and I occasionally volunteer with the RSPCA

Hi Kat- joining the thread too as my daughter has received 3 out of 4 rejections. She has an interview for UCLan in mid March but kind of resigned to having to take a gap year and reapply. She applied to Liverpool, Bristol, Nottingham and UCLan this year but would avoid any with SJTs next year so no Notts or Surrey.
Original post by Amelia.2006
Original post by Anna.joy.charles)Feel free to introduce yourselves everyone! I'm a year 12 student doing biology, chemistry, maths and an EPQ. I'll be applying for the d100 5 year vet med course.
Work experience wise, I have a placement at an equine vets next week, lambing in Easter holidays, small animal vets in July and I volunteer at a mixed animal rescue for 3 hours every Saturday.
Hi I saw you got work experience at an equine vets was wondering whether it is an ambulatory practice or at a set hospital? I only ask as I've asked a few for work experience but wasn't allowed due to insurance reasons and was presuming this was down to them being ambulatory. so thought I'd ask to see whether it was worth emailing
more
:smile:

Hi! It was an equine hospital- there was a diagnostic centre and hospital. They had an ambulatory team too but they were based 10 minutes away in the main town. I was only offered experience at the main equine hospital but if you asked you could probably go with the Ambo team too!
For anyone interested, I did my equine placement at Rossdales- they do get booked up quickly though, I booked last August.
Hi all, switching to this thread as I have received 4/4 rejections for 2023 entry, so I’m taking a gap year and reapplying for 2024 entry. I’m currently a year 13 A-Level student studying biology, chemistry and maths, and I did an EPQ in year 12 (A*) and I’m predicted A*AA.
In terms of work experience: I have 2 weeks clinical practice, 8 weeks at a small farm, I did some online experience too, and I occasionally volunteer with the RSPCA

Hi, I am also switching threads over as I did not get in this year again, hope fully third times a charm. I got AAA in bio,chem, maths and have 4 weeks clinical practice, 4 to 5 weeks with a dog day care, and bit more than half a week with a riding school as well as 1 to 2 weeks with a horse sanctuary. What unis did you apply to and which ones are you applying to this year?
I am having doubts about being a vet at the moment so not sure if I will end up applying but the work experience I have (I’m in year 12)
- 1 week farm
-1 week small animal clinic
-0.5 weeks small animal clinic
-2 weeks stables
-1 week lambing
-0.6 weeks Turkey farm

And if I pursue applying to be a vet then I would do at least another week (one of which in another clinic but probs small animal as I can’t find any other that will accept me )
Original post by Milliewest2
I am having doubts about being a vet at the moment so not sure if I will end up applying but the work experience I have (I’m in year 12)
- 1 week farm
-1 week small animal clinic
-0.5 weeks small animal clinic
-2 weeks stables
-1 week lambing
-0.6 weeks Turkey farm

And if I pursue applying to be a vet then I would do at least another week (one of which in another clinic but probs small animal as I can’t find any other that will accept me )

That’s a completely understandable feeling. I’m a current vet student who has had lots of doubts so let me know if you want a chat or have any questions!
Original post by Qldjdj
I’m applying for 2024 too! How much work experience are you guys planning to do? Any international applicant here? :smile:

Hi I’m a current vet student.

I did:
1 week small animal vet
1 week equine vet
1 week lambing
Equivalent of 1 week cats protection (4h every day morning)
Every day morning at a farm park for 6 months
1 week at another farm park
1 week at another farm park
3 days animal testing lab
1 day at bristol abattoir

Have a look at requirements and pick the university that has the most and then make sure you hit that so you should be covered for other unis (do double check to be sure)
Original post by will090909
Hi, I am also switching threads over as I did not get in this year again, hope fully third times a charm. I got AAA in bio,chem, maths and have 4 weeks clinical practice, 4 to 5 weeks with a dog day care, and bit more than half a week with a riding school as well as 1 to 2 weeks with a horse sanctuary. What unis did you apply to and which ones are you applying to this year?

I applied to Cambridge, Edinburgh, Liverpool and UCLan. Got rejected by Camb and Edi pre-interview, and rejected from the others post-interview. I have an offer from Liverpool to study MBIOLSCI Bioveterinary Science, but I’m choosing to take a gap year instead of taking my ‘back-up’ choice. Definitely going to apply to Liverpool again as I love the city and the uni itself, was gutted I didn’t get in this year. I’m thinking of applying to HK and Surrey too but I’m not sure where else.
I’m hoping to go look round more vet schools once I’ve finished my exams (23rd June 😆) so I can choose better this time 😅
I applied to Cambridge, Edinburgh, Liverpool and UCLan. Got rejected by Camb and Edi pre-interview, and rejected from the others post-interview. I have an offer from Liverpool to study MBIOLSCI Bioveterinary Science, but I’m choosing to take a gap year instead of taking my ‘back-up’ choice. Definitely going to apply to Liverpool again as I love the city and the uni itself, was gutted I didn’t get in this year. I’m thinking of applying to HK and Surrey too but I’m not sure where else.
I’m hoping to go look round more vet schools once I’ve finished my exams (23rd June 😆) so I can choose better this time 😅

I applied to surrey last year, with the interview it is very weird I don't know if they have changed it, but it was a pre recorded questions you were talking to a computer for it, but the questions were very bizarre and not really something that you could prepare for so it really through me off I believe one of the question was, they showed you a picture asked you to describe it and say what it reminds you off. So keep that in mind but hopefully they changed it. What was the reason you applied to Uclan, I live on the outskirts of Preston and for me Preston is an absolute **** hole so it was not even one of my choices last year, but I did not go to the open days so It might be really good.
Original post by will090909
I applied to surrey last year, with the interview it is very weird I don't know if they have changed it, but it was a pre recorded questions you were talking to a computer for it, but the questions were very bizarre and not really something that you could prepare for so it really through me off I believe one of the question was, they showed you a picture asked you to describe it and say what it reminds you off. So keep that in mind but hopefully they changed it. What was the reason you applied to Uclan, I live on the outskirts of Preston and for me Preston is an absolute **** hole so it was not even one of my choices last year, but I did not go to the open days so It might be really good.

I live about 30 minutes away from Preston and initially didn’t like the idea of applying here as I didn’t want to live so close to home. I looked round on their open day and really enjoyed the uni itself, although I’m not the greatest fan of the city. Had I known the issues I had whilst applying, I definitely wouldn’t have applied, and would’ve applied to Notts - like I was going to do.
I heard quite a few people saying they hated the style of the Surrey interviews, so I’ll definitely do more research into the style of interviews before selecting schools next year.

Where did you apply?
I live about 30 minutes away from Preston and initially didn’t like the idea of applying here as I didn’t want to live so close to home. I looked round on their open day and really enjoyed the uni itself, although I’m not the greatest fan of the city. Had I known the issues I had whilst applying, I definitely wouldn’t have applied, and would’ve applied to Notts - like I was going to do.
I heard quite a few people saying they hated the style of the Surrey interviews, so I’ll definitely do more research into the style of interviews before selecting schools next year.

Where did you apply?

First year I applied to liverpool, edingbruh, bristol an nottigham, I did not get an intervew for any, 2nd time I applied to bristol,liverpool,surry and nottigham, I got interviews for all except bristol as they don't interview you, but ultimatley got rejected by all. This year I will apply to Uclan and bristol maybe nottigham again and maybe harper and keele.
Original post by Anna.joy.charles
Feel free to introduce yourselves everyone! I'm a year 12 student doing biology, chemistry, maths and an EPQ. I'll be applying for the d100 5 year vet med course.

I'm quite keen to get some work experience at a dairy farm as I don't really have much experience of cows and feel I have a gap in large animal experience barring horses. If anyone has any recommendations of finding farms please let me know! Or if anyone knows of farms in Kent/Surrey/Sussex that are willing to have me for wex please message me!
Reply 52
If anyone is looking for lambing experience
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7321985
Original post by Anna.joy.charles
I'm quite keen to get some work experience at a dairy farm as I don't really have much experience of cows and feel I have a gap in large animal experience barring horses. If anyone has any recommendations of finding farms please let me know! Or if anyone knows of farms in Kent/Surrey/Sussex that are willing to have me for wex please message me!

I’ve just had a look through my emails and through the notts student placement portal. I was only able to find one place called Chevening home farm which is in Kent. There’s many placements that offer caravan accomodation (self catered) if that would be of interest to you
(edited 1 year ago)
Just wanted to pop up and say hi. I’m a current Nottingham April vet so if anyone needs any help let me know!
In case y’all haven’t seen me around yet I’m a second year at Liverpool and happy to answer any questions :smile:
Hi! I'm a first year at Surrey, feel free to message me if you have any questions!

hi everyone:smile: also switching haha im in y13 now and I have got 3/4 rejections and on hold for rvc so probably will be taking a gap year and reapplying this October for 2024 entry. I'm predicted A*AA in maths, bio and chem. I have got work experience in a cattery, an equestrian centre, a kennel and cattery, a farm park, and in SA vets, and online as well, and I will be doing lambing, horse and vets again before the October deadline
Original post by flamingolover
Just wanted to pop up and say hi. I’m a current Nottingham April vet so if anyone needs any help let me know!

Do you have any tips for the interview, I have had 2 interviews and both time have been rejected so any help would be great.
do you have any tips on the sjt? got rejected by Nottingham because my score wasn't high enough but I don't really know where went wrong
Original post by flamingolover

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending