The Student Room Group

Self-teaching myself for the SQE- feasible?

Hi guys

I wanted to get your opinions on the new route for qualifying as a solicitor in the UK, namely the SQE. I don't want to spend my savings on doing the prep-course and then have to pay to sit the exam itself which is an extortionate amount of money. I was thinking about not taking the prep course and just self-teaching myself the content for the exams. My undergrad uni wasn't great at teaching, and I stopped attending lectures all together and self-taught myself the content attaining high 2:1s and 1sts so I know I could do it. I just wanted to know if anyone has been in the same position or has found a more affordable way of taking the prep course?

Thanks
moved to Law :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by neens88+
Hi guys

I wanted to get your opinions on the new route for qualifying as a solicitor in the UK, namely the SQE. I don't want to spend my savings on doing the prep-course and then have to pay to sit the exam itself which is an extortionate amount of money. I was thinking about not taking the prep course and just self-teaching myself the content for the exams. My undergrad uni wasn't great at teaching, and I stopped attending lectures all together and self-taught myself the content attaining high 2:1s and 1sts so I know I could do it. I just wanted to know if anyone has been in the same position or has found a more affordable way of taking the prep course?

Thanks

Yes, I did that for SQE1. I just got ULaw manuals and self-studied. I've passed both SQE1 exams (68% and 70%). Manuals are very good - concise and clear, with practice questions after each chapter.
Although for SQE2 exam preparation I took a short 6 weeks course at ULaw.
Original post by Eugenie7
Yes, I did that for SQE1. I just got ULaw manuals and self-studied. I've passed both SQE1 exams (68% and 70%). Manuals are very good - concise and clear, with practice questions after each chapter.

Was your first degree in law or another subject?
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
Was your first degree in law or another subject?

My degree was in law but in another jurisdiction.

Ah I see...it's not clear if OP already has studied law in some capacity or not. It might be harder if you haven't done any legal study before (even in another jurisdiction, as at least then you have some background in understanding how laws work conceptually I guess? :biggrin: ).

Original post by neens88+
Hi guys

Thanks

Did you have a law undergrad or non-law undergrad? If you have a law undergrad it sounds like as above it'll probably be straightforward enough to self-teach some of it. If not then it may be worth doing a course of some kind to get more structured teaching and feedback perhaps?
Reply 6
Hey! I am considering the same option now, as I think most of the content in SQE1 seems to be memory-work which requires little outside input. I, however, come from a Physics Master's background, and want to ask if I have any misconceptions about the course; what kind of materials would I need (could I learn through textbooks and the specification, or do I need special materials which the UoL or BPP offers?). Anyone with experience in SQE can weigh in with their opinion! Just checking to see if I have the right idea.
The difficult issue as SQE is so new is what will be the impact of not doing a course. Eg the City law firms in the City Consortium are putting non law graduates through the 2 term BPP PGDL law course first before an SQE1 course and exam (and then SQE2) because they want substantial studying and courses (either LLB or PGDL) of legal knowledge. So people may well qualify without an LLB or PGDL BUT it is likely to be harder to be hired by the higher paying firms - however we do not 100% know that as yet.

For those with a choice of a law firm paying for their PDGL/SQE1 and 2 courses and exam fees and 2 years of training I would certainly recommend that route instead.
Hi there, I’m selling 2021 Barbri SQE study guide volume 1 & 2 and SQE Final revision (please contact me if interested) for £150 [ebook ver]
Hi, how did you do it in SQE2? I am also considering taking a course for SQE2.

Any recommendation?
Original post by SChristensen
Hi there, I’m selling 2021 Barbri SQE study guide volume 1 & 2 and SQE Final revision (please contact me if interested) for £150 [ebook ver]

Hi are you still selling?
Reply 11

Thanks Eugenie. How long did it take you to study for the SQE1 using only the ULaw prep books and were you working at the same time? I have the books and looking to start my study plan but not sure where to start!
Reply 12

How long did you study for SQE1? I'm also qualified in another jurisdiction and recently did my bar/solicitor exams in my country so I'd like to do self-study but unsure what's an appropriate amount of time to allocate to studying.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending