The Student Room Group

xx

xx
(edited 1 year ago)
Have you been to the open days or visited the cities before? Which did you prefer?

Is there a ranking for criminology like there is for law to give you an idea of best courses? Is there anything specific you like on one course that isn’t offered on others?

How far are they all from your home? Easy to travel to?

Sorry lots of questions but a good way to filter down.

Congratulations on getting 5 offers!
Oh right! Quite a way then! I’d maybe say Southampton and Portsmouth then. Southampton is a good University and has an airport which might make things a bit easier too for getting home.

Have a look at the courses and online campus tours on their websites to get a feel for them.

Ps sorry to hear about your mum, hope she’s ok.
Reply 4
Original post by BarryScott2022
Oh right! Quite a way then! I’d maybe say Southampton and Portsmouth then. Southampton is a good University and has an airport which might make things a bit easier too for getting home.

Have a look at the courses and online campus tours on their websites to get a feel for them.

Ps sorry to hear about your mum, hope she’s ok.

Thank you she’s okay she’s currently in hospital but unfortunately they discovered a brain tumour also! I might not be able to afford uni anymore because I might have to get a job to pay for her medical bills.

Thank you for you’re advice and hopefully I’m able to come to the uk!
Original post by HollyA654
Thank you she’s okay she’s currently in hospital but unfortunately they discovered a brain tumour also! I might not be able to afford uni anymore because I might have to get a job to pay for her medical bills.

Here is a list of the crime stats for all universities. Most people never suffer crime here and it is considerably safer tan the US. I am fairly old and have visited the states on 7 occasions and we dont generally have the same problems. Once in Nashville I was speaking to one of your police and he told me he couldnt understand why our police dont carry guns. 2 of his colleagues in a 1/2 million city had been shot and that was typical. It is a rare event for our police to get killed.

If crime is a worry you could reject your current choices and apply to a safer place through ucas extra but the likelyhood is you wont encounter crime here especially outside the major cities#

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=4b98488aea7e1bfbca43a4745e76560973a0d0e9ba9e727eda734e081a5daf21JmltdHM9MTY1MDU3MDcwMyZpZ3VpZD03ZDBiNDM2My04NjkwLTQxODItYTQyMS0wNmJhYmE0MmI3ZDYmaW5zaWQ9NTE3MQ&ptn=3&fclid=77e5ccc0-c1ac-11ec-bdc7-c111a6306191&u=a1aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cudGhlY29tcGxldGV1bml2ZXJzaXR5Z3VpZGUuY28udWsvc3R1ZGVudC1hZHZpY2Uvd2hlcmUtdG8tc3R1ZHkvY3JpbWUtcmF0ZXMtaW4tdW5pdmVyc2l0eS1jaXRpZXMtYW5kLXRvd25zP21zY2xraWQ9NzdlNWNjYzBjMWFjMTFlY2JkYzdjMTExYTYzMDYxOTE&ntb=1

Oh my. I’m so sorry to hear that. I really hope she recovers and you eventually get to follow your Uni dream.
Reply 7
Thank you so much for your help!
I have had all 5 offers to do criminology at uni from :
Portsmouth
Leicester
Bournemouth
Southampton (criminology and also criminology with psychology)

But I have no idea which to choose so does anyone have any suggestions?

Hi! @HollyA654

I'm currently studying for my masters in Intelligence and International Criminal Justice and studied criminology with criminal justice for my undergrad at Portsmouth.

At Portsmouth, the academic support team are really helpful. There is a librarian and support staff for each subject and they too will help you with anything regarding your course and are really good if you are struggling with researching material. Lecturers are enthusiastic about what they teach to help you develop. Most are also currently doing research related to their topic area, which is really useful. I've had a lot of support as well from my personal tutor too not just regarding work but my career path.

The student wellbeing service is helpful and offers a wide range of guidance. Alongside this is the union which offer lots of guidance and experiences while at university.

There are loads of societies to choose from and they accept people from beginners too. The societies are all really friendly. it would be worth checking out their social media to have a see what they offer. Every Wednesday afternoon is when societies are given time to train, so your timetable does not interfere. Then in the evening is when socials go out for Purple Wednesday, where everyone dresses up etc. Each society will choose a different theme that they will dress as e.g. zoo animals, cops and robbers, Hawaiian, aliens, dynamic duos etc.

Most clubs and bars are a 5-minute walk from university halls, so there is no worry in your first year about getting there and back. The train station, supermarkets, shops and Gunwharf Quays are all within a 10-minute walk from the halls. There are also lots of independent shops and bars etc along Albert Road in Southsea where a lot of students live after they have been in halls. The University bus runs every 20 minutes and is close to most student houses. A lot of shops, bars and clubs offer a student discount and I would say drinks and stuff are pretty cheap, especially on student night where drinks can be £1.

I would suggest looking at the university and union social media to get a feel for the university. Even if you get the chance to visit for the day, as there's plenty to visit and see in Portsmouth.

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

I hope this helps!
Best wishes
Chloe - Official Student Rep :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending