The Student Room Group
Is the question really just those three words: Is punishment fair?

It's not asking whether a particular punishment is fair within a particular context? It's just asking whether punishment is fair as a concept.

How bizarre. I don't envy you that task!
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Is the question really just those three words: Is punishment fair?

It's not asking whether a particular punishment is fair within a particular context? It's just asking whether punishment is fair as a concept.

How bizarre. I don't envy you that task!

well the course im doing is criminology so im pretty sure it needs to relate to the criminal justice system
it depends
Original post by a.viibe
well the course im doing is criminology so im pretty sure it needs to relate to the criminal justice system

maybe go over lecture notes with the question in mind and think for certain case examples if punihsment was/ wasnt far

argue both sides for 30 seconds and see which one you side with

hope this helps im not doing the same subject but it's how i answer debating essays lol
Original post by a.viibe
I have an assignment for uni which asks "Is punishment fair" and I need help to argue fair and unfair please!

In what a context, if I may ask? hard to work out points, if it is asked generally.
Reply 6
Original post by Kallisto
In what a context, if I may ask? hard to work out points, if it is asked generally.

criminological point of view!
Moved to humanities
Original post by a.viibe
criminological point of view!

Still hard to come to a point. Punishment as part of criminology - and law - is at least a controversial matter. A fair punishment is always in the eye of the beholder. People have their own views about punishments, in hard cases in particular. Hence punishment can be regarded as fair, if the affected people accept it. From a murderer who is sentenced to death to bankers who peculate money and got a verdict of no guilty due to a lack of evidence, people think always different about punishments.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by a.viibe
Course: criminology
I have an assignment for uni which asks "Is punishment fair" and I need help to argue fair and unfair please!

No, I don't believe in free will, so my argument would very loosely go like this
We are all the products of our environment
Some are brought up in an environment which would lead to them becoming more aggressive (extreme poverty in a rough area/abusive parents/poor mental health)
So when they do something aggressive, they shouldn't be punished because it's not their fault, they should instead be looked after and introduced to a peaceful environment that allows them to develop as a person and learn what is good and bad.
Reply 10
I would approach this by looking at the various criminology philosophies of punishment for example retribution, incapacitation, rehabilitation, deterrence, and restoration and the purposes they play. So after knowing the philosophies you will be able to know what purpose they serve when it comes to punishment. You can HMU for more information. I love criminology. I hope this helps!
Reply 11
Original post by a.viibe
Course: criminology

I would approach this by looking at the various criminology philosophies of punishment for example retribution, incapacitation, rehabilitation, deterrence, and restoration and the purposes they play. So after knowing the philosophies you will be able to know what purpose they serve when it comes to punishment. You can HMU for more information. I love criminology. I hope this helps!
Original post by Anholm
No, I don't believe in free will, so my argument would very loosely go like this
We are all the products of our environment
Some are brought up in an environment which would lead to them becoming more aggressive (extreme poverty in a rough area/abusive parents/poor mental health)
So when they do something aggressive, they shouldn't be punished because it's not their fault, they should instead be looked after and introduced to a peaceful environment that allows them to develop as a person and learn what is good and bad.

Very Humean!
Exactly it depends to person t person and also on the situation

Latest

Trending

Trending