The Student Room Group

Is criminology a good degree to take in uni

Hi there, I'm going to have to decide soon on which undergraduate degree to study. I wanted to know if it's a good degree to take if someone wants to get into policing or something to do in the field of law and crime?
Reply 1
I would really recommend talking to people in the job fields you want to get into! Really get an idea of what positions you’re interested in how what degree those people studied and got experience in etc
Original post by ALM109
Hi there, I'm going to have to decide soon on which undergraduate degree to study. I wanted to know if it's a good degree to take if someone wants to get into policing or something to do in the field of law and crime?

If you want to get into policing, why not do a funded degree apprenticeship?
Reply 3
Hey, I would advise to have a look around at the different courses and uni’s and what modules you like the sound of if you definitely want to go to uni. Some degrees are a joint honours such as law with criminology if you are torn between the two areas. If you like the sound of the criminology subjects more then you know it is for you however if you want to keep your options open a joint honour might be best. I know for policing it isn’t essential to have a degree most of the jobs and for the ones you need a degree in they don’t have to be criminology related it might just help you later on! Hope this helps!
Original post by ALM109

Hi @ALM109,

It's great to hear you're thinking about University, but there is a lot of choices and options so it can be a bit overwhelming!

Criminology is an interesting area to study, here at Chichester we have a few different course options for it. Here is a link if you'd like to find out more: https://www.chi.ac.uk/criminology-and-sociology/

Our courses cover all areas of criminal behaviour, going into topics such as terrorism and counter-terrorism, cyber-crime, as well as modules that will consider the role society plays with causing and rehabilitating criminal behaviour. It will cover the legal system too, however, if by "law" you mean to become a lawyer - we have separate law degrees with that intended career pathway. One of which is in fact combined with a criminology subject focus too, you can find more about that one here: https://www.chi.ac.uk/law/course/llb-hons-law-with-criminology/

I hope this helpful, it's a new subject area at our university but is quite popular and we get lots of questions about it too!

Any other questions then please do let me know :smile:

Tom
University of Chichester Alumni and student rep.
Reply 5
Original post by Blue_Cow
If you want to get into policing, why not do a funded degree apprenticeship?

Still deciding if i want to do an apprenticeship or go to uni. I am considering doing an apprenticeship tho
Reply 6
Original post by Hcc24
Hey, I would advise to have a look around at the different courses and uni’s and what modules you like the sound of if you definitely want to go to uni. Some degrees are a joint honours such as law with criminology if you are torn between the two areas. If you like the sound of the criminology subjects more then you know it is for you however if you want to keep your options open a joint honour might be best. I know for policing it isn’t essential to have a degree most of the jobs and for the ones you need a degree in they don’t have to be criminology related it might just help you later on! Hope this helps!

Thanks for your reply. :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by ChichesterStuRep
Hi @ALM109,

It's great to hear you're thinking about University, but there is a lot of choices and options so it can be a bit overwhelming!

Criminology is an interesting area to study, here at Chichester we have a few different course options for it. Here is a link if you'd like to find out more: https://www.chi.ac.uk/criminology-and-sociology/

Our courses cover all areas of criminal behaviour, going into topics such as terrorism and counter-terrorism, cyber-crime, as well as modules that will consider the role society plays with causing and rehabilitating criminal behaviour. It will cover the legal system too, however, if by "law" you mean to become a lawyer - we have separate law degrees with that intended career pathway. One of which is in fact combined with a criminology subject focus too, you can find more about that one here: https://www.chi.ac.uk/law/course/llb-hons-law-with-criminology/

I hope this helpful, it's a new subject area at our university but is quite popular and we get lots of questions about it too!

Any other questions then please do let me know :smile:

Tom
University of Chichester Alumni and student rep.

Hi Tom,
Thanks for your reply. I'm wondering if this uni accepts a WJEC level 3 diploma since I'm doing one for criminology in a-level and know that some uni's don't actually accept this as an A-level?
Original post by ALM109
Hi Tom,
Thanks for your reply. I'm wondering if this uni accepts a WJEC level 3 diploma since I'm doing one for criminology in a-level and know that some uni's don't actually accept this as an A-level?

No problem @ALM109, I'm happy to help.

But sorry for the delay in replying!

I've put your question to some of our Admissions team to make sure I get the right info for you. And yes, we do accept WJEC level 3 diplomas as equivalent to an A-level. So for our Criminology or joint Criminology and Sociology courses, a WJEC criminology diploma would be fine. The only one that's different is our Criminology and Forensic Psychology course which has a psychology or science subject requirement.

I hope this is helpful, if you have anymore questions or something else I could help with please do let me know!
:smile:

Tom,
University of Chichester Alumni and Student rep.
Reply 9
Original post by ChichesterStuRep
No problem @ALM109, I'm happy to help.

But sorry for the delay in replying!

I've put your question to some of our Admissions team to make sure I get the right info for you. And yes, we do accept WJEC level 3 diplomas as equivalent to an A-level. So for our Criminology or joint Criminology and Sociology courses, a WJEC criminology diploma would be fine. The only one that's different is our Criminology and Forensic Psychology course which has a psychology or science subject requirement.

I hope this is helpful, if you have anymore questions or something else I could help with please do let me know!
:smile:

Tom,
University of Chichester Alumni and Student rep.

Thanks for your reply. I am doing psychology for A-levels as well and so am considering doing forensic Psychology as well.
Original post by ALM109

@ALM109
You might be interested in a Police Constable Degree Apprenticeship (PCDA)

There is a useful article on policing on the UCAS website https://www.ucas.com/careers-advice/employment/how-to-become-a/police-officer

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Reply 11
Original post by Sraeesk
I would really recommend talking to people in the job fields you want to get into! Really get an idea of what positions you’re interested in how what degree those people studied and got experience in etc

thanks for the advice. I don't really know anyone who is in the field of policing though
Original post by ALM109

Hi @ALM109,

It can be really hard when you're first looking at courses and Universities it work out what's what can't it? I can see you've had loads of great replies already about what degree to take to get into Policing so hopefully that's helped a bit :smile: I just wanted to add that a little bit more information because, since Policing became a degree level job, there are a few different routes in:

- You can do a degree apprenticeship - this means you're employed as a Police Officer from day one, and you do a degree alongside it. If you're interested in this, you apply directly to the Police and the degree is offered through their partner University;

- You can do a degree and then apply for the 2 year degree holder entry programme (DHEP) with the Police. You would apply to the University for the degree and then afterwards would apply to the Police. If you choose this route, my suggestion is always to do a degree that you enjoy and are passionate about and do it somewhere that you'd be happy :h:

- You can do a professional policing degree - it doesn't guarantee entry to the police service, but it's a recognised entry route and it means you can do a shorter initial training period with the Police. If Policing is something you're really interested in, it might also be that this is a course you'd enjoy!

If you'd like to check these routes out a bit more, you can find information on Police and University websites. For example:

- You can find information on the degree apprenticeship and degree holder entry programme at Greater Manchester Police here: https://www.gmp.police.uk/police-forces/greater-manchester-police/areas/greater-manchester-force-content/careers/careers/police-officers/police-constables/pc-entry-routes/

- You can find more information on the Professional Policing degree we offer at Salford here: https://www.salford.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/professional-policing

I hope this helps - if you do have any other questions at all, please just shout :call:

Rowan
- University of Salford Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending