The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Should I take a gap year?

So results day happened as we all know, and I got better grades than expected (AAB). I was excited to get into the University of Reading for computer science, especially since I live here and it's a huge saving on accommodation and food etc. However, I recently checked online and turns out I missed an amazing opportunity to study at Nottingham with the same grades I had through clearing. I could take a gap year and reapply to better universities, or just continue with my course. What should I do?

I was also wondering maybe I shouldn't because what if the offer was so low only because of the high grade boundaries this year had.
I just dont know what to do, UoR isn't ranked very high for computer science, and my grades arent immensely great that they'll take me to Warwick or something, but the fact that I missed the chance in clearing to upgrade my university is really haunting me.

Some guidance on this would really help me, I've been losing sleep over this.
Reply 1
If your grades don't match the grade requirements on the website then its best not to take a gap year.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
I was in similar situation. Got my A levels. Went on Gap year because i didn't know what to do. Did an Access to Higher Education Course in Computing, applied for Computer Science with Queen Mary as my firm. Got the grades and received an offer but stupidly i should have but University of Nottingham as my firm and Queen Mary as insurance since Nottingham had higher requirements. Nottingham is better for Computer Science so i dropped out and reapplied, and now i will be going to study Computer Science at Nottingham this year.

To get into Nottingham now, the only way would be through doing another qualification or resit. You could resit and apply for Nottingham and Reading and if you don't get the grades you could go back to Reading due to the previous A level grades you have already achieved? I think you can do that.

Another option is to see if your local college does an Access to Higher Education Course. They take one year to complete and the University of Nottingham accepts them as shown here https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/applying/access-btec-entryrequirements.aspx .

Obviously it's not ideal to do another qualification to get into University but it depends how much you want to go to Nottingham as well as how satisfied you would be at Reading. I can tell you it's better to study Computer Science at Nottingham than Reading but you can compensate that by doing loads of internships and making interesting projects.You are already in a great situation of course, Computer Science is an amazing subject to study with great prospects and salary. It's natural to think can i be in an even better situation. It will be more stress for you as well as risky if you don't get the grades if you do want to get into Nottingham, but the rewards would better, but how much, i do not know.

If i were personally in your situation, i would stick with your offer. It will save you time and stress. I'd only advise reapplying if you had the grades to get into Nottingham.
I wish you the best of luck and Congratulations for getting an offer for Computer Science at Reading.

Original post by Real_Guy
So results day happened as we all know, and I got better grades than expected (AAB). I was excited to get into the University of Reading for computer science, especially since I live here and it's a huge saving on accommodation and food etc. However, I recently checked online and turns out I missed an amazing opportunity to study at Nottingham with the same grades I had through clearing. I could take a gap year and reapply to better universities, or just continue with my course. What should I do?

I was also wondering maybe I shouldn't because what if the offer was so low only because of the high grade boundaries this year had.
I just dont know what to do, UoR isn't ranked very high for computer science, and my grades arent immensely great that they'll take me to Warwick or something, but the fact that I missed the chance in clearing to upgrade my university is really haunting me.

Original post by Real_Guy

Hey @Real_Guy,
I know I just replied to your post on the UoR thread, but I thought I'd just jump in here too. @Dre4de has definitely offered some good food for thought in terms of Access to HE courses, but I'd like to point out again that employers look at much more than just the uni you went to when hiring new employees, and you definitely shouldn't have to take the extra time to complete this course with the grades you've received unless you really want to! You're going to give yourself many more opportunities if you choose a course with modules that you enjoy, that offers great work experience and placement programmes, and extra opportunities offered - here at Reading we have the RED Awards, THRIVE mentoring to match you with an expert in your field of interest, and a variety of study support sessions, skills and study spaces to help you make the best of your degree.

Please try not to overwhelm yourself with 'what-ifs' - look at the opportunities and modules available to you at both universities, talk to friends and family, and take a little while to decide - you don't have to do anything right this second. And the course you choose will not define your entire career path, but it can define which opportunities are open to you, and the university experience you receive both in terms of course and wider student experience.

If you have any questions about this response or the one I left on our thread, please let me know :smile:
Kat
BA History Graduate

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending