The Student Room Group
Original post by Leahsmyth00
Hi everyone
The SHEIN brand gives off the idea that their clothing is high quality and produced in an ethical manner. What are your opinions if you have shopped with the company??

Never shopped, never will https://www.google.com/search?q=shein+modern+slavery&oq=SHEIN+modern&aqs=chrome.0.0i512j69i57j0i10i22i30j0i22i30l7.2609j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&safe=active&ssui=on
Could you explain your reasons in more detail please?

I feel child labour and forced modern slavery to produce clothes doesn't really need an explanation. I also dislike fast fashion for its damage on the environment. I'm not perfect in where I shop, I shopped at primark for a long time until I learnt what they did, I moved to matalan, which after a check done by parliament, showed no signs of modern slavery.

"In the one factory used by Matalan, it was found that there were no instances of forced labour. All workers have been confirmed as permanent, from the local area and are allowed to come and go freely using a standard clock card system."

It's more expensive, sure, but it's worth it.
Reply 4
Original post by CatInTheCorner
I feel child labour and forced modern slavery to produce clothes doesn't really need an explanation. I also dislike fast fashion for its damage on the environment. I'm not perfect in where I shop, I shopped at primark for a long time until I learnt what they did, I moved to matalan, which after a check done by parliament, showed no signs of modern slavery.

"In the one factory used by Matalan, it was found that there were no instances of forced labour. All workers have been confirmed as permanent, from the local area and are allowed to come and go freely using a standard clock card system."

It's more expensive, sure, but it's worth it.

I appreciate your answer, this is for a research project!
I sometimes buy dresses from Shein.
They often offer the option of interest-free payment plans in association with Klarna.

The dresses usually photograph well and look good.
But have a limited lifespan and are very unlikely to survive being worn for more than 8-10 months or last beyond 5-6 dry cleans.
The sizings can be a bit off and frequently does not correspond to the measurements on the website.
Female dress sizes 6 and 8 are usually quite a bit smaller & have a very tight fit, even when worn by women who usually wear a size 2 or 4.
While some of the size 10 garments can be quite a loose fit and comfortably worn by taller women who usually wear a size 12-14.
For those with sensitive skin or moderate acute asthma, all Shein garments need to be washed and left to air for at least 48rs before being worn.
Reply 6
Original post by londonmyst
I sometimes buy dresses from Shein.
They often offer the option of interest-free payment plans in association with Klarna.

The dresses usually photograph well and look good.
But have a limited lifespan and are very unlikely to survive being worn for more than 8-10 months or last beyond 5-6 dry cleans.
The sizings can be a bit off and frequently does not correspond to the measurements on the website.
Female dress sizes 6 and 8 are usually quite a bit smaller & have a very tight fit, even when worn by women who usually wear a size 2 or 4.
While some of the size 10 garments can be quite a loose fit and comfortably worn by taller women who usually wear a size 12-14.
For those with sensitive skin or moderate acute asthma, all Shein garments need to be washed and left to air for at least 48rs before being worn.

Thank you for your reply. Are you bothered by the ethical issues surrounding the company?
Thank you for your reply. Are you bothered by the ethical issues surrounding the company?

No.
Reply 8
Original post by londonmyst
No.

How come? They have been outed multiple times for using child labour and exploiting their workers. Why would anyone want to support a brand that does this?
How come? They have been outed multiple times for using child labour and exploiting their workers. Why would anyone want to support a brand that does this?

I can't imagine. I'm nowhere near perfect in how I shop, but I'm always suspicious of low prices and fast fashion. Imagine being a child forced to work, not only to work, but in substandard and often dangerous conditions for not much money, and being forced to return to feed your family who are likely also similarly exploited. The terror and hopelessness must be overwhelming, it's awful that it happens.
Hi everyone
The SHEIN brand gives off the idea that their clothing is high quality and produced in an ethical manner. What are your opinions if you have shopped with the company??

Do you work for Shein or something??? I can't see why anyone would think Shein is high quality and produced in an ethical manner. No clothing that cheap can be high quality or ethically made.
Original post by StrawbFrog420
Do you work for Shein or something??? I can't see why anyone would think Shein is high quality and produced in an ethical manner. No clothing that cheap can be high quality or ethically made.

No definitely not😂 I’m working on a research project which compares consumer beliefs against the image brands portray through their social media advertising

I also didn’t say that they work in an ethical manner. I said that that’s what they want their consumer to believe
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by CatInTheCorner
I can't imagine. I'm nowhere near perfect in how I shop, but I'm always suspicious of low prices and fast fashion. Imagine being a child forced to work, not only to work, but in substandard and often dangerous conditions for not much money, and being forced to return to feed your family who are likely also similarly exploited. The terror and hopelessness must be overwhelming, it's awful that it happens.

I totally agree with you. My opinion would be the exact same!
How come? They have been outed multiple times for using child labour and exploiting their workers.
Why would anyone want to support a brand that does this?

My focus when shopping for myself & buying gifts for friends is primarily upon: the customer service, prices, convenience, product quality and transit standards.
I am a customer of: Addison Lee, Ahava, Amazon, Hatov Hashachar, Harrods, Kadem, Lafitte, McDonald's, Rougie, SodaStream and UberEats.

Some of my friends work for Shein's parent company Zoetop, within their subsidiary operations or in the factories of a supplier partner.
I work on zero hours contracts and have my own small business.
I was working long before I was a teenager, so that I would be able to build up sufficient funds to support myself.
I have no objection to children choosing to volunteer or seek paid employment.

Because not everyone can afford to shop at other places. Fast fashion is an issue, yes, but consider those who genuinely can't afford to shop anywhere other than Primark, Shein etc regardless of their non-ethical practices. Sure, people who spend £200 a month on clothes they'll wear once and then chuck out are part of the problem ('influencers' have a lot to answer for in that regard) but some of us can get a good amount of wear out of similar items. Fast fashion is ultimately an issue to be solved by the companies, not the consumer.
(edited 2 years ago)
Hi everyone

i dont trust it they will scam you.
Hi everyone

I don't think there is a lot of information if the clothes are produced ethically and that the workers are well paid. but I doubt it's ethical there's a lot of things wrong with shein.. like a lot of the clothes people buy end up in landfills or on depop, the clothes are super cheap is probably because workers are not paid enough. I will understand if you shop there some people don't have the luxury to buy from companies that don't have these kinds of issues and the most of their items are so cheap
Hi everyone

I agree with others. Shein is mordern slavery. Look up. - "uyghur labor camps in china"
They employee child labors and labors from North Korea for making garments and the raw material comes from uyghur labor camps - horrible!
I think some of the clothes look good however the quality I don't think is very good. The clothes aren't made to last as the quality isn't there.
Hi everyone

Never bought. For two good reasons: the brand exploits workers in China and as the clothes are made of synthetic materials, they pollute the environment when they are outsourced.

Latest