The Student Room Group

Thoughts on my choices for an Advertising course in starting 2009

Hi,

I was wondering if any users could help me regarding my choices for university. Currently I’m interested in studying at these universities, following these courses:

Thames Valley University - Creative Advertising (with Electives)
Southampton Solent University Advertising
Edge Hill University Media (Advertising)
Buckinghamshire New University - Advertising: Creative
University of the Arts London Creative Advertising Strategy
Nottingham Trent University Media (with pathways in Communications, Creative Industries, Film and TV, Journalism Studies, Media Practices and Popular Culture)

Would anyone recommend these universities/courses in question? And am I looking at the best universities regarding advertising?

Any responses would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply 1
wouldnt mind knowing this myself, currently studying advertising at UEL and at the moment im swaying towards creative advertising structure at london school of arts, im actually going to have a look around on wensday if you want me to post my feedback ive got no problem doing that. Any uestions you want asked at all bud?
Reply 2
crimson day
wouldnt mind knowing this myself, currently studying advertising at UEL and at the moment im swaying towards creative advertising structure at london school of arts, im actually going to have a look around on wensday if you want me to post my feedback ive got no problem doing that. Any uestions you want asked at all bud?

Sorry about the late reply, it seemed like no one could help me so i just gave up. Did you end up visiting London School of Arts in the end? If you did, would you recommend it? I Missed the open day for that one :frown:

Just to let you know, I wouldn’t recommend Buckinghamshire New University in case you were considering it at all. I went to the open day and it was just dreadful.
Reply 3
mvenner02
Sorry about the late reply, it seemed like no one could help me so i just gave up. Did you end up visiting London School of Arts in the end? If you did, would you recommend it? I Missed the open day for that one :frown:

Just to let you know, I wouldn’t recommend Buckinghamshire New University in case you were considering it at all. I went to the open day and it was just dreadful.

Hi, yes i did go in the end and it was truly unreal, for a course about advertising they didnt advertise themself well AT ALL. Funny to hear you mention bucks as that was a course/school the 'proffesor' (if you can call her that) said was exelent aswel.

The building itself was falling to bit and was dam right awful once you got past the first 2 floors (which where quite nice and had a good feel to them) the next 20 odd floors :O reminded me of an old run down hospital.

It was scary the fact that she didnt seem to know the answers to simplist advertising questions i was asking her questions about industry links and the way the markets going in the current climate and she didnt have a clue. I knew answers to alot of questions she could'nt comprehend and ive only been studying advertising for a few months now. Nothing about accomodation was mentioned and supprise supprise she didnt know either. Was really expecting to like it there course content was exelent and loved the programme just thought the teaching was awful, my sixth form lesson had nicer rooms and the building is right next to a MAIN!!!!! road. Cant stress that enough its a cross section of like 5 roads.

sorry if that dissapoints you but i was not impressed at all, shame to hear about bucks though will have to reconsider applying there.

My suggestion would be Nottingham trent. Media with pathway in creative industries (Advertising,marketing and PR) looks a cracking course.:woo:

hope this helps
Reply 4
Wow, that does sound bad. Thanks for all the information, you’ve been really helpful, I won’t even bother going to an open day at University of the Arts London, it just sounds like a complete waste of time.

Hopefully I can get booked into an open day next year for Nottingham Trent University, I liked that course as soon as I saw it on the web :smile:

Well best of luck mate, you’ve been really helpful and I hope you get the placement you’re looking for at university.
Reply 5
Oh my god!

I added University of the Arts London to study Marketing and Advertising there in 2009. After reading this it has made me change my mind, i heard about the area being bad and the road looks busy when checked on Google Maps, its close to a busy junction and round-a-bout.

Im stuck choosing a 5th option, at the moment i have 4; De Montfort Uni, Uni of Northampton, Middlesex University and Nottingham Trent.

:confused:

Latest

Trending

Trending