The Student Room Group

Never got a single christmas gift

As a 15-year-old with Indian Christian parents, I have never received a Christmas gift. Despite our financial stability, my parents are unaware of this widely-celebrated tradition. i love my parents but I don't ask them a thing over 5 quid.
I don't receive any allowance or money from anyone to buy makeup or skincare products. How should I ask my parents to buy me some clothes from Shein or any makeup or jewelry? For more context, I am not allowed to wear clothes that reveal my body in any way, including sleeveless tops.
I am not allowed to be in any kind of relationship or have male friends. I am also not allowed to wear heavy makeup, including lipstick. Moreover, I act as a translator for my parents in various situations such as phone calls, dealing with government issues, taxes, and medical consultations. Although my parents can speak English, people often find it difficult to understand them due to their accent.
my friends ask what i got for Christmas all the time.I am so sick and tired of saying i didn't get anything at all and the fact that i want to ask my parents make me feel that i am spoiled/
i feel guilty for even asking anything from Poundland.
I am a Christian too , if that helps.

GIVE ADVICE PLEASE
Reply 1
Your situation sounds tough. I don't think that feeling disappointed about not receiving a single gift at Christmas makes you spoilt.

Assuming you live in the UK, I'm a bit confused about how your parents are "unaware" of gift-giving at Christmas, especially as Christians? Does your family celebrate or have any Christmas traditions at all, or do you just go to church?

I'm not sure what else you could do apart from talking to your parents directly about this. Maybe you could frame it as wanting to take part in more Christmas traditions as a family, especially considering your religious background.

I don't know your situation, but maybe you could consider talking to your parents about getting a part-time job when you turn 16, so that you can have a bit of an income and gain some independence.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by MJ1148
Your situation sounds tough. I don't think that feeling disappointed about not receiving a single gift at Christmas makes you spoilt.

Assuming you live in the UK, I'm a bit confused about how your parents are "unaware" of gift-giving at Christmas, especially as Christians? Does your family celebrate or have any Christmas traditions at all, or do you just go to church?

I'm not sure what else you could do apart from talking to your parents directly about this. Maybe you could frame it as wanting to take part in more Christmas traditions as a family, especially considering your religious background.

I don't know your situation, but maybe you could consider talking to your parents about getting a part-time job when you turn 16, so that you can have a bit of an income and gain some independence.

i dont think they know about it , yes I live in uk

usually in India we invite a bunch of people over and treat them with like a massive spread of great food , spent time , go to somewhere tc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending