The Student Room Group

Wow BPP really is as bad at admin as everyone says

This is just a caution for people really. BPP's reputation for teaching law seems fine, but before enrolling I saw multiple warnings that the admin and support side was terrible. I took this into account when weighing up my options, but I consider myself pretty self sufficient, I didn't think admin problems would affect me. But wow. I only officially started this morning but I would already recommend anyone against enrolling at BPP. I wish I hadn't done, if I could change to ULaw today I would.

I won't list everything but to give the example that has broken the camel's back... this morning I finally got my timetable, and was assured that it was final. I've made loads of expensive, non refundable childcare commitments this morning based on that. Now it's all been changed. I am fuming.

I phoned up to try and fix things, was on for 45 minutes then it just cut off.

That's just the latest in a long line of problems, I'm afraid I no longer trust a word I hear from them.

I was told exams were open book - then they were closed book.

Was told no hard copies of courseware would be provided. Now been told they will be provided and that this is new for this year. This seems to be straightforward gaslighting as everyone can see BPP GDL books on eBay.

By supplying the timetable so late it's made it very difficult to plan anything.

The standard reply to any issue is "raise a support ticket". I raised one very simple query on 9th August, and got a reply 9th September. Another took 3 weeks, another I still haven't heard back on from 2 weeks ago.
Sounds bad. You will probably need to call them as well as raising the support tickets and keep calling each day to get different and hopefully better people.
If you are starting the LCC/PGDL that has changed quite a bit over the last few years due to changing SRA rules and covid, but they should definitely be telling people before they are contractually committed if it is open book or not.
Most people won't have childcare commitments and a change of timetable just before it starts is probably not unusual but that is no comfort to you. I think a lot of things can be watched later an are recorded but I may be wrong, so if you cannot be at a specific session it may not matter that much.
Once the timetables is up and running it should be reasonably secure and unchanging.

So are they saying the BPP PGDL (law conversion course) 2023/24 is not open book? It never used to be open book but during covid as far as I remember it was fairly open book and option of online exams. May be they are reverting to pre-covid and perhaps to get people ready for their SQE year after as SQE is closed book just as the LPC used to be until Covid rendered it open book at BPP.
Reply 2
And just to let everyone know..... it's now changed again. One of my 4 modules is now not listed at all. I don't trust anything they say.
Reply 3
Original post by 17Student17
Sounds bad. You will probably need to call them as well as raising the support tickets and keep calling each day to get different and hopefully better people.
If you are starting the LCC/PGDL that has changed quite a bit over the last few years due to changing SRA rules and covid, but they should definitely be telling people before they are contractually committed if it is open book or not.
Most people won't have childcare commitments and a change of timetable just before it starts is probably not unusual but that is no comfort to you. I think a lot of things can be watched later an are recorded but I may be wrong, so if you cannot be at a specific session it may not matter that much.
Once the timetables is up and running it should be reasonably secure and unchanging.

So are they saying the BPP PGDL (law conversion course) 2023/24 is not open book? It never used to be open book but during covid as far as I remember it was fairly open book and option of online exams. May be they are reverting to pre-covid and perhaps to get people ready for their SQE year after as SQE is closed book just as the LPC used to be until Covid rendered it open book at BPP.

Thanks for your reply. The latest answer was that the exams are open book, but I've been authoritatively told both versions so I guess I will know on exam day.
Reply 4
And it's now changed yet again
Whether it is open book or not is really important people know before the sign up to a course. I think the PGDL is not determined by the SRA in the way the SQE course is so PGDL may vary more between different institutions on that topic. I remember in covid BPP got an extra year of open book/online exams when Univerity of Law did not although the year before they were similar as they were the year following that one so there has never been such a period of constant change (due to covid) and now the new SQE so it is seems very hard to find out vital information like that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending