The Student Room Group

University is 4 years in Scotland??

So if I apply to university in Scotland then I study 4 years until graduation?? And if I apply in England it’s just 3 years?

Do they let u do the full 4 years in Scotland if u r from England or do they let u skip the first year??
Original post by Anonymous
So if I apply to university in Scotland then I study 4 years until graduation?? And if I apply in England it’s just 3 years?

Do they let u do the full 4 years in Scotland if u r from England or do they let u skip the first year??

Yes, undergraduate degrees in Scotland are 4 year courses, whilst in England they are 3 years. It's because in the Scottish system you can do more modules in the first few years that aren't related to your degree. So for example you can pick another subject to do in the first year alongside your chosen degree subject, whilst in England you just do one subject.
Most English people in Scotland will do the normal 4 year course, but for some courses you can apply for direct entry into the 2nd year if you have outstanding grades. It's not very common though.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous

It’s because the Scottish system allows students to leave school and go to Uni with just AS level equivalents. So the first year of Scottish Uni is equivalent to Year 13 in England and Wales. So if you have decent A levels, you can usually join in year 2 and graduate from your degree in 3 years in Scotland.

Quick Reply

Latest